Pool 17 info

• james
    Ankeny Iowa

I have not seen anything on this pool for quite some time. Is it because it is closed for walleyes this time of year or just because no one fishes it. Just got a new boat and would like to get it in the water the next time it gets worm enough . Would be going to Muscatine (sp) Pool . Thanks for any and all info. Jim

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Jim,

I don’t have any information on pool 17 as far as fishing reports go but I do not believe that it is has a closed season on walleye or sauger. The tail waters below Lock and Dams #11, 12, & 13 are the only closed areas on the Mississippi according to the Iowa DNR. You should be able to fish the tail waters below Lock & Dam 14 and every dam down to the Missouri border as long as you can get a boat in the water. If you get a chance to get out please give us a report on how you did.

Eyehunter

james
    Ankeny Iowa

Eyehunter– Thanks for the info. Right now I’m still in the prosess of setting the boat up the way I want it. With my depthfinder, radio, trolling motor, Gps ,and the like. Hope we get a few days in Jan. or Feb. that are nice so I can get down there. Would rather go to Red Wing but Muscatine is close. Down and back in one day. If I get there I will let you know how I do. Jim

evileye
    Milan Il

Jim , Eyehunter is right on the money about the pools that are closed except I think 14 is also, I havent been down to 17 but this morning Pool 16 was open to fish the dam area,but with the cold weather coming in this weekend ???? congrats on the new boat

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Pool 14 is closed below lock and dam 13, but pool 15, below lock and dam 14 is open. Not sure if the fishing is any good there, as I’ve never fished that pool! Clear as mud now I bet
    We don’t seem to have many who report from the Muscatine area. I may have to get down that way as well some time in the next month or so
    Good luck, and let us know how you do!

james
    Ankeny Iowa

Thanks for the info guys. Right now just about all I need is some nice weather. I want to get this boat on the water and see how it is going to preform. I hope that Suzuki is all I’ve been told it is. Heard nothing but good about them. It would be nice to get a fish or two but just getting out will be enough . Will let you know if and when I go. Hope to get a report first on 17 .

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey John, i used to know a guy who fished the muscatine pool and get into some really nice saugers. He claimed he’d get huge ones that ran up to 5 pounds and that he weighed them. I know he’d talk about the walleyes he’d get there too.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Thanks Dan!
    I do know the fishing below the dam can be good there, and there are some good wings and trolling runs in Muscatine area, but I don’t have specifics. Not sure what the access areas are like, if there are any main channel ramps that may be open or not.
    I may be going that direction in a few days, if so I’ll check ramps and see what may be open.

theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

Hea James,

It was one of the better falls for fishing on the Muscatine pool. We caught as many walleye as sauger which is a switch for me anyway. I only got over to pool 17 a couple of times this year, which I would rather fish, but it wasn’t as good for me. They were working on the spillway most of the fall. Congats on the new boat! They are building a new boat ramp at Muscatine. There was nothing wrong with the ones that are there now, but the City is expanding their riverfront project (guessing), and they are moving the ramps upstream about a quarter of a mile.

herb
    6ft under

Here’s the number for Scott’s Outdoors 1-563-264-0084

haasfish

launch downtown Muscatine was open Monday will ice up with cold temps next three days possible. Sauger bite just so-so water dirty

hawkihot

I am getting a new lund myself and will be storing it at muscatine. I will be driving from ia city . Haven’t fished in years so I am really excited about Springs arrival. If you want to compare notes this summer you can contact at [email protected]. Would love to hear from pool 17 walleye fishermen!

hawkihot

Oops– this thread was started years ago! My bad. Lol

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.