Gander Mnt. LaCrosse

• bassmaster
    SE, MN

So I skip work tonight to go down to LaCrosse with the other half and boy to do some shopping and go out to eat. Well all went well until I got to Gander Mnt . I was looking for some traps for beaver trapping. Found what I was looking for but to no surprise no price tag on anything. One of the biggest things that drives me nut when shopping. So I find a worker who looked up the price for me. 18.89 each not a bad price Fleet Farm in Winona was 19.99 for the same traps. Beeing the prices where so close I didn’t question the price so I got 3 of them. When to the check out and yes they where busy that can be expected this close to deer hunting. So I’m talking with the other half in line about where to go to eat. Price rang up 74.00 and some change not thinking the other half threw down the charge card and away we went. About a mile down the road the price hit me. So after getting something to eat we went back. Thats when it got real ugly. I went back to the same worker that helped us before. I asked him if he remembered the price he told us and he said 18.89 each so I asked why the price difference. 23.09 is what they came to when checking out. Long story short they had the wrong sticker on one of the traps. What price did I end up paying…. 23.09 each even when there own employee said I was told the wrong price. I asked to speak to a manager and was told there wasn’t one avilable and that I could come back in the morning to adress the issue. The moral to this post:
    1. Watch your prices when you go there and find thing not marked.
    2. I know some of you out there are sponsered by Gander Mnt. of LaCrosse and just maybe the right person will read this and they will change there ways. Start marking prices on there stuff and admitt when they make an error and make it right with there customers.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

BassMaster,

Being from LAX, i’m there all the time, and I’ve noticed the same thing…I never see Price tags on things….Do you remember who you talked to? I would definitely stop back or call to clear this up. I think if you go back in the morning or call the manager, they might be more “understanding” of situation….I’ve never had Gander not stand by their word or product, and I would think they would correct this. Maybe the night staff isn’t equipped or in a position to make those kind of decisions??

Please let us know what happens…I hope it turns out well

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Talking to someone in the know the Manager could mark that down to the price they told you in the first place, if the manager can’t take care of you tomorrow, go ahead an pm me, I could give you a couple names and numbers. I doubt you’ll need that.
    or
    You could advise them of the price at Winona FF, they should match that price, then you’d will get double the difference off the price, so then you could get the traps for the 19.99, then double the difference back, you’ll end up paying 13.99 per trap…. which IMHO is better than 18.89…

fish4blue
    Holmen, WI

paul is the store manager, dale is fishing and i think mike is the one in hunting. i haven’t had a problem, so far, but i do buy the on sale or tagged items

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Never ceases to amaze me why it take as manager to do the right thing?!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I have spent a lot of time in the Gander at Onalaska and have never had a bad experiance there…No, I do not hunt, so that side of the store is off limits to me but the rest of the store i have been in

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

I dont think its any big secret on here that I too have had more than my share of difficulties with Gander Mountain. In fact I no longer even shop there due to the same reasons you are describing. It used to be a store with very knowledgable workers, but I think they have fallen into the mainstream of retail now, even the items they carry are no longer of a better quality in most cases. Anyway, use this link to send them an email, you will get a response and maybe, just maybe someone will listen! http://www.gandermountain.com/customerservice/

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

even the items they carry are no longer of a better quality in most cases.

Hey Hey Hey….

Starting Friday afternoon I will have the biggest display of BfishN Tackle for 100+ miles at the Gander Mountain Store in Onalaska !!

Ok so the cats out of the bag…just don’t pile in while i’m stocking up the shelves on Friday

But if your in the area do stop in and say hello !! I’ll be there around 3pm

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Bassmaster,

Paul Pierre is the store manager at the La Crosse. I know him well.(we went to college together) I know he will set things right for you. Just call him and explain your situation and he will do the right thing for you.

He’s there mostly during the day. 608-783-2820

waterswat
    WI

That is one of the main reasons I went to shopping at Cabela’s. There is always enough people around to take care of the situation and customer service is #1. Just my 2 cents.

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Believe it or not….I drove all the way to LaCrosse just for BfishN ringworms….360 miles round trip! Of course I fished while I was there too!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Someone should send the link to this post to the corporate office

jldii

I once had a similar situation at a Gander Mountain. I was buying a some reels. As it was in my situation, the price marked on the shelf was less than the price that came up when they scanned it at the check out. I ended up taking it up with the manager, and he gave me the lower price. It was my understanding that if any item is marked at a lower price than they should be, they will respect that price for that person, and make the nessesary changes afterwards. As it turned out, the price on the shelf was a mistake, and they still took care of me.

Another time I saw an ad for 29″ magnum goose field decoys at a good price. When I got to the store, they didn’t have any left, but substituted 32″ magnums in place of the others, and at the same price. It was such a good deal I bought 4 doz. instead of 2, and kept the extras at my friends house for awhile so my wife wouldn’t find out!

Good Luck, I hope it all works out well for you.

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Problem is, you are talking about the OLD Gander Mountain, before the Holiday and Burger Brothers and the Discount store attitude!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thats good thinking jldII thats what id do too. You gotta buy when the deals good. Look at it this way your saving money too plus you’ll probably kill more ducks and geese so your coming out better all around. More birds for the gallon. More decoys for a cheaper price. More fun while hunting. etc. etc. etc. It only makes sense to me to buy alot of hunting equipment this time of year or any time of year for that fact.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have seen both the good and the bad at that store. But, overall they are a pretty good store, but of course we don’t have a lot of choices in LAX I think there fishing department staff is great, the gun area is alright, but the archery area is definitely lacking.

Crankbait

Ecnook!!

Hey you wouldn’t be planning on hanging up any Chartreuse Pepper Superdoos would you? The B’Fish’N outlet is back-ordered on that color and I’m getting low.

Compared to the Rochester Gander, the Lacrosse/Onalaska store is way better for the fisherman. Of course it’s location near the mighty Miss might have something to do with that! After Dave’s Guitar Shop, it’s my favorite place to visit when I’m over that way. Thanks, Chris

jldii

Actually, this was only about 6-7 years ago. I don’t remember exactly when the changes took place with the ownership, but I’m pretty sure my experience was after the fact.

That said, I still think if you call the manager, and talk to him directly, something can be done for you.

I sure hope so, I just got a call this evening from my fishing partner who works for the new Gander in Mankato, and it looks like he and I are going to be sponsored by Gander next year as one of their pro staff teams!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I have had nothing but positive experiences with the fishing Dept. at Gander in La Crosse. Gun dept., well, I just won’t comment I guess.

redneck
    Rosemount

The Lakeville Gander kind of ran me around the other night. They had a pack of B-Fish-N jigheads on the shelf so I asked the kid “How much”? After much hem-hawing he decided that they must have been a sample or something and they weren’t for sale. I could have told him the price but he wasn’t interested since they weren’t in his computer. I left an unhappy customer and he ended up with a pack of jigs behind the counter. Then to top it of the paddletails I bought wouldn’t ring up at the counter. The UPC on them wasn’t in the computer either but that young man asked how much they were and punched something in the computer and they ACTUALLY sold them to me. New concept I guess. I’m rapidly coming to the conclusion that if you need anything from B-Fish-N either order on-line or go to Evert’s. Steve has a heck of a selection and he wants to sell them to you—go figure.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Where is our local Gander Mt. Pro? He should be in on this thread.

rgeister
    SW Wisconsin

Guys… my fishing season is over, so I don;t spend much time out here… sorry… I will say that I do spend quite a bit of time at the GM Store in Onalaska… like 1 trip a week all year… just to peruse the store or chat with the staff. I will admit that they lost a few of their most talented and long-time workers, but there is still a big level of committment by management to do what’s right. They recognize that to be the leaders in this business, taking care of EACH customer is key… they will make it right, just give them a chance.

Blue – you know the manager of the store that well, eh? Cool. I have found him to be a great guy, although most of my experiences have been with Dale Radcliffe, the fishing department manager… Dale does nothing but serve his customers and try and improve teh store by listening to his customers, his ProStaff, and monitoring the industry. Dale competes in Walleye and Bass tournies and is a top drawer guy. His wife makes some men cookies that Dale hands out to his loyal customers that fish in the Catfish Days Tourney each year… A real tradition!

Bottom line, Gander is a great store, with reputatble products, knowledgeable staff, and caters to the areas outdoorsman. Give them another chance…

As for why it takes a manager… my day job is a manager… sometimes it just does take one to hear all sides and do what’s right!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Bassmaster,

Did you resolve this w/ Gander Mtn? I hope you were able to recoup some of your $$$.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I just got back from Gander in Onalaska and there is the biggest supply of BfishN Tackle supplies for miles and miles around….

Thanks to Dale(right) and Steve(left) for making this happen. H2O Jigs, k-grubs,Ringworms,Paddletails and Super Doos all in one loaction….

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Ok guy I just got home and things went well with Gander today. I called Paul and delt with him when I went in today. I ended up getting the traps for less then I expected. He was happy I came back and was real cool about it all even when they are as busy as they where today. You would think for all the people in there deer hunting was about to start over there or something. It is just too bad it has to get to that point when all could be done away with if they just priced things better. They are by fare the worst store when it come to putting prices on thing or out. It is just great to have a sight like this one where you can vent and see your not the only one with the same problem.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m glad things worked out for you Bassmaster! Sounds like the beat your expectations! This is good!

Errors happen to us all everyday…it’s what we do about them that gives us a reputation.

I have to expand on my comment a while back…about “why does it take a manager?” This isn’t directed at just Gander…but many places..(including the company I work for)

Shouldn’t the employees be empowered to handle this type of situations? At least up to a certain dollar amount? Let’s flip it over to fast food for a moment. How many times have you ordered through drive through and found you’ve received the wrong order? You go inside, tell a worker and they have to get a manager. Why can’t the employee…just Listen to the compaint – Apologize – Satisfy them (whatever that is) and then Thank them for bringing it to their attention?
    It seems so simple. In the example at Gander, it seems that we are talkeing less then $10. but Bassmaster had to come back to have it made right.
    Again this “happened” to be Gander, it could have been anyplace.

Empower the front line workers to handle the little stuff and posts like this wouldn’t happen (as much)

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Steve is usually who I end up dealing with and he is a great guy and very helpful. He is one of those people that sells you what YOU want and not necessarily the most expensive item on the rack. I really appreciate that kind of service. ANyway, I am headed over there today to see what they have for ice fishing out on the racks

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I told ya they would take care of you Sometimes the worker bees just don’t have a clue.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.