Washing machine making funny noise

• skhartke
    Somerset, WI

My washing machine is making a funny noise, and I was wondering if anyone here is looking to make a little side money. If you know something about washers, or know someone who works cheap, please pm me.
    Thanks,

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ha Haaaa! Skhartke!

I’ve seen some pretty good posts on this board…some of them by me

This one just really hit my funny bone.

Sorry I can’t help you with this…although you might want to check for any walleye’s that may have fallen out of your clothing….

That’s what this site is for…information and networking! Rock on!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That noise is the machine running. Doing what it suposed to do. Once and a while that funny noise confuses my wife also.
    The dishwasher also makes noise when running.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

That is what I said last night. Didn’t go over too well….

jiggin

did you get it fixed yet? as long as its not in the top ( electrical) they are pretty simple to check out and usally fix yourself. just make sure you UNPLUG IT first! with some you can get in by just removing the front, others you have to take off sides also. if you do this you will se your motor,and a couple of pullies with belts. one goes to the tub, the other to the part that sucks the water out of the tub. with the machine UNPLUGED, you can probly spin the pulley by hand, with a little force. Check the belts for tears. make sure they aren’t too loose. if you have to replace a belt, make sure you watch how it comes off so you get it back on right. the belt that goes to the tub also rides against a spring loaded wheel. This is where you have to watch how the belt goes,and make sure that wheel rolls free. Look for signs of belt wear or motor problems. also, make sure your washer is level,as it could unbalance the load if its not

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Cooker,
    I haven’t gotten it fixed yet. Maybe I’ll try and tackle this on Sunday when I get back in town.
    Thanks for the advice!

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

What kinda funny noise and when does it do it? What part of the cycle?

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

It’s a squeely/squeeky noise sounds like it’s coming from the bottom of the agitator(no, that’s not me) It happens during the wash cycle.
    Thanks,

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Advance it through the steps without water in it and see if the noise is still there.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I’m leaving for a quick trip to Chicago today, and I’ll do that on Sunday. I’ll report back then.
    Thanks,

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

I’ll be on Winnie for the week so won’t be much help. Good Luck

Brian Lyons

What brand of washer and how old?

thanisch

As long as we’re talking about washer noises. My washer makes this screeching sound when the spin cycle shuts off and the tub is slowing to a stop. It doesn’t make the noise when it’s running though. Any ideas would be appreciated. I just know if I don’t figure it out that it will eventually cut into my fishing budget and we wouldn’t want that.

Brian Lyons

Same question as above. What brand? How old?

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

Have you tried taking ALL the sinkers out of your pockets before you wash your pants ? Makes a big difference in the drier also!

thanisch

I have a Maytag that’s about 5 years old.

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

Alot of the time when a machine squeels it’s the belt. If you unhook the belt and run the machine and the noise if gone you will know thats the problem. Other wise lube the pulley good good and anything else you can see that would need lubed. If that doesn’t work you better off buying a new machine because it might be the tranny and replacing that will cost about as much as a new machine.

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

Also if you buy a new one take a look at the front load model made by Frigidaire. They sell them at Sears also not as pricey as a Maytag. Don’t by a Whirlpool they are made in Mexico. The front load is a excellent machine uses less water and does a better job cleaning your clothes. The top load models work well but in a few yrs. they will not be made anymore do to water restiction’s nation wide. I work at a wash machine plant we are putting in another brand new front load line right now to get ready for the future.

Also about the only machines made in the US are Maytag and our brands Frigidaire, GE, and Kenmore brands. Whirlpool, LG, Samsung are all made out of the US. Just something to keep in mind for the future.

jonc
    Staples,Mn

ok what it sounds like to me is you need a new belt…

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Thanks for the heads up on the USA made brands Todd!

d00buck
    Colo, IA

Steve, I work part-time at a Maytag dealer. Sounds like possibly the topend of the tranny is starting to seize due I’m guessing to a leaking seal in the stemnut. May be time to start shopping, unless you know how to tear it down and shine the shaft back up, and replace the seal. Also requires a few specialty tools. Good luck!

d00buck
    Colo, IA

Troy, the first and easiest thing to try, would be to oil the brake assbly, it could be dry. Tip your washer back, and above the main pulley you will see the brake assbly. There is a somewhat ‘open area’ in the center, and you will notice a lip. Find something to squirt about a tblspn of 90wt oil up over this lip, and give it a try! If that’s not it, it could be the spin bearing in the outer tub, disassembly required, but well worth putting some $$ into! This info is based on a Dependable Care(commercial duty) model. If you have a Performa series, my best advice would be run it until you can’t stand it anymore, or it falls apart! I’m not too fond of the quality of those!

thanisch

Yes I have a performa model but I’ll try to take a look at lubing it up since that seems to be the common theme here.
    Thanks

d00buck
    Colo, IA

OK, for the performa series, one thing you can check is the snubber. It is a white plastic ring that sits underneath the the tub frame. They wear out pretty quick from what I’ve seen. The top swings up by depressing 2 spring clips with a small screwdriver or knife, then there are 2 5/16″ screws on top that hold the front on. Again, special tools needed to release the springs to pull the entire assbly out to replace this. I have used metal outlet boxes by stretching the spring(pushing the tub to one side or the other) and insert the box in the springs lengthways. Remove the belt, and a couple hoses, and the whole tub/tranny assbly pulls right out. Might be more work then you’re looking for tho!

PS-On this series, there is no oil in the brake assbly…shoots that idea!

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Okay, I have a Kenmore model, not sure of the series, or model #. It’s a squeeking noise that only happens when the machine is agitating. It doesn’t make any noise when it is spinning. Any ideas?
    Thanks,

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.