Take that doc!

• FryDog62

My father and hero has and still is the best fisherman I have ever known – from walleye to smallmouth to trout. He was always my inspiration and hero growing up. He’s enjoyed relatively good health his whole life but slowed down a bit this past couple years after a mild stroke.

Now at 85, he fell this winter and fractured a bone in his lumbar and whiplashed his neck. The doctors basically said its not worth doing an MRI to determine if he had additional fractures. Just make him comfortable and basically write him off. He’s old after all.

Well, after months of rehab he’s back home. His motivation was to get back out fishing again. I took him out for the first time this season today on Minnetonka and he caught a nice largemouth. Maybe not a monster, but huge in terms of him being back doing what he loves most.

So, here’s to the doctors that became his inspiration to make it back on the water!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Big catches are not always measured in size! Great read!

sandmannd

Good for him! Should have gone to another Doc and ordered they give him and MRI.

stuart
    Mn.

Good for him!

Sharon
    SE Metro

Awesome post! Put a smile on my face and I needed one today.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

So happy to hear that your father is doing well.

Remember, USA does not have a fully socialized health care system. If you don’t like the Dr’s recomendation you can always ask to do it anyway. or go see another one. Did you ask for the Dr’s rationale? if the MRI would have shown something else would you have wanted surgery? Sounds like the rehab that had a Dr’s order for sure did help though.

If you don’t want a doctor’s advice you don’t have to go.

FryDog62

An hour later, the Great Fisherman returns to his couch and passes out with a can of Perrier in his hand. Priceless!!

louis-robinson
    dodge co. mn

Great post…and good for you and your dad
    Enjoy every single moment …. I wish my pops was still around so I could repay him for all the fishing trips he took me on…I will always remember him saying all the time.” Boy I cant wait till your old enough to drive so you can take me fishing”….that still makes me chuckle…
    Thanks for the post…

minnesota_tom
    Grand Meadow, MN

Dreamin’ about the next outing already. Awesome!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Atta Boy Dad !!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

So, here’s to the doctors that became his inspiration to make it back on the water!!

Send his Dr’s the link to this thread. I’ll just leave it at that.

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

That’s awesome! WTG dad.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

That will be a picture you cherish for the rest of your life!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Great read and pics. to the both of you.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

It’s great to hear he’s doing much better! Having fished with your Dad, it was easy to see his passion for living life to the fullest! Thanks for sharing! Here’s to many more big fish

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Who prescribed the rehab?

FryDog62

That was almost exactly 2 years ago – and we had my dad for an incredible run until early this morning when he left us for “better waters.” An unbelievable guy that will be sorely missed by everyone that knew him.

A big thank you to Joe Scegura, who took my dad and I on a guided trip last October where my dad caught his final fish.

Rest in peace dad – and an eternal Happy Father’s Day ~

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3494.jpg

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

So very sorry for your loss. You’ll be comforted by great memories of dad until you see him again.
    You and your family are in my prayers.

matt

Sorry for your families loss

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Prayers and thoughts to you, your family and your dad.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Sorry for your loss. Enjoy all those great memories.

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    SW Michigan

So sorry for your loss. I know how it feels, lost my Dad in early June. My thoughts and prayers go out to your dad and your family.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sorry to hear about you dad today FD.

Just think, you had what, 2 years of being together after the Dr. told you he “was old” and he showed the Dr differently.

As long as he’s in your heart, he will never die. From reading your posts I can tell he’s going to be with you anytime you’re in the boat or need him.

Holler if I can do anything for you.

FryDog62

You’re a class act BK, I know you just lost your mom too. Dad and I had stopped over to Everts a couple times but always seemed to miss you unfortunately. I appreciate your comments and everyone else’s… Thanks, FD

CaptainMusky

Awesome tribute to your dad and great to see he still has it! Bragging rights just after a bitty nap. Lol

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.