Morels in the Northwoods

• Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Morels started popping up recently on south facing slopes around Ely. The last week was hot and dry, but this rain should get the crop growing good. We mostly have grays up here and they tend to be smaller than ones further south, but what they lack in size they make up for in flavor!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Good to hear. Only found two yesterday on the south side of the twin cities. One was pretty well dried up. Been a poor season for me this year.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Pretty much done here. Sold 14lbs but was anticipating a lot more Just didn’t materialize. Never found a one in my two favorite spots!!!

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

grand-kids went out into our back woods this morning and brought in a dozen. Amazing considering our woods are less than 1/3 of an acre. Found them in a fairly small area at that… and didn’t look around. LIkely to be a lot more.

MikeLarson

I found as many as a guy could eat on Craigslist

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

I had a strange/bad year at 20lbs. Seems like the “best spots” being dead was a common occurrence this year.

carmike

Down here (around St Cloud), I find almost all of mine around dead elm trees.

I assume it’s a bit different farther north…What kind of forest/trees are the best for morels up there?

DIRTBALL2
    WARROAD,MN.USA

I’m always jealous of you guy’s that live in the southern part of Minnesota! You get to start finding morel’s long before I do up here by LOW! After much waiting and anticipation, they finally put in an appearance up here yesterday! I found over 3 dozen! The best part? They were right in my own yard! I drove over to my neighbor’s and found another dozen as I was driving down his driveway. I’m in hawg heaven now for sure! Yum, yum, yummy! DIRTBALL2

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.