Huge Fish!

• Zach H

Didn’t know they even could get this big…crazy! Kinda sad to know that they snagged it. How old is a fish this size?

Big Fish

4walleye
    Central SD

The biologists aged the fish at 60 years old. Just think that fish hatched out in 1953! They are filter feeders and the only way you can get one is by snagging. I have a tag and caught and released about a 35# today. They are a very power full fish especially when you get one in fast water. Looking forward to catching and releasing some more and one smaller one for the table. This is my first time fishing for Paddle fish but catching one was on my bucket list.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Thats a dandy! I got to see one first hand about a month ago when i was on pool 4 fishing with a fellow IDO member and he snagged into one and i bet it was pushing 90-100 lbs. it was crazy!!

iceman35
    upstate New York

New York has a small hatchery program trying to restore paddlefish to its native range in the very western part of the state… Along with its sturgeon program which is starting to show results…. very interesting stuff.
    Very old fish that should be enjoyed and released…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Seems odd to have a catch and release rule for fish you have to snag. Are there regulations on hook size?

Just sayin it is odd, I am sure that it doesn’t do much harm and certainly rarely would mortally wound a fish.

4walleye
    Central SD

In South Dakota a 2/0 Treble is the largest hook size you can use.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Perfect. Thanks for the info.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Unless a guy can perfect a way to rig up some plankton on a tiny little hook, snagging is going to be the only option. Congrats to that man!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Unless a guy can perfect a way to rig up some plankton on a tiny little hook, snagging is going to be the only option.

I understand that. You probably wouldn’t need the plankton. You’d have to figure out a magical technique to get the line past the spoon and into the gaping mouth, since they mostly feed while remaining stationary.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Sight fish the Flying Lure?!?!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ha! You might be onto something there.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Everyone that I know that does it says most of the time the fish is snagged in the paddle which is hard as bone. Even if you get one in the skin, their skin is tough and leathery so it doesn’t do so much damage to endanger the fish. The mortality is probably lower than bait fishing for walleyes sadly.

Pretty impressive fish! I bet he had quite a battle

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.