News Release

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

News Release

Klobuchar, Franken, Ellison, Paulsen, Walz, Nolan Provision to Keep Invasive Carp Out of Minnesota’s Waterways Included in Final Water Infrastructure Bill

The bipartisan provision, which will now go to the full Senate and House of Representatives for final approval, would help fight the spread of invasive carp by closing the Upper St. Anthony Falls Lock within one year

WASHINGTON, DC – U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar along with U.S. Senator Al Franken and U.S. Representatives Keith Ellison, Erik Paulsen, Tim Walz and Rick Nolan announced today that their bipartisan provision to keep invasive carp out of Minnesota’s waterways has been included in the final water infrastructure conference bill. The provision, authored by Klobuchar in the Senate and Ellison in the House, would help fight the spread of invasive carp – also known as Asian carp – by closing the Upper St. Anthony Falls Lock within one year. It will now go to the full Senate and House of Representatives for final approval.

“The spread of invasive carp poses a major threat not only to Minnesota’s environment, but also the recreation and fishing industries that help power our state’s economy and create jobs,” Klobuchar said. “I fought hard to include this critical lock closure provision in the final bill so we can stop these invasive species in their tracks.”

“Invasive carp in Minnesota’s lakes and rivers would prove disastrous for our fishing, boating, and tourism industries, which support thousands of jobs and contribute so much to our state’s economy,” said Franken. “I’m very pleased that our bipartisan measure to control and prevent the spread of these carp in Minnesota is one step closer to becoming law.”

“I’m proud that a bipartisan and bicameral push to protect Minnesota’s waterways from invasive carp will soon be headed to the president’s desk,” Rep. Ellison said. “Closing the little-used St. Anthony Falls Lock is the best way for us to slow the spread of invasive carp in Minnesota and to protect the natural resources that are critical to Minnesota’s economy and our way of life.”

“Time is running out to stop Asian carp from jeopardizing Minnesota’s ecological and economic health,” Rep. Paulsen said. “The provision included in the WRDA conference report is important to help prevent the spread of invasive species in our lakes, streams, and rivers.”

“These invasive carp pose a serious threat to Minnesota’s waterways and our multi-billion dollar tourism and sportsmen industry,” Rep. Walz said. “We must do all we can to stop them in their tracks. I’m pleased this provision was included in the WRDA conference report but the fight doesn’t end here, it begins here. We must stay on the offensive if we are to eliminate not only the threat of invasive carp, but the hundreds of other invasive species that hazard our waters.”

“Closing the lock and dam at St. Anthony Falls is our best and last chance to prevent Asian carp from invading the Mississippi watershed and destroying its native habitat,” Nolan said. “I’m pleased that this bill also includes my companion amendment redefining “invasive species” to include animal life as well as plants, adding another weapon to our arsenal in the fight against Asian carp, zebra mussels, and hundreds of other invasive species that threaten our Great Lakes and Minnesota waters.”

The provision is supported by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Audubon Minnesota Waters, Minnesota Seasonal Recreational Property Owners, Anglers for Habitat, Clean Water Action, Minnesota Coalition of Lake Associations, National Wildlife Federation, Fish & Wildlife Legislative Alliance, Mississippi River Fund, Minnesota Division Izaak Walton League of America, Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy, Minnesota Trout Unlimited, National Parks Conservation Association, and Friends of the Mississippi River.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

Great news. Hope it passes!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I would have posted this in the MN General Forum, but this is the beginning of changes throughout the Mississippi and other River Systems.

The biggest threat we have to America’s lakes and waterways is in St Paul and Washington DC.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Quote:

The biggest threat we have to America’s lakes and waterways is in St Paul and Washington DC.

There are cat fisherman in DC too?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We should probably hold a parade for such a great bipartisan accomplishment!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

“Closing the lock and dam at St. Anthony Falls is our best and last chance to prevent Asian carp from invading the Mississippi watershed and destroying its native habitat,” Nolan said

What a joke. Guess those lakes and rivers in southern and western mn are just SOL as far as Asian Carp are concerned. You are not included in this “last chance” plan.

Got to wonder what the next last chance step will be?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Closing all locks down stream to recreational traffic. <-

I wish I was joking.

desperado

You don’t ever want to let a crisis to go to waste; it’s an opportunity to do important things that otherwise wouldn’t have been possible

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Can’t we just let Carbon Pollution* take care of them?

*See Climate Disruption**

**See Climate Change***

***See Global Warming

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

Closing all locks down stream to recreational traffic. <-

I wish I was joking.

My guess would be live bait wont be far from hitting the chopping block. That will surely stop the spread.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Funny you mentioned that Mike.

One of the pieces we are struggling with for the use of catching shad with cast nets is the possibility of catching juvenile invasive carp.

Since they would be used as bait on the water they came from and any left overs would have to be disposed of properly (not returned to the water) I would hope we castnetters would catch a bunch of them…

The use of castnets is a little more complicated than the above, it’s just one of the issues were working against.

desperado

just agree to a requirement that drain plugs to be removed from cast-nets during transport … that should satisfy the tyrants

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Men are expendable. It’s the mission that counts.

desperado

Some days, there just aren’t enough rocks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Very well put Forrest.

c_hof
    New Richmond, WI

Post deleted by C Hof

desperado

Franken, Klobuchar, and Ellison meant to say … “Diversity Carp”

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

What a joke. Guess those lakes and rivers in southern and western mn are just SOL as far as Asian Carp are concerned. You are not included in this “last chance” plan.

There is still enough real estate down there, and not enough want from businesses to develop those areas……yet. Anybody know what this bill would include for compensation for the businesses north of the falls?
    Been a part of some remodels right off Boom Island in the high rise condos and there is no shortage of wealthy people who will spend some $$ for waterfront, but being its from a couple dems wonder if they have any section 8 housing going up right around the Washington ave Dowling Broadway area? I would assume not, those types don’t bring in the campaign finance like the former. Rant over, as much as I would like to see positive development, have it be in the name of a fish is twisted in my eyes.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

^^ and that’s what it’s all about.

desperado

but .. but … but … you’re racist, it’s Bush’s fault, and besides we gotta do it for the children

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I wonder how much it cost the developers to by off both parties to get this through.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Not very much when a person realizes the only way they can get their products is by truck after the river is shut down.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

I wonder how much it cost the developers to by off both parties to get this through.

I’m obviously speculating, my only knowledge of politics come from a few books and general common sense, but I bet very few dollars exchanged hands now, or ever. But possibly investment opportunities, free penthouse for a few years, heck maybe even just one card these politicians played to setup another one they really care for, who knows. Fact is it is all just a game that WE are not a part of, never have been, and perhaps, never will be. Doesn’t mean a guy can’t be a freaking thorn in their side though
    Who’s up to chain themselves up to the lock with me!! Cmon, let’s get active, an while we are at it might as well get some cut bait out there too!!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.