Spring Lake Hastings

• koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Is there a park or area by Spring Lake I can take my dog out to do some water training?

The ponds around my area get scummy once the weather warms up and I don’t want my dog swimming in them.

What about lakes around the south east metro?

gbfan10
    Hastings, mn

The spring lake launch would work well for that. You could also go right in town to lake Rebecca.

Palerider77

You could use the boat launch area off of Hillary Path, it is a minimum maintenance road so might need your 4wd after it rains.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Kraig,

I fish for cats at spring lake often and its common to see people bring dogs to do water training. The bottom is pretty sandy we sometimes are to lazy to bring boat so we sit in lawn chairs. Not much for weeds just the occasional floating debris after storms or high water and the landing is in a very low current area. The road is minimum maintenance and very sandy at the bottom especially after a gully washer. The launch is only good for small fishing and duck boats as you are launching in the sand.

Mwal

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

That’s sounds exactly what I’m looking for.

Will I need 4wd to get to this area?

I’m starting force fetching in a week or 2.

Water work later once my dog will retrieve to hand.

We’ve got a lot of work to do this summer but I’m looking forward to it.

Thanks guys.

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Quote:

I’m starting force fetching in a week or 2.

Water work later once my dog will retrieve to hand.

I remember those days. I checked my training log on my current dog. It took me exactly 13 days from start to finish for force fetch train (3 – 10 minute intervals a day). The dog did not ever need much “forcing” either. Picked up everything as directed – from cans to sticks to dead birds – after the 13th day for me and we never looked back after that. She hunted in Canada for two straight weeks at age 7 months and did excellent for a pup. She’s now 12.5, completely retired, and resting comfortably by my feet. ….Best trained hunting dog I’ve ever owned and I trained her all myself.
    Good luck with your dog.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Kraig,

Many people go down there in cars. Just know that the road itsself can have loose sand the parking lot is fine. My son drove his Honda down there regularly but he knew better than to slow down in a sandy spot. I did water work there with my Draht and my buddies labs many times. Yes do the force fetching it won’t take long with a Draht. Just be persistent and end each session on a good note. I will never have another dog that is not force fetched. Never needed for fetching but it reinforces that you are the master and cannot be questioned. I think last fall Was Gereta’s last as a hunter 11 good seasons now she gets really sore and cannot hunt all day and needs couple days to recover.

Mwal

Mwal

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

We had Bolts VJP last weekend. For a couple of first timers we did pretty good.

Scored 68. I wasn’t sure what to expect. Up until 3 days before his test, Bolt wasn’t holding his points. Just blasting right into the bird.

He’s got a lot of drive. Almost to the point of insanity.

I’m expecting him to struggle against the force fetch to begin with. He’s got a very strong will. I’m sure it’ll take more that 3 weeks for us.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.