Fishing opener and Mothers Day?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Any good ideas for dealing with this this year? As usual wont be home to take her out for diner. Telling her “your not my mother” doesnt go over real well. Might have to come up with something new this year.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Give her project disguised as a gift, buy a pre-fab garden bed and buy everything to put in it; dirt, flowers, veggies, etc.

I built the boxes last year, kept my Gal and the Grandmas busy all day on Saturday and Sunday.

Then call her when your fishing and tell her you can’t wait to see how good it looks.

I finished the rest a couple weeks later.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Can leaf bags and gas for the mower count as gifts?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Quote:

Can leaf bags and gas for the mower count as gifts?

Those sound more like funeral announcements.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Great question Mike.

Being new parents this is actually my first year facing this dilemma. Kellie has given me the OK to stay the whole weekend, but I’m trying to decide if since it’s her first official Mother’s Day should suprise her by coming home or would that just be setting a bad precidence for the future?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

2 words – Dozen Roses.

-J.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

four words “get used to it”

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I cant imagine all the fights and heartache this has caused over the years. What a shame.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Just let her know every day is mothers day and walleye opener is only 1 weekend a year. Then book her massage, leave the credit card and run before she hits you…

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

My wife and kids and I fish together every opener. My daughter called from Scheels in Fargo today to get some advice on tackle. I’m very proud of their angling prowess. Glad I don’t have to deal with it!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

well trained belletaine!!!

Mark

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Luckily my wife knows not to mess with the opener,fall full moon and the rut……only things I write on the calendar. Everything else is negotiable

Anonymous
    Inactive

Quote:

four words “get used to it”

six words. “and that’s when the fight started”

chomps
    Sioux City IA

my wife actually likes it when I leave, I do have to explain to her the great lengths one has to go through to bring home fresh fish. I get her a gift, pay the kids to take her out for dinner. This is the first Mothers day in 26 years where I’ll be home. When we were dating, I went out on Opener with my dad and brothers and said “get used to it” My brothers and I do send the ladies out on a “payback trip”. They get to spend a week in Florida on us.

deertracker

Living within 20 minutes of some great walleye lakes helps. When we had the cabin on Milly I would drive home early sunday morning.
    DT

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Great question Mike.
    Being new parents this is actually my first year facing this dilemma. Kellie has given me the OK to stay the whole weekend, but I’m trying to decide if since it’s her first official Mother’s Day should suprise her by coming home or would that just be setting a bad precidence for the future?

This situation is fraught with danger.

Don’t worry though. The worst that can happen is that you decide wrong and we hear that you died in an unfortunate accident after you somehow backed over yourself with your own boat trailer.

Grouse

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Skipping one opener every 3 years is about all she expects, and about all I can handle.

Blasphemy maybe, but opener doesn’t seem to pull the weight it use to. Wait a week and let the guys who didnt run their motors get the kinks worked out.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Blasphemy maybe, but opener doesn’t seem to pull the weight it use to. Wait a week and let the guys who didn’t run their motors get the kinks worked out.

x2

With a young family, I am fine hanging home this weekend and keeping momma happy.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.