Wild, Wild, Wild.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

He was contributing right up to the playoffs, he’s just kind of disappeared in the postseason. I just don’t think he’s willing to go to the dirty areas and get physical and it really shows in the postseason when that brand of hockey is required. He did score the 1st empty netter in game 6 though, an easy but important goal.

If you watch the replay of that goal, it wasn’t that easy. He had perfect timing and he waited for the Avs defender to hit the ice, then he saucered the puck right over him. It was a sweet little skill play that could easily have gotten blocked if he hadn’t played it right.

The thing about having a contributor like Pominville going into a goal slump is that he’s going to come out of it. The “when” could be just when we need it.

Word on Kuemper is concern about re-concussion led them to pull him. Obviously, as usual, all we’ll hear from the team is “upper body injury”, because that’s much more clever and keeps the other team guessing because no one in Chicago has cable or newspapers or the internet, so they’ll have no idea that he’s questionable. Coaching Genius Mike Yeo came up with this “vague injury report” strategy.

Grouse

shamus
    Inactive

Right on. I guess I meant easy because there was no goaltender to stop the puck. Also I’m pretty sure most teams use those vague terms to describe injuries and it wasn’t invented by Yeo. I could be wrong though.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Poms has also shown signs of heating up. Maybe not as a goal scorer, but he’s had a couple nice dishes recently.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Coaching Genius Mike Yeo came up with this “vague injury report” strategy.

So he’s the first to generalize body injuries as upper or lower body?

Last night was a pretty good win, in spite of Yeo.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

If I recall didn’t Denver win the division? So they aren’t exactly the little sisters of the poor that the Wild played. The more the 3rd & 4th lines chip in on the scoring the less the Hawks can concentrate on the top two lines, leading to more chances.

Besides…………..does it really matter who scored or who played net? The name of the game is get to the next series no matter how you do it. The Wild got it done, what happened yesterday or the day before doesn’t matter.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

In the grand scheme of things, no it doesn’t matter.

The Hawks are a much more balanced team and it is going to be a greater task than the Avs proved to be. They have better defencemen and their game is different than the Avs free wheeling style.

It should be an interesting series of match ups, since we can’t just concentrate on shutting down one team. To that end, Yeo in the last few games worried less about match ups. That may prove to be beneficial moving forward.

We are tough top to bottom if the team plays like they did the last couple of games and play how they did at home.

Unsung hero of last night was cody McCormick. He had a strong game as well.

PB2

Quote:

Quote:

Congrats on your NEW multi year contrac Mike Yeo!

Most preposterous post of the year candidate for sure..

Mike Yeo invents upper and lower body injury report strategy…

PB2

Pug one word!

+5…

deertracker

According to my Wild app, the next series is only on NBC Sports.
    DT

big_g
    Isle, MN

Yep, 220 on DirectTv

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

According to my Wild app, the next series is only on NBC Sports.
    DT

Well maybe the local opinion of the refs will change a bit because of a national broadcast.

PB2

You guys that dont have access to that channel could take advantage of internet streaming option’s.

shamus
    Inactive

Quote:

A broadcast I won’t see.
    DT

Just out of curiosity, what cable/dish provider doesn’t have NBC Sports Network? I’m assuming you have cable/dish if you were able to watch games on FSN.

Bummer for you though, internet streaming sports really is awful.

deertracker

I have dish but you need a package higher than what I have to get it.
    DT

deertracker

What channel is it on dish so I can double check? I missed some of the olympic hockey games because of it as well.
    DT

big_g
    Isle, MN

Looks like it is on 151 on DISH…. which is in the Americas TOP 250 plan and the EVERYTHING plan.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Don’t worry about missing it. It will be a 5-4 Wild win in 4 over times. Hardly worth watching.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Grouse better not read today’s paper. I read some stories online and at least 2 were praising the staff and Yeo.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Grouse better not read today’s paper. I read some stories online and at least 2 were praising the staff and Yeo.

They signed Yeo to a 23 year deal.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Congrats on your NEW multi year contrac Mike Yeo!

Most preposterous post of the year candidate for sure..

Mike Yeo invents upper and lower body injury report strategy…

You and Pug must have your sarcasm detectors turned off.
    Obviously, I know most teams/coaches do it. I’m just laughing at how preposterous it is to think that there’s any kind of competitive advantage in this.

So you’re right, that’s another thing that Mike Yeo didn’t invent. You Yeo lovers out there are great at telling me all the things he DIDN’T do.

Not that there are any easy matches in the playoffs, but the Blackhawks are going to be tough. Wild have to find a way to steal some games in Chicago.

I can see why Sharp wanted the Avs. With their speed but lack of depth, the Avs would have had a much tougher time against a bigger and more balanced BH team. Ultimately, it was the balanced attack that did it for the Wild.

If the Wild can keep up the balanced scoring, don’t get screwed by miserable officiating, and get a little puck luck, they can make life difficult for Chicago. Not sure how that translates as far as the chances for winning the series, but if they could grab one in Chicago, win both at the X, anything can happen.

Grouse

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

You guys are kidding about the Yeo contract extension, right? Right? Please!

OK, I’ll tell you what. I’ll take back all the things I said about Yeo if he manages to coach the team to an epic series win against the Blackhawks. Fair enough?

Grouse

big_g
    Isle, MN

You might want to try and call DISH and see if you can get that channel… I know I have called DirectTv with “specific” channel requests and they usually oblige. I have gotten a few channels, that are not in my package, added for $1 more a month.. they usually tack on a couple “no watch em” channels too, kinda “sub packages” as it was. Worth a shot…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Deertracker, I’m pretty sure its also on America’s 200, $10 a month over the 120+ plan, it maybe worth a call.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Quote:

OK, I’ll tell you what. I’ll take back all the things I said about Yeo if he manages to coach the team to an epic series win against the Blackhawks. Fair enough?

Grouse

Grouse, I’m not a big Yeo fan either but sports is all “what have you done for me lately” I think the Avs series saved his for at least two more years and probably three.

shamus
    Inactive

Last year and half of the season I wanted Yeo gone, but I’ve changed my mind and now think that he’s earned his shot to stick around. I think he, along with the young talent, on this team went through some growing pains, but its come together for him at the right time. Yes, I probably have the “what have you done for me lately” mentality, but I started to turn when the team ended that nosedive half way through the season.

Yeo isn’t going anywhere so you might as well sit back and get used to it for a bit. He will get extended no matter the outcome of this series

PB2

Quote:

Deertracker, I’m pretty sure its also on America’s 200, $10 a month over the 120+ plan, it maybe worth a call.

Just add the channel/s for a month.

Im more of a Kuemper guy but it looks like we are rolling with Bryz.
    With the way the team defense is playing we should be alright.

I think are biggest problem will be figuring out Crawford who pretty much won the series for the Hawks over the Blues.
    Special teams will be huge too obviously.

Go Wild

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Grouse

Grouse, I’m not a big Yeo fan either but sports is all “what have you done for me lately” I think the Avs series saved his for at least two more years and probably three.

Yes, I agree with you.

And to be honest, it’s not that I think Yeo is BAD. I just don’t think he’s GOOD because when I look around the league at the relative experience levels he’s up against, he doesn’t inspire any confidence in me. Is he a bad choice? Maybe not “bad”. But…

Just look at Roy. Yes, he’s a “rookie coach”. With a very long playing career, dozens of playoff wins, and having hoisted the Cup what, twice? Or was it 3 times? Whatever, I’m not going to look up and regurgitate his stats. Point is that in his “rookie” year of coaching he took his young team all the way to a Playoff Game 7. And where were the Avs at this time last year?

In terms of “good enough”, Yeo is getting it done. I just think the Wild could do better.

Like I said, if Yeo’s wild can beat the Blackhawks…

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Like I said, if Yeo’s wild can beat the Blackhawks…

Grouse

I really am not trying to convince you. If you changed your mind, then the Wild discussions are going to get less interesting. A lot of being a fan of sports is about opinions, just like politics.

Yes, Roy is a heck of a coach. I fully anticipated his team tanking about half way through the season. I’ll be interested in seeing how he does next season.

I think our division is the toughest in the league. Hawks, Blues, Avs and Wild are top teams, and then you got the plucky jets and Stars.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.