CPAP mask’s?

• TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

Do to being diagnosed with severe apnea I have a machine that I picked up a week ago. I went with the nasal pillow because I am not entirely sure I wanted the head gear at night. I am not sure if I like the nasal pillow yet because it seems like it starts to shift halfway through the night. It might be because I am not used to it but it seems like I am not gaining any sleep because I am have to wake to readjust the nasal pillow.

What kind of masks are people using and do you like it? Am I just jumping to conclusions on the nasal pillow because it is to soon or should I look to another style. They gave me 30 days to decide.

How long did it take to get used to it?

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

I use a Resmed Mirage Quatro mask and find it comfortable. I haven’t tried a nasal pillow. It does take some time to adjust and you just have to stick with it and not give up. The biggest mistake you can make is to give up. Talk to your doctor or mask supplier if you think you need to try something else. Good luck.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I couldn’t stand the mask
    Went to the nasal pillow and all is good
    Yes it shifts around once in awhile but keep it snug on your head and you’ll be good
    I’ve been using that set up for over 3 years now and still wake up at night from time to time to re adjust it but I knock out again rather quickly
    I gave up on the mask after about 3 nights and gave up on the whole program for about 3 months but ever since I went with the nasal pillow thing I have been going on 4 years now with better sleep
    Running out of warm,moist water now is the only thing that wakes me up
    Good luck and don’t give up

tr
    Plymouth

Hi Taztyke, I have the same issue, I have had the Cpap issue for over 10 years, the unit I use is the mask that goes over your nose but it is strapped on with the hose that delivers the airflow at your prescribed level. I as well as my wife had better sleep the first night I started using it. it didn’t take me long to get used to it at all. the hard part is to remember you cannot roll over at knight and you need to remember to take it off before you get out of bed and walk away, yes I will admit to doing both a couple of times. hope you find something that works for you as I did, has made my life much better.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I use the one that just goes over the nose and I love it. I don’t think I personally would like the pillow, especially after what I am hearing. Once I am out, I am out for the night. Nothing wakes me up. If it needed adjusting in the middle of the night, I wouldn’t wake up. And I am compulsive about not having any leakage.

I have no problem falling asleep with it.

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

I started using a CPAP on Feb. 15th. I have a True Blue Nasal/nose mask and have little problems with it. Twice I have somehow taken it off during the night and didn’t even realize it until morning. I really like mine. I tried the pillows during my sleep study and did not like them. I too just disconnect the hose when I have to get up in the night, push it back onto the mask and go right back to sleep. I keep the hose above my head and can roll form side to side with no problems.

bratholk
    NULL

It’s a [censored] if your power goes off !

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

It’s a [censored] if your power goes off !

X2

I use a Resmed Ultra Mirage Mask,
    Tried another type for a few weeks early on, but the mask works great for me, 12+ years now

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I have the nasal pillows and I really like them. It takes a little messing with the straps for the pillows to keep them in place well but once you get that figured out for tightness and placement on your head they work great.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

On a side note, I think it is funny how every morning I wake up and think the machine is off. I don’t even notice it.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I use the ResMed Mirage FX Nasal mask, could not get used to the pillow style during my study.

HRG

DIRTBALL2
    WARROAD,MN.USA

My thanks go out to Taz Tyke for starting this thread! Without it I never would have learned that there is such a thing as the nasal pillow! Along with sleep apnea I also have narcolepsy, both of which I have been struggling for about the last 20 year’s. I have tried and tried but I just can’t deal with the full facial mask. I’ll sleep for about 3 hour’s and wake up wired and unable to get back to sleep.The device I am using is the Remstar Auto which work’s fine but is quite noisy! I also have to use the chin restraint because my big mouth tend’s to drop open. Right now I have a call in to the CPAP clinic at the VA Hospital in Fargo to explore whether or not the nasal pillow might be an option for me. Thanks again Taz Tyke for bringing this subject up! DIRTBALL2

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I wear the chin strap as well.

KG25
    Lakeville, MN

I’ve been using a cpap for about 2.5 years. I am using the ResMed Swift FX nasal pillows. I was diagnosed 10 years ago but the masks were worse back then and I could never sleep with the bigger masks that went over the whole nose, so I stopped using the machine. These nasal pillows are great for me, I have slept with them every night since I restarted 2.5 years ago.

I also get annoyed by the hose dangling over me during the night since I switch sides frequently. I did some research and found hose holders that keep the hose above your head. I made my own out of pvc and love it. It swivels at the top and keeps the hose out of my way no matter what position I am sleeping in.

Attached is a pic I modeled my pvc hose holder from. I have mine at the head of the bed with the base between the mattress and box spring.

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

I’ve been using the mirage for years now.
    Hey that stand looks nice.
    been useing a cpap for about 20 years

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.