Monster Trout!!

• mudneck_joe
    SE MN

Can’t beat mountains, huge trout and 75 degrees and sunny. Caught these beauties swinging shrimp flies in the Pacific Northwest. Largest was 18lbs and caught some 10.5lb ones too. Had to go to the Mountains to warm up. Came back home and BBBLLLTTHHH!! Now if I can only remember how to work again before I get fired.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Did you eat any?

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

One. It was good. Took a fly into its gills. First One I kept in over a decade. Going to keep one from now on. Marinated it in soy, lemon juice and sesame oil. Really good table fair. I planked it on Cedar. Yummy:)

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Great looking fish!

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

It should be a crime to post photos like that when the rest of us are at work, try to keep our minds on our work.

NICE FISH !!

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Those are nice looking Steelhead I fished on the West Coast once and caught some nice steelhead but not as big as yours. From the clippings on the adipose fin, looks like they were both hatchery and native fish.

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

wow. im very jealous. way to go

troutbum
    St. Paul

Beautiful chrome
    Only thing missing is April vokey..
    Im not complaining

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

One. It was good. Took a fly into its gills. First One I kept in over a decade. Going to keep one from now on. Marinated it in soy, lemon juice and sesame oil. Really good table fair. I planked it on Cedar. Yummy:)

Marinated and cedar planked! I just about need a bib I’m salivating so much just thinking of that!~
    Those are some Monster Beauties…bam! What kind of fly were you swinging for those???

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Sounds great. I’ll bet those things would smoke good too but understand that’s not a meat haul situation.

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

We hooked 14 landed 7. Out of the 7 landed 5 were wild and two were hatchery. Turned out one of the Hatchery fish was the one that decided to engulf the fly. Wild fish must immediately be released.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

that looks so cool. Are you in a State Park or a designated camping spot? Where do you do to start looking for camping spots?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nice fish, thanks for sharing.

If plank trout is anything like plank salmon, I know they were delicious.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

AWESOME.!! MUDNECK. Another Great Birthday on a Steelhead Stream. …rrr

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

PIGS, very cool looking fish, great scenery to boot. – QB

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

National Forest Lands that have public camps sites. Most are free and some are pay with signs. I pick the ones that you cant see from roads that are close to the fish we find and away from people. Since we are 35 miles from the nearest “town” you kinda have to bring everything in with you and plan ahead.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.