2012-13 SUVs. Anyone driving these models?

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

With the demise of ol’ Blue, I’m in hurry-up offense mode to get a replacement.

I’m only considering 3 models. Must haves are a MINIMUM towing capacity of 5000 pounds, and 3 rows of seats. I also want a true 4WD vehicle that you can lock in to 4 wheel mode, not AWD where you have to be spinning before the other wheels start turning.

I’m looking at certified used from the 2012-13 model years with <30k on the clocks.

Anybody own these models and could give me feedback:

– Ford Explorer
    – GMC Acadia
    – Nissan Armada

Please only comment if you own the CURRENT versions of these vehicles. Don’t mean to shut down discussion of older models, but I’m only considering 2012/13 model years here and all of these vehicles have had new iterations come out in the past 4 years.

Tell me what you think of yours and any deal-busters with the above models?

Grouse

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Post deleted by roosterrouster

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Subaru Outback…Compare, you’d be happy…RR

Post removed as my reply seems to have offended.

The Outback does not meet the criteria per my original post above.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

There’s been past discussions on the Traverse/Acadia platform and don’t remember hearing anything bad. I own a ’11 traverse and it tows great. And should get about the same mileage towing if not a little better than the bravada. I believe people were towing rigs as big as tandem axle Ranger 620s with out issues. If you do choose either of the three make sure they have tow packages installed (extra or larger tranny cooler, larger radiator, etc.) Not just a receiver hitch. Most of the vehicles will have a tow button somewhere on the dash or steering console if it has the actual package.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

There’s been past discussions on the Traverse/Acadia platform and don’t remember hearing anything bad. I own a ’11 traverse and it tows great. And should get about the same mileage towing if not a little better than the bravada. I believe people were towing rigs as big as tandem axle Ranger 620s with out issues. If you do choose either of the three make sure they have tow packages installed (extra or larger tranny cooler, larger radiator, etc.) Not just a receiver hitch. Most of the vehicles will have a tow button somewhere on the dash or steering console if it has the actual package.

Good point re the towing package and that’s been an issue so far as only about 1 SUV in every 5-7 that I’ve looked at online has the towing package listed. Totally agree, though, I need the extras not just the hitch.

The Bravada normally ran at about 180 degrees. Hook up 4000 pounds of Wellcraft and she ran at 230 degrees even on a cool day. So yes, I know I need the towing package.

I have read online that the Traverse only has a towing capacity of 3500 pounds, so I have dismissed this as a choice. Is that wrong? Or does the tow package boost it to 5000?

Grouse

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I hate to throw something into the ring outside of your criterea, but rode with somebody in a newer Dodge Durango (2013?) and it handled a good sized boat very well. So well in fact, it got me thinking.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Acadia is AWD not one you can lock in or out.

corya
    Iowa

I know it wasn’t on your list of choices, but we recently bought a certified ’13 Durango with 17,000 miles. 5000 lb. tow rating and 3rd row seat. I haven’t towed anything with it yet, but all around seems very nice. Also, I’m not a Dodge guy, but my wife liked it.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

Good point re the towing package and that’s been an issue so far as only about 1 SUV in every 5-7 that I’ve looked at online has the towing package listed. Totally agree, though, I need the extras not just the hitch.

The Bravada normally ran at about 180 degrees. Hook up 4000 pounds of Wellcraft and she ran at 230 degrees even on a cool day. So yes, I know I need the towing package.

I have read online that the Traverse only has a towing capacity of 3500 pounds, so I have dismissed this as a choice. Is that wrong? Or does the tow package boost it to 5000?

Grouse

The Traverse with factory tow package is rated at 5200 lbs. Without and add a hitch 2500 lbs. The Acadia is the same but both of these are AWD not in/out 4wd.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

With the v92 tow package it will be the same as the Acadia (5300 lbs). They are essentially the same platform.

thalweg

I have a 2013 Explorer and have pulled my 1800 Pro-V with it. It had no problems pulling the rig in the hills of NE Iowa or out on the interstate. I think the Pro-V fully loaded is around 3600lbs. Of note, the Ex is not a “true 4×4” in that there is no 2WD mode, flip a swtich and now your are in 4WD. It is, as I recall, an AWD that has some power to all four wheels at all times and transfers power between the wheels based upon slippage and selected mode. It, however, is not like the old AWD that would be in 2WD until a rear wheel slipped and then switch in the front wheels. I have always been a traditional “true 4×4” guy and wanted vehicles that allowed me to decide when to put it in 4WD. I was skeptical of how I would like the Ex AWD but so far I have no complaints.

iowa roger
    North central Iowa

Grouse, My Traverse is AWD, so far so good with towing a boat, I was told it had a 3500 towing limit, with a tranny cooler and stuff that goes with it along with a hitch and wiring.
    It seems to have plenty of power to maintain speed and a lockdown to a lower gear to keep it from continous upshifting in hill and dowwn shift again.
    We like it so far for towing the boat and small leaf haul trailer.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

we have a 2012 expedition
    and a
    2013 explorer
    both have 3rd row and tow packages
    the expedition will tow 10,000lbs explorer 6000lbs
    we love both just took the explorer to Chicago avg.21.9mpg
    the expedition gets 19.2 avg hope this helps ya

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Appreciate the feedback guys. A couple of points:

– Lots of confusing info about the Traverse has me turned off. Some places say 3500 towing “when suitably equipped”, other sources say up to 5200, but don’t spec out what package or add-ons need to be present to get to this level. Even a Chevy dealer didn’t give me a straight answer, so I’m done. For some reason, with GMC it’s a clear cut 5200, but Chevy is all over the map.

– I’m fine with AWD if there’s a “lock in” feature that locks it in 4WD. My impression was that all 3 of my choices have that, even if the “normal” mode is AWD.

In an ideal world, I’d be able to get more of an off-roader, but my vehicle has to be a commuter, a kid hauler, a “pack everything + the kitchen sink” vacation vehicle, and then it gets to get driven through corn and bean stubble and in the mud while pheasant and deer hunting.

I’ve had great luck with the Olds Bravada and off the paved road all I had to do was put decent tread on it and it did everything I asked it to do and it was comfortable day to day. Hoping to find the same thing in the current choices.

Grouse

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

to the Durango owners. what kind of gas milage are yo getting on the new vehicles? My house is looking at the same line of vehicles and the Durango has caught my eye. I am open to 14’s too.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

The Armada will have more towing power than the others, but it comes at a cost with reduced gas mileage. I’ve got a Nissan Titan which is basically the same platform as the Armada and love the thing, but it’s wretched on fuel. However, I don’t think theres a full size truck that gets great gas mileage. Tows a 20 footer great though and the 5.6 has some get up and go. Outside of regular maintenance type things, It’s been relatively problem free. Average 11 mpg towing the boat or city driving-16 on the hwy.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Grouse, I own a 2011 Traverse. I just looked in the manual under towing. It states front wheel or all wheel drive with v92 towing package is good for 5,200 lbs trailer and 10,450 lbs GCWR. I tow a 16.5 Alumacraft Lunker and don’t even know it is there.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Grouse, I own a 2011 Traverse. I just looked in the manual under towing. It states front wheel or all wheel drive with v92 towing package is good for 5,200 lbs trailer and 10,450 lbs GCWR. I tow a 16.5 Alumacraft Lunker and don’t even know it is there.

Many thanks for this info that it’s in the manual. Not sure why all the confusion about this. Chevy’s website also says 5200, but where I’m looking it didn’t give the required package.

Thanks for the info.

Grouse

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Good luck on your choice dick. I’m sure you’ll make the right decision…RR

mike ice

I don’t have any specific input on exact models you are looking however we just bought an AWD but our price range was different than yours and learned some of the same that you have already.
    Found that a most of the salesman don’t know or understand how these AWD systems work at all, you’ll have to do your own research on the internet and weed thru the false info.
    Ditto on tow package, make sure its a factory one, with proper coolers, etc., not just a hitch. Those old days are gone.
    Have you driven an AWD yet on snow, gravel roads, towing, etc.? They do drive a little different due to the torque pull on all the wheels at certain times, again depending on AWD system. Peoples biggest complaint about AWD’s is how they drive.
    I have a coworker that has a Traverse and loves it. She commutes 1hr each way everyday, is the farm/field truck in spring and fall and hauls around anything in between. They did have to put a motor in it at 16K, warranty, but that’s it.
    Good luck I know car shopping is a PIA.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I own a 2012 Acadia. I have pulled my 17 ft c liner to Canada and all over the state of WI. Also have taken it off road out in the Aberdeen area while hunting pheasants.
    Great vehicle. Comfortable ride and more room than I ever need even when taking buddies along. L

corya
    Iowa

Quote:

to the Durango owners. what kind of gas milage are yo getting on the new vehicles? My house is looking at the same line of vehicles and the Durango has caught my eye. I am open to 14’s too.

We’ve only had our ’13 Durango for a couple months, but have been getting right at 20 mpg. That’s a good mix of highway and city miles. I suspect it will get a little better as the weather warms and my wife doesn’t need to “warm it up” every morning.

mojogunter

We just sold a Durango with a hemi. 18mpg was about the best we got with it. I pulled my 621 ranger with it a couple of times. Remember just because it has a 5000lbs towing rating doesn’t mean it tows that weight well. The Durango pulled the boat fine in a straight line with smooth roads. Plenty of power, but with a bumpy roads the shorter wheel base it made it a little questionable. The boat in bumps would sway the vehicle way more than I liked. Maybe that was because I was used to towing it with a full size truck, but I wouldn’t tow that big of a boat on a long trip. If you were towing 3000lbs I would say no issue what so ever.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

The Traverse requires a factory installed towing package to get 5200# capacity.

Trailer Life Towing Guides – VERY helpful info if you are buying a tow vehicle

PTC, thanks a TON for that link. That’s golden.

Everybody reading this, the link PTC posted is a series of guides by model year that give the towing specs for trucks and SUVs. Awesome because it’s a separate guide for each model year.

Terrific resource. Thanks.

Grouse

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

FG
    I have the 2012 Acadia Denali (7 seater, not the 8 seat). It’s an excellent vehicle and am very happy with it.
    Make sure a vehicle has the factory towing package included; it has the trans cooler along with over 5,000# towing and solid plug in wiring.
    You would not be disappointed.
    shoot me a pm with any questions or a phone no. and i’ll call you this weekend.
    Jack

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Much appreciated, Jack.

In general, pickings are VERY slim right now across all the models I’m looking it when it comes to gently used 2011-2013 models. Good time to be selling cars apparently.

I’m driving the GMC tonight, I found a 2012 just to drive one, but I won’t buy this one as it’s got over 50k on the clock. But it was the only one I could find within a reasonable distance from home, just to get a test drive in. It’s that bad.

And as I found out, you can’t just go by the website. We already made that mistake and none of the 3 trucks listed on the site were actually still there.

So far I’ve driven a couple of Fords and a new Chevy Traverse just to see what it’s like, and the Armada, which I didn’t really bond with very well. I’d like to drive a Tahoe and a Sequoia, but they are very tough to track down.

Slim pickins’. I even called an auction buying service and things started off really well, yes we can buy anything you want at auction, you just tell us what you need, etc, etc. Oh, except SUVs right now we don’t do because there are too few of them and prices are too high. Ummmm…

Grouse

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.