Alley Parking a Boat

• eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

So, the Fiance and I are looking to buy our first home in the next few months and we’re having a tough time finding many that have a “straight shot” access to the garage. Most of the homes here in Milwaukee have garages behind the house which are only accessible via alley. My question is, do any boat owners here live in a house with a garage on an alley? If so, how much of a PITA is it to get your boat in there? Also, was wondering if anybody has ever used one of these “boat dollys” and if so, how much does that help? Thanks in advance for any help\ suggestions. You guys always seem to have experience with almost anything!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

My dad has one of those for his 19′ Skeeter, it works great.

When I lived in St Paul with an alley, I would pull the boat into the alley before hooking it up. It wasnt as easy as backing it in or driving it out, but it wasnt a big issue either.

Old fisher
    NULL

I used one for years they do help.

Ok fisher

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I also had a alley house in St. Paul. We were just married and it was our first boat, fiberglass tri-hull. Same thing, pushed/pulled it out then hooked up. It might seem like a pain but just like anything that comes along you figure it out and adapt. Beware of a real steep apron going into the garage, that could be a real pain.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My current garage sits on an alley, but I have a 25-30′ driveway between the garage and alley. I got pretty good at getting it in there, but neighbors sometimes have cars sitting in their driveways that cause me headaches. It’d be a bit more hassle if the garage sits directly on the alley as opposed to having a small driveway.

BBKK
    IA

Our garage sits parallel with the alley. Luckily we have a 3 car driveway that connects to the neighbors driveway as well, so as long as he isn’t parked in the furthest spot closest to ours, it is not hard at all to back a boat in. With that being said, when the duck boat is parked in the driveway, it makes in impossible to back the ranger in. We have to push the ranger out into the alley and then hook it up, same with putting it back. Not that big of a deal if you lower the tongue all the way and have 2 guys.

DAN J

I have 1 of those Dolly’s up in the rafters of the garage. Was not to impresses with it. The tires almost came off the rims if you turn it real tite. It also takes a lot of horse power to move it up an incline and to stop going down hill. With solid rubber tires and a better axle it might work pretty good. I’m checking out the Trailer Valet right now. UPS just dropped one off. Will post when I get it on the trailer.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Thanks for the quick responses guys! Great point about the “steep apron” issue bellatine. That’s something I hadn’t really considered but would obviously make a huge difference in pushing the boat into the garage. Ralph makes a good point on having a small driveway to the garage off of the alley, but unfortunately those types of setups arent all that common down here in the city either…. Most garages are butted tight up to the alley to allow for the most backyard room possible. Please keep the input coming guys. I really do appreciate it. Obviously, buying a house is a big deal and a long term investment, so I dont want to buy something we’ll regret but also dont want to eliminate all “alley-garage” houses if manuevering a boat into them isnt that big of a deal…. Sounds like the boat dolly might be a big aid in the process as well.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Ralph makes a good point on having a small driveway to the garage off of the alley, but unfortunately those types of setups arent all that common down here in the city either…. Most garages are butted tight up to the alley to allow for the most backyard room possible.

Yeah, that makes it trickier. How big of a boat? A 16′ tin boat is a lot easier to move than a big sucker on a dual axle trailer!

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Ive got a 17.5ft alumacraft. Not the heaviest boat in the world, but definitely not the lightest either. I can move it around on flat ground okay by myself but Ive got to use some muscle, thats for sure.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

That trailer valet looks like a pretty serious piece of equipment Dan J. Does it stay on the trailer permanently or is it removable? Would be very interested to hear how it works out for you.

scotte
    pool 7

I made this trailer mover out of an old 5 HP snow blower. it will move my HEAVY crestliner anywhere. uphill / downhill. rough ground, even in the grass. 3 speeds forward & 1 reverse. works great.

Scott

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Scotte, are you effing serious? That is awesome! My dad’s got that same Toro, too.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

WHOA! Scotte, now thats what Im talking about! Pretty sure I could get my boat into just about any garage with that thing! You might have a pretty lucrative product on your hands there.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

I made this trailer mover out of an old 5 HP snow blower. it will move my HEAVY crestliner anywhere. uphill / downhill. rough ground, even in the grass. 3 speeds forward & 1 reverse. works great.

Scott

Now that is a hell of a good idea!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

Scotte, are you effing serious? That is awesome! My dad’s got that same Toro, too.

Not for long…

carver
    West Metro

DAMNIT SCOTT, I just sold an old one….I could have used that for new tandem I get this fall, that is a genius idea.

Dan, if you could I would like to see that one in action if you could take a video of it working in real life in a real situation.

DAN J

Quote:

That trailer valet looks like a pretty serious piece of equipment Dan J. Does it stay on the trailer permanently or is it removable? Would be very interested to hear how it works out for you.

. There is a bracket that bolts on the trailer frame and a pin that holds it on the bracket. I’m not planning on leaving it on the trailer. Don’t think it would be on the trailer when you went to load your boat at the ramp. I plan to leave the trailer jack that came with the trailer on and mount the bracket on the other side. The Trailer Valet weighs 45 lbs. and cost $300.00 . Don’t know if I can give the web site. I have a Pacemaker and spinal fusion so it’s hard for me to get the 17 ft. With a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke in the garage by myself. I have a garage on the alley with a telephone pole so I have to make a sharp 90 to get it in the garage.

DAN J

Quote:

DAMNIT SCOTT, I just sold an old one….I could have used that for new tandem I get this fall, that is a genius idea.

Dan, if you could I would like to see that one in action if you could take a video of it working in real life in a real situation.

. YouTube has a bunch of videos on it.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

It’s fine to give websites and I’m sure I speak for everyone that if you could take the time to put up a review after you’ve used it we would appreciate it.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Getting the boat up the apron was a pain at my past house. Even more so, getting around 90 corners at either end of the alley with garages and such close on the corners was every bit as much a problem. Ours was so tight, the garbage trucks had to jack around to get through. The length of the boat could only get through one end, and barely. Pay attention to that access as well.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

I have a very good running 521 I could part with

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Scotte, are you effing serious? That is awesome!

X2 – that is sweet!

-J.

red89
    Hudson

Just wait for the right house/garage thats set up the way you like. A house is a expensive thing to not be happy with.

milemark_714

Quote:

Getting the boat up the apron was a pain at my past house. Even more so, getting around 90 corners at either end of the alley with garages and such close on the corners was every bit as much a problem. Ours was so tight, the garbage trucks had to jack around to get through. The length of the boat could only get through one end, and barely. Pay attention to that access as well.

Great advice,been there,done that.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Scott – That is a SWEET idea!!

I’ve got a Toro 521 snowblower that I seldom use. You’ve got me thinking I need to do some modifications on it now.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

If you plan on having a riding lawn mower that might get the job done.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Hey! Thanks a lot guys. Lots of good thoughts and opinions from all. Makes me a lot more confident that if we find the right house that has everything we are looking for but an alley access garage, that I shouldn’t write it off immidiately. Before buying, I would obviously want to try parking the boat to make sure its not that big of a deal, but this definitely gives us more options. Also, gonna have to keep my eyes open for used snowblowers, riding lawnmowers, etc. Scotte, that is one of the coolest things ive seen in a long time! Thanks again. You guys rock!

Oh, and by the way, if any of you find yourselves in Milwaukee and ever want to get out fishn, shoot me a PM. Always enjoy fishing with new people, especially when they haven’t caught many trout or salmon before. That look on someones face when a fish makes that first power run is priceless.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.