Trolling motor and main motor

• waterice
    Elk Point, SD

Is there any advantage to raising the main motor while using the trolling motor? I have seen people do this one water and wondering what people have to say about it.

john_steinhauer
    p4

I’ve always left mine in the water unless in very fast current. I felt by leaving it in the water the boat would track a little better

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

If it is calm and/or in Weeds, I raise it up,maybe just leave the skag in the water, if in open water and/or windy, I’ll leave it partly to fully submerged.

If it is weed, you don’t want a Weed-Brake sitting back there hold you in place or slowing you down.

Now, When I’ve made it thru some weed patches to a place to fish, I may drop it down to hold me there, keep the wind from pushing me off my spot.

Now, of course mine is a 16ft aluminum.
    If I really want to move on lakes with HP Limits, I’ll drop both trolling motors in,
    a 55# 12volt in rear, lock inplace for direction,
    then drop in bow mount 36v, 105# to steer and get where I want to go. Moves along approx 5-6mph/the GPS

kroger3
    blaine mn

From what I have noticed over the years is most people that trim there main motor up are inexperienced people and there boat control is all over the place.

You are taking your rudder away and the back of the boat swings all over the place.

Shallow water and weeds are the only reason I trim my main motor up some what. In high winds or high current I still leave it down and have at times fire up the main motor and put it in gear to help out the trolling motor.

DAN J

The only reson to raise it would be thick weeds or shallow rocks or dead heads you didn’t want to hit with your lower unit. Leaving it down acts as a rudder and can really help in the wind or current.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Quote:

Is there any advantage to raising the main motor while using the trolling motor? I have seen people do this one water and wondering what people have to say about it.

Yes it can be advantageous to raise the main motor if/when you are drifting and the bow drifts faster than the stern when the main motor is in the down position.. It all depends on each individual boat.

ianroberts14
    California, United States

For me it works as a back-up motor. The role of trolling motor is very effective while sailing across strong wind or water current

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I trim mine up if I am covering an area that has shallow water. It makes boat control harder. Having the main motor down and straight will make boat control much easier

waterice
    Elk Point, SD

Thank you for all the info.

Tim Reszler
    Kenosha

Only reason I raise motor up is due to my side imaging transducer sticks out to far and when motor is down part of my left view is blocked. I have played with this to try and move it but either way it sticks out to far. Other then that if I am not using side imaging it’s down. This might be another reason some people are doing it….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.