Electric Fillet Knife

• bronzbak
    Long way from home

I just burnt my 3rd Rapala electric knife in 2 years out. I do clean a large amount of fish though. Before the rapala I had run a mister twister for numerous years. I will never buy another rapala electric as this same thing has happened to several others I know. Just wondering if anybody has input on the American angler knife over the MisterTwister, or any other brand besides rapala.

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

I have owned 2 Mister Twister knifes and I LOVE them. I clean lots of pan fish since that is all I eat, so I need a good knife. I tend to replace the blades often just to keep them sharp. First knife handle/motor lasted almost 8 years, and I am now running #2 for 4 years. I won’t switch.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

On my second American Angler. First lasted 7 or so years and then second is pushing that. Both have cleaned a good deal of fish and have gotten hot more than they probably should have. I would buy another in an instance. I do know others that have had good luck with the Mister Twister also.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

After two, maybe three Rapalas…. I had enough of getting near burned hands, and short life cycles. Mister Twister ever since. Wore out the front (plastic) gears on one, but besides that they are much better.

There was a conversation on this a while back… one point, like the bread knife I have in the house, metal gears and guides… I think those are tough to beat, and seem much better made.

This said, I am stopping at BassPro tomorrow for the in-store special on the Mister Twister, like $14. Having it in the cabinet as a back up is good at that price.

Jim Kissinger
    Markesan WI

I have had my Rapala for 4 yrs and no problems with it as far as blades I have the same set for 3 yrs I use a steel and go on the back side opposite the serrated then when ready to do the serated I put 2000 grit sand paper on 2 pieces of cardboard and take the burr off by running it down the paper they get real sharp

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

I hear ya, mine burnt out in a year, i saved everything but the knife, i really liked the blades and use them in my mister twister only on my 2nd year but friends of mine have had theres for many years, I’m more than happy with it and expect it will last a long time

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

My rapala is going on 4 years.

I do not clean fish often.

I also have 2 spares that i paid $5 each for at the berkely outlet store. Several sets of unopened Resharpened knives for $2 too.

If your ever in spirit lake IA…Stop there for super cheap fillet knives.

gbfan10
    Hastings, mn

I can tell my Rap knife is on it’s way out. Smells like burnt plastic after a fish or two.

hunter1723

Don’t catch so many fish and just hope that Apple will start making fillet knives soon! LOL

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Do the blades from the rapala and twister fit in that knife? If it lasts 4 weeks @ $10 vs $60 for the rapala junk it’s a bargain. I’ve got a 5″ pointed set of blades and 3 sets of 7″ & 10″ blades that fit a rapala and twister knife. Like I said I’m open to anything at this point. Thanks also everybody for the insight and tips.

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I usually get 3-4 years out of a Mr. Twister. For the money, I don’t think you can do better. I can’t comment on any others since those are all I have used.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.