fyb

• mr. sauger25

OK all this talk about wrecking gear and boat in this fridgid weather is starting to get me worried we plan on fishing Friday afternoon and staying at everts Friday night so my question is what’s my best bet for everything to be ready to go in the am leave in water and cover boat or pull out be nice to store in heated shed but that’s not an option any help on boat and rod and real not freezing up would be great

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I cant imagine taking my boat or a nice boat out tomorrow morning. It simply is not boat weather. But there are plenty of people that do so what do I know?

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

OK all this talk about wrecking gear and boat in this fridgid weather is starting to get me worried we plan on fishing Friday afternoon and staying at everts Friday night so my question is what’s my best bet for everything to be ready to go in the am leave in water and cover boat or pull out be nice to store in heated shed but that’s not an option any help on boat and rod and real not freezing up would be great

I would leave your boat in the water and cover it if possible. If you have to pull it out just make sure you leave enough time in the morning for the motor to warm up.

Bring rods inside Friday night to let them warm up and thaw any frozen water on line.

bring a coffe can or similar with on Saturday so you can fill up your livewell or cooler during the day. Don’t turn on livewell pumps as they will be frozen.

Other than that, dress warm and have fun fishing. Pretty much all you have to worry about.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Your motor will be hard to start either way. I’d plan on having some kind of heater along to blow on it and to keep you warm in the boat.

Best bet is to just leave it on the trailer and head over to the boozer and have bump right about take off time. Once that is done, have another, and another, pretty soon the barstool will start to feel like home and you will forget that there is a tourney even going on.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Vaseline or similar on rod guides, heard of people spraying their reels with Windshield fluid as needed, I’d like to hear more about deicer for the trolling motor, specifically rear mount. Never really had to much difficulty with line freezing as long as its mono. Going to try some crystal fireline on one setup for vertical, guys say it works better than other braids. Going to pitching right away in the AM and see how it goes, usually the hands make me give up before the equipment.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I was in the area a couple years back fishing at a time when it was well below freezing. As has been said, looking back, if I had the option, I would leave boat in the water. The water is warmer, and fine. Cover it, and leave it in the water. Getting it back off a trailer with frozen bunks can be a slow, PIA.

Guessing most there will be regulars, but little reminder for those that have not fumbled through it in this cold…. when you run the outboard, it will take a while to pee water. Thermostat… do not freak out as I did, before being told by a regular to just give it time. I was concerned enough I almost pulled the boat back out of the water. Just had no idea as it was my first time.

Stay dry, and have fun. Can’t wait for what I hope is a fun bunch of photos to be posted. Lets see some of those iced up boats, and big smiles!

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

if your trolling motor isn’t a cable drive, spray wd-40 on the shaft before and after you set it in the water. This will prevent it from freezing solid when pulled up

muskychaser
    Prescott, Wi

Last year was a high of 8 Just fish its no problem if your worried about your motor use a canoe or kyak

mr. sauger25

Actually last year it was a high of 28 with no wind there talking 10 mile an hour wind it will feel much colder than last year

muskychaser
    Prescott, Wi

Yeah Mr Sauger guy you are correct it was the turkey combo that was cold.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Keep your motor trimmed into the water while fishing as well.

It’s going to be harder on humans then it will be on gear…says the guy that turns up the heater in the bait shop.

Doors will be open an coffee on at 5:30 folks.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

It’s not really a big deal fishing in -0 degree weather. Take your time, use your noggin and you’ll be fine. I’ve done it plenty of times ( in my younger years). No sweat!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

It’s not really a big deal fishing in -0 degree weather. Take your time, use your noggin and you’ll be fine. I’ve done it plenty of times ( in my younger years). No sweat!

Cold is a state of mind. ~Bud Grant

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Is the first place payout 1.5 million?

I kid, but be safe, boats will be slick and the water cold.

mr. sauger25

We will be in cabin 2 flip flopping yard bird after were done fishing Friday eve stop over for a piece that spam fetish will
    go away after u eat the bird

eyesonly

I’m still looking to fish believe it or not if anyone has a partner that they can’t drag out of the house !

mr. sauger25

Look in the tournament forum eyes only someone was looking for a partner yesterday

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

14Walleye has tears in his eyes for the last week…ever since his partner Sallied out on him.

Blamed it on a bad bacon donut.

cjensenz7
    Waseca MN

Common sense prevails and team #4 is saving their equipment for the MTT. NOAA is now forecasting 1″to 3″ of snow Friday and Saturday with a possibility of higher amounts locally Friday. I like my boat to much to drag it through sand and salt.

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

Oh man are you really bring me into this BK???
    Ok maybe I deserved it. Maybe I shouldn’t have had that 3rd one

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.