Perm Shack – what happens?

• Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

What happens to guys that cant get their perm shacks off the ice – this winter? Or complain and don’t get them off on time, etc?

Lots of snow and most guys are very under prepared to deal with the project – when mother nature takes it to this level.

Just curious as I don’t have one to wrestle with.

Dog

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

In years past I think the DNR would mail a citation and then burn the house on the ice. Things may have changed.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I just asked the same question in another post on the Mille Lacs forum and Jon J. was nice enough to look it up…

Quote:

$135 up to 5 days. After 5 days you go to court and explain the reason to a judge.

See page 19

-J.

I’ve heard a lot of people who expect the DNR to extend the deadline… I wouldn’t doubt they might but I wouldn’t count on it if I had a shack on the lake. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

GUK
    Lake City, MN

I have some major ruts by mine that will make it a real pain to hook up. I contacted the DNR on Monday, there will be no extension of the deadline. Midnight March 3rd is the date they gave me!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Guess burning them was the old school way of dealing with the problem. Not the answer now with all the metal portable houses on the lakes. Tires, axles, insulation and so on would be a toxic mess to burn not to mention the cost of these houses. Could see a few getting confiscated and sold.

briansmude

Looks like they get to spend a lot of money to hire someone to get it off for them. Last year someone left a portable on the river for months, the dnr was called several times. Nothing was ever done until I took it upon myself to remove it along with a ton of garbage and I think that was the second week of April.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Where there is a will there is a way…. need to hire a plow/blower, to get you to the house, crank up the heat a couple days with the floor holes open and put some permanent banking around it to help thaw underneath, then spend the time with a chainsaw/30.06 or whatever to bust it loose from the ice, then jerk it off the lake. Had to do this a few times back in the early 90’s… always got it off with the work put in

EW6

You guys got any advice for dealing with slush? Lake zumbro has a foot of it under the snow after this last storm and not sure what to do. Anyone ever used tire chains to get through slush and deep snow? Just spit balling…

big_g
    Isle, MN

with slush, you need to plow it as best you can to expose it and let it freeze overnight. thankfully, when I put a perm out, it was out of a resort and they helped immensely with the plowing and pulling, but it was still my job to have it broke loose and ready to pull.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Waders and rubber boats will help with the slush. Other than that it will suck any way you look at it. If you had time to let it refreeze that would be good. Dont think time is on your side this year.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

desperado

blowed ’em up REAL Good

steve-o
    Des Moines, IA

Quote:

blowed ’em up REAL Good

That’s awesome! SCTV, I haven’t seen that in years. I need to break out my DVD box set.

ozzyky
    On water

We snowmobiles a trail to a buddy’s. shack in the slush and snow. 3 days later we were able to drive a trUck on that path a get the house off. It was a rough trail but worked. With the temps forecasted that could be an option for some. The freezing in of a house is just a pain in the a to deal with. Man power.

EW6

Some good ideas, thanks guys. We’ll see how it goes this weekend!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

Some good ideas, thanks guys. We’ll see how it goes this weekend!

FYI – here is a quick search on CL that found several folks who are offering ice house removal services around the metro area

Fish House Removal

kbush
    Minneapolis, MN

As mentioned, there is never a shortage of garbage left on the ice. The fishing club I belong to, GopherBass.com, is doing a clean-up on Lake Minnetonka (starting in Gray’s Bay) on March 9th at noon. It’ll be like a treasure hunt! Anyone is welcome to join!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.