Google voice search on android

• chubby
    Bloomington

I have lost the ability to use voice search on my Galaxy S3 which I believe is due to an update.

When I tap the microphone key in google search and maps search, etc. I keep getting an error message that says “Can’t reach Google at the moment”

I cannot seem to find anything online that offers a fix so I thought I would see if anyone here has experienced this and figured out a fix. I am usually quite capable of fixing most things tech but this has got me a bit stumped.

TIA

mopho

Did you reboot?

matt

Just tried voice search in both features on my Galaxys3 and it works fine.My last recent phone system update was in early Dec.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

You may have to reset your phone to factory defaults and wait for the updates to come down again. Sucks, but it’s happened to me on a few phones over the years. Definitely try a restart if you haven’t already. Maybe remove your google account from the phone and re-add? Just throwing ideas out there.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I use voice to text a lot and have an S3. This happens to me every once in a while. If I try it again in a few seconds I will get through. It appears that there is a window in time when my internet and/or phone connection is not connected and I push the microphone button at that instance. Rarely, and I mean rarely, it will happen 2-3 times in row.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

All the suggestions have been good. It sounds like a connection issue. Its odd if you get that message and are still able to browse the internet. I’ve had it happen, but rarely and it works with a retry. So you are able to browse the internet and access the network otherwise?

Have you tried connecting by your WiFi and trying it?

S3 phones have had some issues with the 4.3 update. I feel like my battery is draining faster and at times I’ve had to reboot because the battery gets hot suggesting something is grinding my CPU.

I almost forgot. Anyone with an S3 having issues with the contacts app? Mine takes forever to open directly and doesn’t display contacts with incoming calls. It seems like my text messages have been delayed and sending texts from hangouts seems hit or miss.

Anyone else experience this? I need to do some researching.

munchy
    NULL

Go into settings – Language and input – and make sure “Google Voice Typing” is checked.

chubby
    Bloomington

I appreciate the tips. I think that I got it figured out, turns out the microphone was open and in use by Dragon. I did a force stop on it and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Dragon? Is that an app like the one on the PC for dictation?

The app should not be so poorly designed that it has to be force closed/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.