Navionics App

• Hilltopper
    LaCrosse, WI

What advice can you give about the Navionics App for IPad. I thought someone mentioned that it was $9. Installed for free and the fee is $49. Looking to utilize it in place of a chip in my Lowrance. If I could find a lakemaster for my lowrance I would not need it. Any feed back is appreciated.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

i love the ap i use it ice fishing and i use it while riding in others boats to see what the structure is around us if i can’t see their graph or if they don’t have one.

munchy
    NULL

For phones it is $9-$15. For tablets it is $49

The nice thing about the app is it covers the entire north American continent. The chips only covers the region you buy. The Lowrance will be more accurate since it runs WAAS, as far as I know no phone or tablet is WAAS enabled. The app is nice for sitting at home scouting potential lakes and is much easier to navigate with the touch screen.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t understand why the tablet is so much more (for Android). I refuse to buy it until it can be explained or they get the version like the iPhone that I believe has the SonarCharts and a couple extra features. Until then I’ll keep using the US Lakes on my phone AND tablet.

blufloyd

I spent about $20 to get all features as it brought them up as needed.
    I love free don’t you???? I need to come up with some free stuff to sell….

munchy
    NULL

Quote:

I don’t understand why the tablet is so much more (for Android). I refuse to buy it until it can be explained or they get the version like the iPhone that I believe has the SonarCharts and a couple extra features. Until then I’ll keep using the US Lakes on my phone AND tablet.

I don’t have a tablet but from my research the tablet version(HD) is the same maps and options etc as the standard version, it is just in a higher definition for the larger screen.

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

The accuracy of the mapping is so so. Its a lot more accurate on the 1 foot contour maps. I broke down and got the portable pack to use my HB and lakemaster

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I believe only the iPad has the HD versions and SonarCharts, not Android tablets. I am going off the website. I also heard that they were working on the Android tablet version, but nothing more.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

It’s ok until you get on a lake with crappy cell service. I started using it this year ice fishing. Accuracy is a variable. Sometimes spot on and sometimes pretty far off. So far I mostly just use it as a reference and that’s been fine.

munchy
    NULL

Unless you are needing to download maps there is no need for cell service when using the Navionics app. It uses gps not cell.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Unless you are needing to download maps there is no need for cell service when using the Navionics app. It uses gps not cell.

X2

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

Quote:

cell phones and tablets do not have a GPS reciever. They are run off cell site trianglulation. Not gps

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That is not quite true. Most phones do have GPS built in. Tablets depend on the model. I don’t think many tablets do and they can try and mimic a GPS and find your location using a network when you are connected via Wifi.

munchy
    NULL

Quote:

cell phones and tablets do not have a GPS reciever. They are run off cell site trianglulation. Not gps

Maybe yours, but every smartphone I’ve ever owned has had one (except maybe my BlackBerry, don’t remember). Like I said they aren’t quite as accurate as a stand alone gps because they aren’t WAAS enabled but within 30 or so feet is good enough for me and usually it’s closer. Like right now the location is showing me within about 5 feet of where I am right now in my home. I’m actually right next to the window behind the arrow. Cell trianglulation alone would not be able to get this close. My phone, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, uses cell trianglulation, GPS, and barometric pressure to find location.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

5′ is not bad considering you are inside a house.

When I use the Navionics app, sometimes I double check the accuracy of my current position by pulling up Google Maps. I was on Medicine earlier this winter and thought I pulled up in a saddle between humps. No one was around me, but there was a bunch NW of me. I figured they were fishing shallow on the hump. After drilling a few holes I found out I was on the dang hump. It took me a while to figure that out, I thought my Showdown was acting goofy.

ERIKJ
    Chaska, MN

I have Lowrance H2O with Chip and run Navionics on Samsung S4. Lowrance updates more quickly when moving around to locate precise spots, but both otherwise have similar accuracy and, yes, the Smartphone has GPS. Phone also has a much more easily read screen.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.