Scam artist and IDO Classified’s

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Got a text on Sunday from someone wanting to by my GP Small tent that I have listed in the Classified for $300. Wanted my address so he could send a check. Then low and behold, today I get a text saying “my accountant sent a check for the wrong amount, please deposit the $2,000 check I sent and send me the balance back” Right Sure Of course I will – NOT!

Oldest scam in the book. But what is somewhat interesting; is that it came from our IDO Classified.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Was it a member Buzz?

I’m guessing not. Anyone can see our classifieds on the world wide web and of course that means aholes from all over.

Glad you caught it.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I get a couple every week concerning my boat in the IDO classifieds.
    Always a text with no name and they always want to buy the boat without ever looking at it.

And…They always want to pay using PayPal.

I have noticed that if you ask for a name they tend to go away.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I make one little mistake with my checkbook… My question… are there idiots out there who actually fall for this stuff ???

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Wonder why he picked your ad and not mine for a $125 Simms jacket I have listed?? Yours even said ca$h in hand.

I used to get those all the time when I would post on Craigslist allowing people to e-mail me. Now my CL ads require phone contact only; the scammers seem to like e-mail or txts better.

josh-larson
    The cities

I could use $2000. Maybe have him send the check to me?

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Quote:

I get a couple every week concerning my boat in the IDO classifieds.
    Always a text with no name and they always want to buy the boat without ever looking at it.

One fix to this is to take out your phone number from the ad. This way at least a member from IDO will have to contact you via a PM.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Got 3scammers from my ad here in the last week also. But, i did put my phone number on there, so it’s on me

kroger3
    blaine mn

A suggestion for the higher ups would be to have viewing the classifieds locked until you login…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

We talked about that once if I recall. There are so many folks (good folks) that read and buy with out being a member it was tabled.

I’ll pass it along to the higher ups for review thought…thanks!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

What if you just deposit the check and keep the balance.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

My question… are there idiots out there who actually fall for this stuff ???

G, the answer is… they are still doing it.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I have to admit;the prospect of someone actually wanting to buy the tent got me going. And I was so dull-witted that I sent him my address and later wondered why he had a NY area code? I can see how this type of scam might fool some folks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Last week I received an email from walmart saying my order was shipped but returned because of a wrong address. Click here and update the info to have it resent.

Since I didn’t order anything but do have an on line account there (works well have printed photos made) I thought Deb or Squeaker may have. Granddaughter photo you know.

As I was getting ready to click on the link I noticed it was address to Good Walmart Customer or something like that and thought it was odd they didn’t know my name.

Then in looking at the email address is was something like customer.supportwalmart@youve got to bekidding me.com

Delete.

They are getting more devious all the time.

DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

Quote:

What if you just deposit the check and keep the balance.

The check bounces or comes back as stolen and you are on the hook with the bank for the balance plus fees. A family member fell for it about 6 years ago and thats what happened.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I was kidding.

I am guessing the check can’t be traced back to the scammer either?

Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

It’s called the Nigerian scam. The check or money order will be counterfeit. Midwest USA gets hit heavily by scams since we are a trusting sort and won’t admit when we are wrong or someone gets the best of us. Scams change and evolve daily. Keep up on your finances and educate your loved ones of the financial dangers scams pose!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Like was already said best way to avoid this is not to put your phone number or email address in the add, the only way for them to contact you is to send a PM. If a nom member wants your item bad enough they will register and send you a PM. I have never had any scammers from anything I have posted here in the classifieds by using this method.

barebackjack
    New Prague, MN.

How does paypal work for a scammer? That is new to me.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.