Rental car insurance

• brucea
    Maplewood,MN

I will be renting a car when on vacation. Do I need to buy rental insurance? I called my insurance co this morning and was told I would be covered with the liability that I carry on my policy. Was told liability covers injury’s, the rental car and what ever else that was damaged.
    Do I need rental car insurance?

chomps
    Sioux City IA

If your current coverage isn’t full coverage, then yes.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

When I talked to my agent about this, he told me the extra insurance was not necessary. I would get something in writing to confirm this before leaving on your trip

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

My understanding is, my insurance covers me like it was my own car. If I understood my agent right, if the rental car is damaged, then I, not my insurance company, am liable for the time it’s in the body shop being repaired. So in other words, if it’s in the shop for two weeks and they can’t rent the car, I have to pay the rent until it’s rentable again. My agent say’s she pays it, so I do too.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

what ever your car is covered for is transfered to the rental. The rental company can charge you the out of use fee, typically not covered, but a good adjustor can have that fee discounted or removed. If out of country, always get the rental car companies coverage.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

First of all, where are you going? If it is out of the US, be sure and tell your Ins. agent that. When we go to Aruba, my car Ins. does not cover that country. But…….the credit card I have that I use does. Called and talked to the person in that department who said that was a benefit on the card. The only thing they said I might want to take is the Primary Liability Coverage or Deductible Protection, can’t remember which one right now and that was up to me.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Florida

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Florida

Hey Bruce, I assume you’re leaving today?

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Quote:

Quote:

Florida

Hey Bruce, I assume you’re leaving today?

I wish that was true. When I was trying to find a good flight this last weekend they were going fast. I did find a Delta non stop, round trip at good time periods for $184.00 taxes included. Happy, Happy, Happy

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The short answer is “maybe”.

It depends on what coverage you already have from:

1. Your personal auto insurance.
    2. If you have coverage provided by a credit card. Many gold and platinum level cards offer coverage.

As always, there are endless deductables, terms, conditions, etc. For the sake of peace of mind, you might bet better off to just take the rental car company’s coverage.

Grouse

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

I’m told with my car insurance and my Cabela’s visa Signature card, I should be good.
    Thank you for all your help. Stay warm, Bruce

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.