Winter weather in the news

• Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Is it just my perception? It seems here in the northern middle part of the country we get extreme cold and snow and just go about our business like any other Tuesday. Yet they get the same weather to the east and it is an apocalyptic event. I always just roll my eyes when I see the news making such a big deal of the weather to the east. Especially now since they’ve been getting this weather for the last 5-6 years consistently. You’d think they would figure out how to deal with it by now.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

You get it here in the city too a lil bit. Blame the people then the media for being weather terrorists. Don’t know why but some just like to have a reason to b**CH about something.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Yea. They were playing up that “nor-easter” on the national news last night. Several frightening reports of an additional 3-6 inch mega-storm reported. In every bad road footage you could still clearly see most of the pavement.

grampatim
    Spirit Lake, IA

God, they go on and on and on about it!! Bunch of wussies!! Welcome to our world here in the midwest!!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Media hype. Then add the Weather Channel. Lightweights. They like the attention and everything is ten times as bad there as it is elsewhere. Same way on the coasts. They keep slapping their homes back in hurricane prone areas and the insurance companies keep larding it out to rebuild them while WE have to pay higher premiums because of someone else’s WANTS.

big_g
    Isle, MN

They were talking on NBC (Brina Williams) like if the NYC streets weren’t plowed quick enough, the new mayor would be thrown out on his azz ????

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

We need to consider that a bunch of folks walk or take public transportation on the East Coast. Much more dense population there. Also it is a fact those streets are narrow in the old neighborhoods. I can’t imagine the mess when they try and plow there.

crwzko
    St. Cloud, MN

We here, live in the Fly Over Lands in the minds of eastcoast media folks who decide what gets on the network.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Not defending the media coverage.. they do it for the ratings…

But when it comes to snowfall in those areas, they aren’t equipped to deal with it. I was in DC last year when they got a couple inches of snow. Schools closed down and people were advised to stay home if they could. They don’t have the snow plows/salt trucks we do, the salt stock piles, the chemicals to de-ice bridges, etc, nor are the roads built to be snow freindly. Fact is.. it is a bit more dangerous for them.

Think of it this way… in California, they build buildings to be earthquake proof. They don’t do that here in MN because we don’t see earthquakes. But I imagine if one to were hit here… you would hear the people in california saying “oh what are those minnesotan’s whining about?? A little shaking and they are freaking out…” lol

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Here I thought this thread was going to be the deep freeze coming Sun-Tues. Looks like we are on track for a record cold winter for 2 years in a row, unless this pattern breaks. Could we be on track for another perilous opener in Minnesota?

The most amazing thing is I believe 3 years ago was the winter where we were fishing in 80 degree weather in March.

I’d like to note the underlined “All Time Record Highs Possible”.

Everybody please pump some carbon into the air Sunday. It is our only defense.

And get out and buy those auger extensions before there is a run on them!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

And get out and buy those auger extensions before there is a run on them!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Do i need to bring my auger extension? It takes up so much room!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Do i need to bring my auger extension? It takes up so much room!

Careful. That thing might be worth gold after this cold snap and you might end up the victim of someone with gold fever.

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

Media hype. A lot more people live on the East coast so the media hypes it up for their ratings. I have gotten so I can’t hardly watch the “Weather Channel”.

Gundy

BBKK
    IA

I was thinking the same thing last night when they were all excited saying the eastern states were going to get “blanketed by a half-foot of snow”. They interviewed a guy in eastern Ohio who said he had to shovel his driveway four times yesterday (they got 5.5″ of snow), they were making it sound like they got 5 feet.

They were talking about single digit-below zero temperatures for a low monday night. Warning people to stay indoors as the windchill may approach 15 BELOW!

What gives? doesn’t the east get snow and cold every year?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Heck, i slept in my portable the other night. -15F.

I prolly should buy an extension. Just so i can ‘seriously’ ask if it’s needed.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Totally agree and love the term “weather terrorists”.

Nothing every happens unless it happens in New York. The average New Yacker is only vaguely aware of the existance of the rest of the world.

Put on a coat and hat and grab a shovel you whiny-assed east coasters. You’re not dizzy beause the world revolves around you, your dizzy because you’re fat, lazy, and out of shape. Now put down the sushi, leave the wine bar by the nearest exit, and shovel the damn sidwalk you wussies.

Grouse

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Well, the hype worked on the MN Governor. Schools are closed.

web page

big_g
    Isle, MN

Williams reported NYC has 2500 city owned plows…. that’s not counting the muni’s and private party He did say Detroit had 55 plows

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

All media is hype.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.