Willy

• Willy Wonka
    Forest Lake, Mn.

Christmas is always a special time. Most everyone seems to be in fine spirits and even those who are not will usually respond to a greeting when one is offered. In our house things are probably a little different than most. We do not have any kids so a large part of the season trickles by quieter than I am sure many households would experience.

One event that we have always looked forward to is making sure that tucked under the tree were a few packages for the kid we did have, our little chocolate lab, Willy. For the last eight years Willy has been our pride and joy. He has been our boy.

Willy always looked forward to the Christmas Season. He seemed to really get fired up when every year he would come along to help pick out a tree. He loved checking them all out and always behaved around them. His favorite was always the one we ended up bringing home. He spent time in the garage when we returned helping to figure out again, how the dang tree stand worked. He certainly had more patience then me. He was always willing to listen to my rants.

When the tree came into the house Willy always acted like he never saw a thing. He never once bothered an ornament or anything under the tree. For five or six days he would put up with our ritual of putting packages under the tree. Always ignoring the fancy wrapped boxes even though he knew most of them were his.

On Christmas Eve without any prompting from us, Willy would walk over by the tree and sit down. He would stare at us with a look only a lab owner can appreciate. He just seemed to know that this was the night he got to open some of his stuff. One by one he would pull and rip, grunt and dig, trying to get into his gift. By the time he accomplished his task he was about worn out. Willy would go through the same process over and over until everything we gave him was opened. Sometimes we made him wait with a couple boxes until the next morning; he never had a problem with it. Some years he would sleep by the tree waiting for morning to come. No matter how excited, he would never help himself until we told him it was ok.

About two months ago we had to put our boy down. He is now with his big brother who for 11 years previous to Willy, gave us the same joys every Christmas Season. To be blessed with a finer pair is unimaginable; it was a true honor sharing our house with them.

This year we skipped a tree, for it just didn’t seem right. One day we may again open our hearts to another crazy kid, but for now, part of this Christmas Eve will be spent reflecting on Willy. RIP little friend.

Thanks for reading the ramblings of a dog lover.

WS

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Very nice tribute. Sorry for your loss. Rest in Peace, Willy.

-J.

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

Willy was really lucky to have had you for as long as he did. Thanks

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Sorry for your loss…Its a pretty sad thing. We had to put our beagle of 10 years down a couple weeks ago..the only thing that eased the pain a little bit was giving a little more love to our golden retriever now. Great post Bambino.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Sounds like Willy had a great life with you.

skeeterbite
    illinois

RIP Willy, I have been there before. Hope he didn’t suffer.My prayers go out to you. Maybe one day you will find another dog who can be there for you like Willy.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

sorry for your loss, very nice tribute!

FlambeauVista
    Park Falls, WI

May the warmth of your memories comfort you in your time of sorrow.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Sitting here with my 1st ever puppy’s head on my lap. And I can’t imagine how I Will handle when that day comes. Sorry for you loss.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.