Best winter pack boots

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My old Rocky pack boots bit the dust last season. I have been going with my Danner pronghorn 1000 boots the last few seasons for just about everything ( Deer hunting, ice fishing , snow sleeding, ect. ) though I’d just go without a new pair of pack boots. But with the cool weather we have been having and the thought of a possible real cold deer season I am rethinking the idea of going without pack boots. I really hate the struggle of moving around and climbing tree stands in Bulky pack boots. What boots should I get that are warm in extream cold weather while being stationary? A few I am looking at are Lacross Alpha ice kings, Cabela’s Inferno and Baffin Apex. Anyone have an experience with any of these boots or any other one’s that you care to recommemd?

shockers
    Rochester

I got the regular Ice Kings last year and was pleased. Though they’re super heavy. Ok for ice fishing, though. I imagine the Alphas are even warmer. My cousin’s husband works in the winter on the oil rigs out in N.D. and swears by Baffins.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Don’t forget a high quality wicking sock!

FDR

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sounds like you want packs and I love packs. You gotta decide on temperature coverage. You can get the big kahunas that will keep your feet warm in anything or get what you need for the situation. I have never needed a pack bigger than Sorrel Caribous for stand hunting deer, mobile ice fishing or snowmobiling. I have heavier boots but I rarely wear them. I cant stand the bulkiness and stiffness. Caribous are perfect and they last forever. They are also light, flexible and affordable. I’m on my 3rd felts with this pair and the rubber/leather is still in excellent shape. Here they are. http://www.sorel.com/mens-caribou-boot-NM1000.html

Often imitated but never equaled.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

there’s two guys in our group who went with the inferno’s and are very pleased. I noticed I was getting some cold water into my boot the other day. Might need to do the boot shopping again. Last ones were a heack of a deal 6-7 years ago.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

not pack boots but I have been wearing camucks by Steger lightweight and warm

Mwal

catmando
    wis

Sounds like you want slip on,s I have a pair of hip boots made my muckboot company and they are warm If their sport boot are just as good i would look at them hard.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Get a pair of these, I added them on top of the insoles in my boot. Nice and warm. Menards had them on sale for $9.99

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHauqdaHbbA

Or try these, not sure how well they work and not cheap.

http://

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh0d5B1r13A

]www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg3eZVmPtTk

$99 at amazon with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermacell-Rechargeable-Heated-Insole-large/dp/B007SNUZC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382482219&sr=8-1&keywords=thermacell+insoles

bronzbak
    Long way from home

I have both infero’s and the predators from cabelas. Go with the predators they are much better on the ice. They are very warm and comfortable. My feet have never been cold since going to them.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Baffin is what I have now and don’t even plan to look elsewhere when and if I ever need new ones. Probably the warmest boot you’ll find.

Moisture wicking socks with a medium weight wool sock are mandatory for any PAC boot.

Hotrod2

Baffin Titan. 100% waterproof with removable liner. Very warm. Very light. and only around $100.

Check out winterfootwear.com

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Irish Setter or nothing for me. Elk Tracker or Black Bear models, they each come in various insulation weights, goretex and leather. Half sizes and all widths available. I dont think you can find a boot manufacturer that will make so many sizes providing the perfect fit.

competitor
    South central, mn

I have big feet so I am limited, but I found Rocky PAC boots on sale in my size a couple years ago and love them. A couple buddies swear by Muck boots for ice fishing and hunting. I find boots that tie more comfortable and adjustable. Just my two cents. Good luck and warm feet to ya

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Quote:

I have Baffins and love them

X2

Super light and super warm.

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

My Rocky Deer Stalker 1400’s have never let me down…deer hunting sitting all day in the stand, on the ice for 8 hours, 10 mile Boy Scout Winter hikes, etc!

zooks

Quote:

I have both infero’s and the predators from cabelas. Go with the predators they are much better on the ice. They are very warm and comfortable. My feet have never been cold since going to them.

I compared the Infernos and Predators as well, went with the Predators and am glad I did. This will be my 6th season on my pair and they’re still going strong, very pleased with them and will purchase another pair when the time comes. IMO, though, I think you’ll be happy with any of the choices you’ve listed. Good luck with what you decide.

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

Quote:

Baffin is what I have now and don’t even plan to look elsewhere when and if I ever need new ones. Probably the warmest boot you’ll find.

Moisture wicking socks with a medium weight wool sock are mandatory for any PAC boot.

I couldn’t agree more. I bought a pair last season and I love them. the are light enough you can hole hop all day but still plenty warm!

john-o
    Hastings, MN

The guys that mentioned Baffin, which specific boot in their line. Rodney mentioned Titan.

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

I have a pair of the Impacts. I couldn’t be happier with them!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

The guys that mentioned Baffin, which specific boot in their line. Rodney mentioned Titan.

I think mine are an old pair of Impact. Mine are a tall leather boot. I think the newer ones are not leather. I may be wrong though.

The only thing I’ve heard negative is about the soles. Some people find them hard on their feet. I don’t myself. Getting the correct size is crututial. Especially for warmth.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I just took a look at their site and figured I’d give you my opinion. If I were to buy again I’d consider the APEX model. It’s more similar to mine.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I went with the muck brand 4 years age and haven’t looked back. started with the wetland and upgraded to the artic pro last year. easy on and off, no bending over to tie and untie, light, warm and WATERPROOF.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Just received a e-mail from Gearcore.com . They have 15% 0ff any Muck boot until Oct 31. Just add GEARCORE15 in the coupon code box.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Where are all you Baffin owners finding them. All the places they list on their web site here in the metro area do not have any of them to look at or try. I really like to see and feel something of this high of $ before buying. Anyone know of anyplace in a reasonable distance of the twin cities that may have them in stock.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.