lower unit

• slipbobnick
    MN

Last year when I was winterizing boat drained the lower unit and just left it empty assuming nothing in there couldn’t cause any problems. My brothers telling me I should put the fluid in otherwise could cause it to condensate and rust. ANy thoughts?

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Last year when I was winterizing boat drained the lower unit and just left it empty assuming nothing in there couldn’t cause any problems. My brothers telling me I should put the fluid in otherwise could cause it to condensate and rust. ANy thoughts?

Refill it and directed

drewbop
    Duluth

I always changed lower unit oil in the fall and then spring to ensure there isn’t any water in it. For the exact reasons you previous stated…

slipbobnick
    MN

so leaving it empty in the winter and refilling in the spring bad idea?

Palerider77

Keep it filled to spec and sealed.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Totally agree with your brother. Fill it back up. Those parts were meant to be kept in an oil bath. Why would you leave them dry.

I’m not sure where this idea of leaving the lube out of the lower unit started, but I think it’s a load of crapola. Some guys say oh, there could be moisture in the lube and that water could “burst” your lower unit. I’m calling BS on that armchair mechanic theory. The whole lower unit would have to be 100% full of water to be able to burst the unit if it were to freeze. A little bit of moisture is not going to hurt the lower unit.

And besides, once you put clean lube in, there wouldn’t be any moisture in there at all.

Being of Eastern European ancestery, I have a special gift for being able to see bad s#it before it actually happens. Leaving a lower unit empty with no lube. Hmmmm, now what could possibly go wrong there? Oh, yes, forget to fill it up in the spring and blow out your whole lower unit.

Drain it and fill it. Keep it safe and simple.

Grouse

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

so leaving it empty in the winter and refilling in the spring bad idea?

Bad idea. You would not be the first person to leave it empty and forget to refill. Then lunch out the lower unit on the first run next spring.

The rust problem is also vald. There is no good reason to leave it empty.

-J.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

I always changed lower unit oil in the fall and then spring to ensure there isn’t any water in it. For the exact reasons you previous stated…

Whatever turns your crank, but why would there be any water in the lower unit after sitting for the winter?

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Merc school say never store empty so I don’t. You can crack the lower screw and if it comes out pure oil put it back and run it another year too. Just be sure its full to the fill hole. Which it will be if no water is in it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.