Gov’t shutdown a good thing maybe

• sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Maybe if the gov’t has no money they can quit wasting it. Somehow I begin to doubt that we will ever have an impact on netting and such. Long read but interesting.

Tribes mishandle funds

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

I agree, at least there not spending Money

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

The govt. might claim to be shut down but they are still spending money

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Maybe if the gov’t has no money they can quit wasting it. Somehow I begin to doubt that we will ever have an impact on netting and such. Long read but interesting.

Tribes mishandle funds

As much as it would be nice to believe this is a racial issue it’s not. Did anybody watch 60 minutes last night? Millions of dollars going down the drain on the Federal Disability Programs.

Your example is just another case of fraud & greed running wild in our society. People will do most anything for the almighty dollar. It’s not a red, or yellow, black or white issue.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Quote:

The govt. might claim to be shut down but they are still spending money

And the last time the Feds shut-r-down, they bought off the government employees by giving them back pay when they went back to work. So, essentially, it was MORE expensive to shut it down.

This one’s going to be a LONG and nasty shutdown, that’s my prediction. You have a president who’s not worried aobut re-election, a congress NOT facing a big election year, the Tea Party who doesn’t care about anything except principles, and the Republicans in the house who wish they had never heard the words “Tea Party”. The cogressional Democrats are enjoying just how bad all the other parties are making themselves look.

IMO, it’s going to be weeks, not days.

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

The cogressional Democrats are enjoying just how bad all the other parties are making themselves look.

Well when they got the main stream media parroting their message, it must be rough.

There are 2 types of politicians. Those who make hard decisions and choices which may not be the most popular or the easiest and then there are democrats.

And closing down in 3.2.1….

bianchi96
    Gateway to Whitewater

Then there is the republicants that try and blame this mess on the poor.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Its our fault. We the people voted these guys and their policies in over the years because it made life easier and more enjoyable, without regard to the future. Now it looks like everybody is going to suffer because of it and we’ll all refer back to the “good ole days”.

bigpike

Quote:

IBTL X2

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Gets your boats paid off or this will become
    InDepthBankFishing.com

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Are those like the democants?

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

So if they are going to pay these guys for not working why not let them go ahead and keep working until they open up

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

And I quote the Simpsons

Quote:

Mmph, Del Monte. Enjoy your peas old man, they will be your last.

Disclaimer, old man is not directed at anyone.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

So if they are going to pay these guys for not working why not let them go ahead and keep working until they open up

Haven’t I taught you guys anything? Never waste a good crisis. There is no crisis if they are working!

The fact that they have to manufacture things like barricading open monuments and closing parks in order for us to feel anything tells me there is a lot of non essential things that need to be cut.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

The fact that they have to manufacture things like barricading open monuments and closing parks in order for us to feel anything tells me there is a lot of non essential things that need to be cut.

Totally amazing isn’t it?

Hunting land that can’t be accessed because the US Government is shut down. We don’t need to be supervised to hunt ducks or deer whether it’s OUR land (Federal property) or any other property.

If they could streamline employee paychecks, I would vote for it to stay shut down.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I can’t believe a party is holding us all hostage, because the other party will not “compromise” on something that is law of the land. Obamacare went through due process and became law. It also was heard by the Supreme Court as unconstitutional and upheld… and they want to “compromise” this law away by not funding it ? Last I checked, when something is written as law, it takes an act of congress to change it… not a government shutdown

krappiekilla
    Zimmerman, MN

Quote:

Its not that they are not spending money… the money has already been spent and now we are trying to pass a budget to give us the money to pay for what we already bought. its like having a credit card and maxing it out then not paying the outstanding balance because you feel that you should never have been given it in the first place or that you were never asked to have one, then trying to just walk away from the money that is owed. This is not a good thing because the longer that the shutdown lasts, the more effect it will have on the value of the American dollar. This is not looking to be a good thing for the country if they don’t figure it out soon. And hopefully its not weeks^^

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I can’t believe a party is holding us all hostage, because the other party will not “compromise” on something that is law of the land. Obamacare went through due process and became law. It also was heard by the Supreme Court as unconstitutional and upheld… and they want to “compromise” this law away by not funding it ? Last I checked, when something is written as law, it takes an act of congress to change it… not a government shutdown

It takes an act of congress…unless the President wants to change things like giving big evil corporations another year to try and comply.

You are right, it all became law, however they put off the implementation of it. Now there is a new congress that controls submitting the first budget. Since we have a balance of power, the house of reps is using its power to negotiate. All the other side would probably have to do is delay the individual mandate like the admin did for corporations. That and probably a handful of other things to be negotiated.

Clinton did it. The Bushs did it. Reagan did it. Why does this admin and the senate refuse to act like grown ups and instead act like terrorists (isn’t that the rhetoric they are using)? Bills have been sent to get parts of the government up and running while negotiations take place, but the senate refuses bring them to the floor.

As long as the left is able to control the message, be it honest or not, I guess there is no reason for them to negotiate on a budget.

Personally I think they should just send over a “clean” budget. The faster things get implemented, the faster I can say I told you so.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

And stop pushing my buttons

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

It takes an act of congress…unless the President wants to change things like giving big evil corporations another year to try and comply.

The enforcement has already been delayed for businesses for a year. The House is asking that it be delayed a year for the public.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

The enforcement has already been delayed for businesses for a year. The House is asking that it be delayed a year for the public.

I thought I said all that.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Wait, they close Federal areas to hunting and fishing, barricade open air memorials, but it is OK to hold an illegal immigrant rally???

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

I thought I said all that.

24 posts and you’ve had 8 of them (33%), and perhaps we still don’t get your point!

desperado

Gov’t Shutdown COULD be a good thing (maybe)
    But D.C. even screwed that up

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

…and perhaps we still don’t get your point!

Well that wouldn’t surprise me.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Here’s my take on this shutdown, with apologies to the OP as we’ve started to glide off from original intent…..

We have a government shutdown due to the fact that Congress cannot get a budget bill to the President. The main source of contention is by the Tea Party group that wants to defund the new healthcare law.

Whether or not the new healthcare law is good or bad can be debated but at least we have a President that has decided to make an effort to improve healthcare in this country vs. the do nothing change nothing opposing side. So instead of coming to the table with discussions on how to improve the law, they want to just blow it up.
    Now, before I get all woes me toward the President, we have this HC law based on the fact that the Dems controlled all three points when the law was passed, on the backs of some very shady deals for votes. So I don’t feel that there’s anything wrong now with the Tea Party using a leverage point to contend some points in the law.

What is wrong with this whole process is that our elected leaders need to get away from this “black and white”, “right or wrong” mentality and learn to legislate with at least a sliver of support from both parties. And as voters we should not EVER put one party in control of all three points (house, senate, presidency), we need that ability to check and balance each other.

ET

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.