Truck tires

• c_hof
    New Richmond, WI

I am in need of a new set of tires for my Chevy Silverado. What are you guys running on your trucks? Good/bad? I was looking at Cooper Discoverer CTS or A/T3, but they run about $1200 installed from Fleet Farm. Discount tire has Falken Rocky Mountain ATS for around $700. Any experience with those?

Most miles are highway and I’m looking for decent traction in snowy conditions since my wife drives it daily.

Thanks for any insight.

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

I got some Hankook ATMs in July for my Chevy 1500. They seem to be a pretty good tire both on the road and mud. My cousin has some on a Dodge 1500 and he thought they were good in the winter.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I was impressed with the last set of BF Rugged Terrains for ride and durability however they were not great on snow. No tire siping so stear clear of those.

navtiller
    chippewa falls

Firestone Destination AT. Excellent winter traction and long life. I have them on my Silverado now. 45,000 and going to replace them with another set this fall

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I have been pretty impressed with the Goodyear Wranglers I bought back in July 2011, nice ride and good traction.

I have around 50k on them now and they should get me through this winter yet still 7/32 of tread on them.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

Firestone Destination AT. Excellent winter traction and long life. I have them on my Silverado now. 45,000 and going to replace them with another set this fall

Same here except I have a ’10 F150. I went with the C load range for heavier hauling. Other people that have driven my truck thru the snow thought the tires were phenomenal in the snow. They are quiet and are lasting longer than I expected. Would buy these again in a heartbeat.

midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

Are you looking for a LT tire?? There is a big price difference between a LT and a P rated tire. If you don’t do a whole lot of heavy hauling a P tire may work for you. You can still get an AT (All Terrain) tire in a P. Just something to think about.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Goodyear Wrangler Dura track.
    80k on tires could have gone more but were getting thin for winter.
    Best winter traction tire I have had.

I do not have too much good to say for Maxxis Big Horn on wear life and winter traction. Will be going back to Gy Duratrack on next truck.

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

Quote:

Quote:

Same here except I have a ’10 F150. I went with the C load range for heavier hauling. Other people that have driven my truck thru the snow thought the tires were phenomenal in the snow. They are quiet and are lasting longer than I expected. Would buy these again in a heartbeat.

x2 with 64000 on originals replacing with the same next month.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Since we are on tires, where’s the best place to buy them?
    I need to replace the 275/60/20’s on my truck before winter and it’s not cheap.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Best tires I have ever had are the Michelan LTX. I’ve had both the A/T’s and MS/2. I average about 80K+ miles per set with regular rotation. Excellent highway, minimal noise, great traction in heavy rain/snow.
    I would urge you to NOT put a passenger car tire on a truck. You won’t get the life expectancy out of them. I’ve tried a couple times and FAILED. Of all the different truck tires I have owned, the Michelans have been by far the best for the money.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve been happy with General Grabber HTS on my Sequoia.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Quote:

Best tires I have ever had are the Michelan LTX. I’ve had both the A/T’s and MS/2.

x2

Although I did just put on a set of E-Rated Nitto Grapplers on my powerstroke. They look sweet! My previous experiences with the Michelin LTX A/T were great and a better tire than the BF Goodrich TKO.

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Best tires I have ever had are the Michelan LTX. I’ve had both the A/T’s and MS/2.

x2

Although I did just put on a set of E-Rated Nitto Grapplers on my powerstroke. They look sweet! My previous experiences with the Michelin LTX A/T were great and a better tire than the BF Goodrich TKO.

X2 on Michelin MS 2

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Best tires I have ever had are the Michelan LTX. I’ve had both the A/T’s and MS/2. I average about 80K+ miles per set with regular rotation. Excellent highway, minimal noise, great traction in heavy rain/snow.
    I would urge you to NOT put a passenger car tire on a truck. You won’t get the life expectancy out of them. I’ve tried a couple times and FAILED. Of all the different truck tires I have owned, the Michelans have been by far the best for the money.

X2 the Michelins wear like iron, but man they are high $$$

zooks

Michelin LTX M/S 2 are the only truck tires I will buy and I go to Discount Tire – prices and service is good plus I like the fact that you can get fixed at any of their shops instead of needing to go back to one place.

I took the libery to price out 18″ M/S 2’s in the west metro, you’d be out the door at $1282 with full replacement warranty, $1130 without.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/cart/selectStore.do?productTypeId=1&v=017018%7C2010&r=MNMINT%7Cpc%7C55416&storeCode=MNM-03&productId=35426

I rountinely get 70K+ on these tires with regular rotation and have great performance in all conditions, well worth the money in my book. Good luck on what you decide.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

FYI – Not sure if it is still going, but I had heard that Rochester Ford was offering a buy 2 get 2 free tire promotion.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I think the current Ford promo is buy 3 get one free with a $50-75 gift card rebate. I’m looking at the Mich LTX tires, been real happy with my General Grabbers and that is another option.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

ive got goodyear duratracs on now and love them they are my favorite truck tire ive had so far. Last ones were bf Goodrich at ko and those were real decent too. both have great winter traction and still run good down the highway. the goodyears I like better in the mud though.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Wow, I’m a bit shocked at the prices being tossed out on tires. My last set of Michelans on my truck just cracked the $900 mark, and I thought that was getting outrageous. I’ve got about 15K or so miles left before I need to borrow from Fort Knox I see

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Michelan LTX.

Nothing but good experiences with them and on my third set with 2 different trucks…

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Big differance on the price of LT or P-metric tires. Big price differance on 16/17 inch over 18/20inch tires also. Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Just put LT275/70R18 LR E on F150 $880 out the door for Cooper AT3. Also got a $80 rebate coming back. Just sayin.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Quote:

I was looking at Cooper Discoverer CTS or A/T3, but they run about $1200 installed from Fleet Farm.

I put the A/T3’s on my F150 last fall. $800 out the door at Dales Repair in St Michael. 18″ rims. Very happy with them.

Seems tire prices jump around as much as gas prices do.

dbright
    Cambridge

I’m on my second set of Nitto Terra Grapplers with the first set making it 82xxx. They work great in the snow and for not being a mud tire they work decent in the mud.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

I put a set of 265/70/18 AT3s on my Titan last fall and I couldn’t be happier with them. I’ve put a lot of miles on them this summer towing a heavy boat back and forth up north and they’re finally showing a small amount of wear. I did a lot of research on tires before I shelled out the cash and they got great reviews. I think I paid 860 for the set. If anybody lives in Southern WI, I’d recommend Tireific in Watertown. They beat everybody else I called by at least 100 bucks.

basser
    White Bear Lake,mn.

I’m running Bridgestones (desert duelers) they are low noise and good traction thru-out the year.Wearing is good with rotation at 5 thousand miles.Discount is where I purchased.

c_hof
    New Richmond, WI

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. Looks like the most recommendations were for the Michelin LTX with the Firestone Destination AT’s getting some good feedback too. I’m going with the Firestone’s. Got a quote this morning for $770 installed at Tire Pros in Stillwater. I usually buy my car tires at Discount Tire, but there truck tire selection is not as good. The quote I got for the Michelins was $1100.

Thanks!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Tire Pro’s in Stillwater and Hudson have treated me right. I would not hesitate to go there for tires.

jonboy
    Wausau, WI

Ditto on The “Top of the Line” Wranglers on my Tundra…Going on 60 K with even wear and more miles to go…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.