Leadcore question

• llong

My dad is trying to get into leadcore. He bought 14 lb Cabelas leadcore, what can he expect for sink rate per color. All info I have is using 18 lb. Or the new suffix. Is he just better off returning it and getting 18 lb.

jsmx125

My opinion is to definitely return it and get 18lbs lead, or maybe the Suffix 832 12 Lbs (but probably not best for beginners). Regular 18 is cheapest and most widely used and discussed. 18 LBS lead will dive 5 feet per color at 2 MPH. Suffix 832 12 lbs will dive 7 feet per color at 2mph.

shefland
    Walker

If he already has it spooled up, go out to a known area, lets say sand or rock, put your leader and lure on, make several runs at different depths, but the same speed, till you hit bottom, bingo, you have the sink rate for his line. I believe this is a good thing to do anyway for everybody.

llong

Line is still in the package, just trying to figure what would be easier for him. All info I have is for 18 lb, running 2 mph is 5 ft per color, or 7 for the 832. Will 14 give you say 3-4 ft per color??

wallster
    Austin, MN

Make it easier on him and tell him to get the 18lb. If he wants some help learning it he can jump in the boat with me next weekend for a couple hours and ill help him narrow down his time on learning it. Much easier to learn it hands on than to read it. You going to be up next weekend by chance??
    Wallster ><((((>

llong

I figured getting 18 would be the easiest route.
    Wallster I wont be up there,I’ll be back here hopefully smackin sky carp!!They are heading up tomorrow and will be there till next tuesday. I gave him my trolling bible to help with the dive curve on his cranks so that should help him. Ill let him know about your offer, thanks

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

My dad is trying to get into leadcore. He bought 14 lb Cabelas leadcore, what can he expect for sink rate per color. All info I have is using 18 lb. Or the new suffix. Is he just better off returning it and getting 18 lb.

Shouldn’t be much issue with the 14# vs 18#. The real difference is break strength not sink rate. Actually you should get a slightly increased sink rate for the lighter 14# line due to smaller diameter creating less resistance thru the water however it is virtually negligible until you’re running 5 or more colors so essentially still 5′ per color. Using the 18# charts will be just fine

personally i recommend 12# Suffix 832. i have it on all of my walleye rods. The main advantage is having to let less line out but it also is stronger than advertised and I have had no issues landing a few 20+ lb ‘Skies last summer on Mille Lacs. The reason less line out (due to the faster sink rate) is such an advantage is you’ll be able to get a much better feel for what’s happening with your lure if it fouls or ticks bottom.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

personally i recommend 12# Suffix 832. i have it on all of my walleye rods. The main advantage is having to let less line out but it also is stronger than advertised… The reason less line out (due to the faster sink rate) is such an advantage is you’ll be able to get a much better feel for what’s happening with your lure if it fouls or ticks bottom.

+1. Get the Suffix 832. More up front, but he’ll only want it more when he learns how to with the old stuff. I wish I could have “learned” with 832. Less line = more enjoyment / effectiveness.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I just noticed you’re an East side of Mille Lacs guy… Where do you stay when you’re up? I grew up in Malmo and could help you out next time I’m up.

llong

Will, we have a place at agate bay. Family been going there 30+ years.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.