Another wood pile

• kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Wasn’t sure how to add a pic to the previous post about the size of ones wood pile & wanted to see if this fancy iPad had the ability to add a pic.

Anyhow I’m about 2/3 ready for winter. This will be our 4th season heating with wood and we’ll have recovered the cost. Now it’s pure profit to be used for more fishing stuff.

Who else heats with wood?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Thats awesome! I’ve always been curious about that kind of set up, you like I assume.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Stoke it in the morning before work and again 12 hrs later. Anywhere from 2 to 4 chunks of wood dependent on outside temp. The best part is the install can be done with moderate ease. Change the 200 gallons of water every 4 years. Pretty low maintenance IMHO.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Stoke it in the morning before work and again 12 hrs later. Anywhere from 2 to 4 chunks of wood dependent on outside temp. The best part is the install can be done with moderate ease. Change the 200 gallons of water every 4 years. Pretty low maintenance IMHO.

When you say change the water, is that for in floor heat? I never knew that you could run it that way.

FDR

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

You can run the water through almost any home heating mechanism. Forced air is what we have but boilers, in-floor, etc also work. Pretty simple design. Hope to add a shop radiator with fan (home made), radiator in 3 season room & FW wants a hot tub. Just add another log. I’ll include a link to central boilers site. Better explained there.

http://www.centralboiler.com/applications.php

Honestly tho – you need immediate access to wood & a good back plus you need to enjoy time in the woods. With the cost of gas, a heavy duty trailer & truck to pull it you would be financially no further ahead to install a boiler. For us it just happens to work where we currently reside.

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Very Nice ! Its a good way to work out for winter and relax at the same time.

Ries
    Eau Claire, WI

My parents heated with and an outdoor burner for years. Easiest way we found was to get a semi load of oak logs to cut and split the spring before burning.
    We had them lay a few logs like rails and then pile the rest on top to roll down and cut up. Worked slick.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

My parents heated with and an outdoor burner for years. Easiest way we found was to get a semi load of oak logs to cut and split the spring before burning.
    We had them lay a few logs like rails and then pile the rest on top to roll down and cut up. Worked slick.

That works well but all of the sawdust is a mess to clean up. We have our Outdoor boiler in a separate 20 X 40 shed and store the wood inside the shed. It’s nice to have it out of the weather but it does make it a pain to have to handle the wood twice unless you cut it right next to the shed and have sawdust all over.

Thinking about a large tarp but I don’t know how well that would work.

What are you paying for a load of logs and how many cord is it?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.