watercraft inspectors

• run&gun
    MN

Can the watercraft inspectors open coolers, livewells and compartments without consent? I had a guy go through my boat and said I needed to sponge out all the remaining water from the livewells.

desperado

confusing laws/regulations have been enacted with no basis in logic
    and what should we expect but
    confusion in enforcement with no basis in logic

big_g
    Isle, MN

yes, I carry a dri-soaking towel in my boat now…. no water in livewell, means a drop is too much now. The laws they have are like closing the barn door, after all the animals are out and loose…

jerry b
    western WI

One guy @ the Bluffs threw a fit over my gallon sprayer full of bleach/water solution that I keep in the front livewell. Told him to sniff it b4 he passed judgement, he sniffed, I dumped. Sometimes I don’t think that there’s a lot of room for common sense and the dnr. jerr

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

I think it was 1990 when I first heard of zebras in Pepin. Is the barn door closed yet. But now I guess we have tons of cash to eradicate them

Zach H

Quote:

yes, I carry a dri-soaking towel in my boat now…. no water in livewell, means a drop is too much now.

What about the water that could be in your bilge??? They want your livewells clean and dry, but there’s no way possible to do the same with your bilge. These laws are kind getting out of hand. I understand we need to protect our waters, but there comes a point where somethings you cannot control.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Don’t forget about the water in your motor and water pump/impeller. Tell them to wipe that dry too.

Make sure you wipe your trailer dry too. Those zeebs could be anywhere.

matt

If you put a boat in the water there is NO possible way to completely dry it without a complete dissassemble of the whole boat.Every boat leaving a lake could be ticketed.No drop of water in the livewell or a possible ticket,but the hose going in or out of it?What a waste of time and money.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

I think it was 1990 when I first heard of zebras in Pepin. Is the barn door closed yet. But now I guess we have tons of cash to eradicate them

Truth be told

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

On the Croix there several ramps without inspectors. I use those ramps and I dont miss the Bluffs one bit.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Didn’t say I agree with it, didn’t even say I comply/use it, just that I “have” the rag if/when questioned. Always nice to have that jug of water to change out the bait water too… just sayin’ a little fore thought can save a guy from having to come on here beochin’ about it later

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Here is what I found on fines I can not find anything on the probable cause to open wells and coolers.
    Subd. 5. Civil penalties.
    A civil citation issued under this section must impose the following penalty amounts:
    (1) for transporting aquatic macrophytes in violation of section 84D.09, $50;
    (2) for placing or attempting to place into waters of the state water-related equipment that has aquatic macrophytes attached, $100;
    (3) for unlawfully possessing or transporting a prohibited invasive species other than an aquatic macrophyte, $250;
    (4) for placing or attempting to place into waters of the state water-related equipment that has prohibited invasive species attached when the waters are not designated by the commissioner as being infested with that invasive species, $500 for the first offense and $1,000 for each subsequent offense;
    (5) for intentionally damaging, moving, removing, or sinking a buoy marking, as prescribed by rule, Eurasian water
    milfoil, $100;
    (6) for failing to remove plugs, open valves, and drain water from water-related equipment, other than marine sanitary systems, before leaving waters of the state, $50; and
    (7) for transporting infested water off riparian property without a permit as required by rule, $200.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Quote:

Can the watercraft inspectors open coolers, livewells and compartments without consent? I had a guy go through my boat and said I needed to sponge out all the remaining water from the livewells.

You can deny access they have not the authority to enter the private property. However they can call enforcement to report a denial.

deertracker

I usually stay away from these posts but want to clarify something. You only need probable cause to make an arrest. To perform a search you just need to meet the lesser standard of reasonable articulable suspicion.
    DT

brian_j

I thought these inspections were voluntary too but last week on Minnetonka I had an inspector (not DNR agent) tell me different.

I’ve been inspected a million times and it usually takes 20 seconds or less and I just keep doing what I do and they’re done by the time I’m backing down the ramp.

This guy walked in between my truck and boat WHILE I WAS BACKING UP. When I put it in park and asked what he was doing he got short with me and said “I’m not done with my inspection”

I replied “these inspections are not mandatory and you can’t stop my from launching”

He replied “the inspections are mandatory, the questions are voluntary”

I still think they are not mandatory but know am not sure.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You guys will be begging for these days once they start forcing people to dry-dock their boats for a week before being able to launch another body of water.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

The other week I was backing down the Cedar Creek landing at Mille at the side bilge and out the plug hole. The side bilge almost soaked him. They were really nice, I opened everything they asked, visited about where I was at the last couple weeks with the boat, made his head spin.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

I thought these inspections were voluntary too but last week on Minnetonka I had an inspector (not DNR agent) tell me different.
    {clipped}

Anywhere within the Minnehaha Creek Watershed District (which includes Minnetonka, but also many lakes within the Three Rivers Park District thru agreement & in Carver County thru agreement with the MCWD you’ll encounter Inspectors hired directly by the County to do Inspection on a set schedule, everyday at some and rotating shifts at others), you’ll encounter Inspectors hired thru the Watershed District, mostly thru Volt Services. Mixed in with these are MnDNR Inspectors at many of these lake accesses.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

Legally/Technically, NO!

They can ask you to open them up, but the should not be inside your watercraft, nor should they be opening any of your containers or equipment.

Part of it depends on whom is doing the Inspection:
    Whether a Volunteer,
    Paid Level I or II,
    Law Enforcement/Conservation Officer, etc.

Anyone other than a DNR employee or Law Enforcement, I wouldn’t let them touch anything inside the boat citing Liability concerns if they damage/break anything they touch or more likely if they get hurt stepping on your wet trailer to look inside.

However refusal may make you day & life miserable.

2-weeks ago, a BASS Fishing friend with his Bass Boat was Inspected by an overzealous DNR Inspector that stated he dislikes Bass Fishermen and blames them for transferring Invasives. After a few words they held him there until a C.O. whom had been called showed up. In the mean time the inspector found a small piece of algae wrapped on his transducer. He got the ticket

Most Inspectors are pretty good, but many are getting overzealous and pushing the limits of what is legally allowed.

I took the MnDNR Volunteer AIS Inspector Training in April just for personal knowledge and learned much of what they can and cannot do.

MnDNR Watercraft Inspection link

MnDNR Watercraft Inspection Handbook link to PDF

mnmarlin

Apparently they Zeeb’s don’t attach to boats after 5pm. I was on Ottertail today, nice guy checked us on the way out, asked which lake the boat had been on previously (Ottertail) and said just check for weeds and pull all the plugs when you leave. They had a cleaning station set up for boats getting pulled out. They were all gone when we loaded. What sense does that make? The AIS only are active 8 to 5? I know they are only doing as directed. Other lakes on the Ottertail chain are already infected, only a matter of time.

doll0043
    Minneapolis

Just some clippings from the laws as they currently are…i did a paper on this for a policy class

Subd. 8b.Inspect.

“Inspect” means to examine water-related equipment to determine whether aquatic invasive species, aquatic macrophytes, or water is present and includes removal, drainage, decontamination, or treatment to prevent the transportation and spread of aquatic invasive species, aquatic macrophytes, and water.

Subd. 18a.Water-related equipment.

“Water-related equipment” means a motor vehicle, boat, watercraft, dock, boat lift, raft, vessel, trailer, tool, implement, device, or any other associated equipment or container, including but not limited to portable bait containers, live wells, ballast tanks except for those vessels permitted under the Pollution Control Agency vessel discharge program, bilge areas, and water-hauling equipment that is capable of containing or transporting aquatic invasive species, aquatic macrophytes, or water.

Subdivision 1.Compliance inspections.

Compliance with aquatic invasive species inspection requirements is an express condition of operating or transporting water-related equipment. An inspector may prohibit an individual from placing or operating water-related equipment in waters of the state if the individual refuses to allow an inspection of the individual’s water-related equipment or refuses to remove and dispose of aquatic invasive species, aquatic macrophytes, and water.

(b) Inspectors may visually and tactilely inspect watercraft and water-related equipment to determine whether aquatic invasive species, aquatic macrophytes, or water is present. If a person transporting watercraft or water-related equipment refuses to take required corrective actions or fails to comply with an order under section 84D.10, subdivision 3, an inspector who is not a licensed peace officer shall refer the violation to a conservation officer or other licensed peace officer.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Where is Jesse Ventura when he’s needed.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Quote:

Smokin dope in Mexico by candle light waiting for the aliens to land so he can be the first to greet them.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

Smokin dope in Mexico by candle light waiting for the aliens to land so he can be the first to greet them.

He’s exactly where he needs to be when we need him…somewhere else. But then again, I didn’t teach at Harvard like he did and I am not a Freemason…as far as you know.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Easy on Jessie guys. He may be a crazy paranoid schizophrenic but he’s OUR crazy paranoid schizophrenic.
    Go Jessie. Thanks again for those 2 checks!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.