boat winch

• uncle-glen-1
    LaCrosse, Wi

The winch on my trailer needs to be replaced, any recommendations? My boat is a 17.5 ranger (glass) with a 115 Yamaha on the back. what does the lbs. rating mean?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

ttt for someone to help with an answer.

ps I thought this was going to be a post about bk.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

The winch on my trailer needs to be replaced, any recommendations? My boat is a 17.5 ranger (glass) with a 115 Yamaha on the back. what does the lbs. rating mean?

Anyone with any answers??

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I’ll try…..
    Either Fulton or Dutton-Lainson make a decent winch…
    As far as the weight rating you can match the old one….
    I myself bought a 2 speed 5000lb winch…..much easier to move the boat on the bunks with it set on low for my old arms……

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

More than likely will need to order one through a Ranger Dealer. The after market Fultons probably have a different bolt pattern.

-J.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

This is from a FAQ page on the Dutton-Lainson website.
    http://www.dutton-lainson.com/faq.php

“MANUAL WINCHES

Q. How do I know what size winch is needed for my boat?

A. Generally, a 2-to-1 ratio is appropriate (1100 lb winch for a 2200 lb boat), but there are factors to consider. When a well-equipped and maintained roller trailer is used and the ramp setup is such that it allows the boat to float partway onto the trailer, the ratio can be stretched to 3-to-1. On the other hand, if the ramp is steep, a carpeted bunk trailer is used, or conditions require the winch to pull the boat a longer distance, the ratio should be reduced to 1-to-1.”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.