Boat Rolling Off Trailer

• Jeff Matura
    Sumner, IA

This is the first roller trailer I have owned and hate it so far. Boat is a Mr. Pike 1775 and when launching I always have to jump in and start motor, then put it in gear to launch, pain in the arse compared to previous bunk trailers I have owned…

What am I doing wrong? Can the rollers be adjusted so they don’t roll so easy? I dont see why roller trailers are so popular…

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I unhook the safety chain on mine before backing it in. Keep the strap connected until it is backed in. Back in, start boat, then unhook the strap.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

They shine on level ramps. Not so much on steep ramps.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Get a good rope about 20′ long.

Tie the rope to a tie down at the front of the boat and have the other end right where you can easily grab it when unhooking the boat or tie it off to the back of the truck or somewhere near the winch on the trailer.

Back the boat in so that it’s just about floating on its own.

Unhook the boat, grab the rope and allow the boat to roll off the trailer then tie it off to the pier.

I have a roller trailer for my 18′ Pro V. Been launching it this way since the day I bought it. Just like boats, all trailers have their pluses & minuses.

Once you learn what works for you, it won’t be an issue.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Mine is the same way. Rolls right off the trailer. Never seen this as a issue. Well one time while trying to load by myself it was. I back the trailer in to where I want it. Un hook the strap and chain. Quickly jump in. Start it up and go park it. Got a feeling its may just be a matter of getting used to a new loading and un loading procedure for you.

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

Quote:

I unhook the safety chain on mine before backing it in. Keep the strap connected until it is backed in. Back in, start boat, then unhook the strap.

I USED to do that. Until my winch let go on a long steep ramp, and there is a nice dent in the back of my hull to prove to me safety chain needs to stay on till trailer is in the water. I’m lucky I didn’t damage my lower unit…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I wish my boat came off the rollers easier. Must be all the zebs in the rollers.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

I USED to do that. Until my winch let go on a long steep ramp, and there is a nice dent in the back of my hull to prove to me safety chain needs to stay on till trailer is in the water. I’m lucky I didn’t damage my lower unit…

I agree! Never unhook that safety chain until your ready to dump the boat in the water.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Mine used to roll off really easily. Pain in the butt loading alone. I raised the center keel roller just a bit, and this made it stick to the trailer a bit better.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

My boat rolls off the trailer like some rich lady just broke a bottle of champagne over the bow. A trick I learned from Moreyes….take your “leash” rope and throw a couple of turns around the winch post. Then unhook the safety chain and winch strap. Ease a little slack into the leash and she rolls off nice and slow.

Rootski

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Those bass guys know all the tricks.

Aaron

If you think that it comes off to easy and there are a front and back set of rollers. I would think of taking off the front set completely. My 18′ pro-v trailer only had a set of rollers in the back it worked good, I always unhooked everything and had my partner back me into the water, hit the brakes and off comes the boat. Other suggestion would be to replace the front set of rollers with two of the really short bunk supports. This may hold it on there better.

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

This is what I did. Put a metal cleat on the front of the boat. Tie a rope to the trailer. When trailer is in water unhook safety chain and winch. Get in boat untie rope and you are off.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Every boat should have one of those cleats in the front. Great for anchoring to.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Like Joel mentioned, tie a rope off the bow eye, then add a cleat to your winch post. With a couple of wraps around the cleat, now the hull is held while you take the safety chain and strap off.

This also works for putting the boat back on, pull the boat on to the rollers, hold it with the bow rope and cleat, attach the winch strap, and crank ‘er up.

HRG

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

Great for anchoring to.

Yes it is.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

What I have done to my roller trailer is pull the pin on the first keel roller closest to the winch and install a bolt. Tighten it just enough to tighten up the roller and doesn’t turn so easily. My 182 will stay put loading except on the steepest ramps unloading needs a push to get her off still want to leave the winch hooked up thou.

red89
    Hudson

Quote:

This is the first roller trailer I have owned and hate it so far. Boat is a Mr. Pike 1775 and when launching I always have to jump in and start motor, then put it in gear to launch, pain in the arse compared to previous bunk trailers I have owned…

What am I doing wrong? Can the rollers be adjusted so they don’t roll so easy? I dont see why roller trailers are so popular…

Can someone tell me how this is different than if you have a bunk trailer? I really don’t get it.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

Can someone tell me how this is different than if you have a bunk trailer? I really don’t get it.

Roller trailers have rollers that the boat sits on. They spin easily when loading or unloading the boat.

Bunk trailers usually have carpeted rails that the boat sits on.

When you back a roller trailer down a ramped surface, like a boat launch, and unhook the boat, it rolls off whether you want it to or not. That’s why those of us with roller trailers never unhook the boat until its in the water.

When you back a bunk trailer down a ramped surface, like a boat launch, it generally doesn’t slide off unless the ramp is very steep. Most of the time, you have to float the boat or push it off of a bunk trailer. You can unhook the boat from the trailer before you back it into the water and 99% of the time, the boat isn’t going anywhere. This is not true with a roller trailer.

If you unhook a boat from a roller trailer before you back it into the water, you’re most likely going to have a boat sitting on the launch ramp instead of in the water.

Does that help?

EWerner

Quote:

2X. Really like my Shorelander with rollers just a simple shove and it is off the trailer. Don’t need to completely float the boat before launching which is great for shallow landings.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Quote:

2X. Really like my Shorelander with rollers just a simple shove and it is off the trailer. Don’t need to completely float the boat before launching which is great for shallow landings.

Like was said before this is a very bad idea NEVER UNHOOK THE SAFETY CHAIN BEFORE THE BOAT IS IN THE WATER.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree! Never unhook that safety chain until your ready to dump the boat in the water.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

I agree with Steve. A roller trailer is made to make it easy to slide the boat off with little effort. Modifying the trailer could result in a bad experience on the access. I have helped more than one person lift their boat off the ramp and back onto the trailer, because of unhooking chains or winch straps. It is best just to take your time and load and unload your boat safely without risk. Questionable unloading tactics is not worth the potential damage you could cause to your boat or motor.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

On my brothers trailer it has rollers and 2 bunk pads in the back they seem to help stick the boat on.

Haven’t launched to many roller trailers but for me it is key to sink them deep if not the crank might smack ya.

riverruns
    Inactive

Back in a little deeper un-loading and don’t back in as far when you are loading the boat on the trailer.

Easy to un-load and load!

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

I have a Shorelander roller trailer with a 1750 Crestliner Fishhawk on it. I used to have this same problem. A friend of mine had the same setup as mine , but never had this problem. After talking to him we came to the conclusion that the only difference is he had mid trailer bunks mounted on his trailer. I went to a Shorelander dealer and got a set for about $50. Man, what a difference. They create just enough resistance to prevent the boat from rolling off the the trailer until you give it a push. Also centers up the front of the boat when you drive the boat back on the trailer. I always had to fight to get the boat centered on the trailer. Not any more!!!. Can now easily launch & retrailer my boat by myself wothout any hastles. I will take a picture of them when I get home and post it later today.

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Here are the pictures of my shorelander mid trailer bunks. They are about 6″ x 12″. They work pretty slick. Center up the boat while loading and prevent the boat fro rolling off the trailer while launching.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.