Any Shroomers out there?

• TJ
    Hammond, WI

No, I’m not talking about the kind that make you see funny things…I’m talking morels. Anybody around the metro area/western WI been finding any. I’m thinking with all this rain, the next week or so should be good? Maybe I’m already to late and missed the boat? Any report?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I found 6 greys and 1 yellow yesterday near La Crosse. I believe its still early down here. If the rains subside today I may run out and see if those 7 got any bigger and if they have any friends.

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

Found 6 nice yellows yesterday while on a walk (not looking for them) with my wife. I think they’re popping up now.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

In a few spots down here near Lebanon, I picked a walmart plastic bag full on Friday. Heading back out this afternoon. Had both little greys and golds that just came up.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Checked a spot on pool 2 yesterday and found nothing. Well did find some walleyes but no shrooms.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

No shrooms, but asparagus is booming

scott-k
    Red Wing

Found several short grays they were maybe three quarters of an inch out of the ground…
    No yellows yet here in Red Wing

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I picked close to a pound today. Took a lot of digging through the foliage to find them. The impending rains should only enhance that problem…

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

My neighbor found about 2 pounds of 3″ wide and 5″ tall yellows close by here two days ago.
    I went over to my friends house late this afternoon and he found two grocery sacks of greys by Elkader Iowa yesterday which is about 50 miles south of Lansing and the New Albin area, He didn’t find any yellows, just greys.

Me neighbor is a very avid spring and fall mushroom hunter and I asked if he found any that were drying, he said no and all he had were very fresh, 5 too 6 days at most. He said we have another 1 1/2 too 2 weeks for the yellows here.

For the next two weeks the Iowa Minnesota border should be prime and just starting to get decent from the border to the Rochester area, good luck. I’ve heard reports of some very decent finds of both greys and yellows locally the last week around here.

BBKK
    IA

Been wanting to get out but just havent made it! Might head out tomorrow if the sun shines.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Found some before work this morning. Picked about 40 for dinner but they were small. Left the tiny ones to grow.

Twin cities.

Aquaholic
    WI

Dang those look good. Wish I could find the darn things. Never have had much luck.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

What is the best way to find these tasty mushrooms?

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

What is the best way to find these tasty mushrooms?

…. …Hunt for dead ELM trees. When you find a dead elm or elms then start looking for morals. …rrr

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Its a good place to start Randy. Down here yesterday I found one that was 6″ tall out in the open grass that was a foot high. Found about 1/2 lb. more of nice sized yellows under box alder trees. Going to go again here in about an hour to another spot close by. Like Randy said elms are a good place to start. The green ground moss is also another good place to look, found these on the north side of small hills growing from the green moist moss.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Do you guys in Iowa have ticks? Shrooming here is a very ticky exercise usually.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Alot of ticks, yesterday I had 4 on me.

I heard a story today that happened just a few days ago from a guy who works at Menards while I was buying materials. A lady was walking her dog at a park just outside of town just a few days ago. She was walking through the timber and walked through a fresh hatch of ticks on some of the immediate plants, he called it a tick nest, never heard of one but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

She had so many ticks on her that the DNR workers that worked there had to help her take the ticks off and from what this guy told me, by the hundreds. She had to completely undress herself and they found ticks on every part of her body, I asked if there was a female officer present that helped her and he said he didn’t know. He said she was covered from head to toe with hundreds of ticks. Some years are worse then others but its been awhile since I’ve gotten 4 on me in about an hours time, so I think thier pretty bad this year. I don’t want to mention the park but I’ve been there shrooming many times.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.