Question for CNC machining guys

• 140-zuki
    Cokato, MN

My company is looking at a Feeler VMC with a Fanuc controller. Anyone have any experience with these machines? It is going to be a brand new machine not someone else’s junk like what we got with our last one. Will be used mostly for tool and die work for metal stamping with some light production stuff.

milemark_714

I worked on machines like these.Most likely it is a knock-off of another brand,and nothing fancy.3-axis with Fanuc OM control.Femco and Johnford are similar VMCs,only problems were the ball screws did not hold up for long with semi-abuse.

But for the money and warranty,you can’t go wrong.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I’ve worked on CNC machines for the past 30 years.
    Can’t say I’ve ever heard of a Feeler though.

Big G – I program, setup and run a 5-axis Haas. It’s a little different than the one in the link you posted but basically does the same thing.
    Pretty cool video of the Haas though. Thanks for posting that. I always get a kick out of a machine tool tear the snot out of a block of metal.

big_g
    Isle, MN

When I was in manufacturing, I could watch them things for hours… Them and the Mazak Laser

wannaplay

Quote:

watch here

Good ole American Inginutiy….or at least western world…

so precise, yet so messy.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

My company is looking at a Feeler VMC with a Fanuc controller. Anyone have any experience with these machines? It is going to be a brand new machine not someone else’s junk like what we got with our last one. Will be used mostly for tool and die work for metal stamping with some light production stuff.

If you have any sway in what brand you go with, look at Haas.

Great machine for the money. Good service from the local dealer too.(Productivivty inc)

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

If you have any sway in what brand you go with, look at Haas.

Great machine for the money. Good service from the local dealer too.(Productivivty inc)

X2 on that!

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

I have been a machinist for over 40 years and have never heard of that brand of machine tool. Like the others have said go with a well known brand like Haas.

This is a pretty cool video of a V-8 being machined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsmiIeAkE-o

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m so jealous of you guys. I would love to have your skills. I can just imagine sitting watching a hunk of metal becoming something useful.

140-zuki
    Cokato, MN

Feeler is part of the Kitimura group. I don’t really have a say in what we get cuz I am not the guy writing the check. All these machines now are very good. It’ll be head and shoulders better than the ’93 Mori Seiki we are replacing.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

watch here

wow, it machines that aluminum block like butter! oh wait, all machines can machine aluminum like butter. i run more sfm & ipm in stainless than they are running in that aluminum. I run 1187sfm, 100 ipm, .2 axial cut, .6 doc, dry, with a stubby half inch variable flute endmill in stainless all day. this video here is impressive…. http://youtu.be/E3AqIZURMbI

as for haas, i agree it would be a good fit for your needs. we chose hurco over the haas when we purchased a new mill 3 years ago, mainly because of the price. hurco is no slouch either, but neither the hurco or haas will compare to some of the high production mills like matsuura

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

I’m so jealous of you guys. I would love to have your skills. I can just imagine sitting watching a hunk of metal becoming something useful.

machining can be awesome, especially when you have the freedom to work outside the box. take for example some nylon washers we had to make for our prototype chains. we had to drill, bore, face, part off, bar pull, and catch the parts, all in the meantime of trying to keep the parts and stringy chips separated. So we built a tool to do everything, so we saved alot of time by not having to rotate the turret for other tooling, as well as time for sorting. our tool

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Quote:

as for haas, i agree it would be a good fit for your needs. we chose hurco over the haas when we purchased a new mill 3 years ago, mainly because of the price. hurco is no slouch either, but neither the hurco or haas will compare to some of the high production mills like matsuura

We have several Hurco’s here at 3M. Nice machine outstanding control, easy to MDI program, but horrible service from the company that sells them.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.