Embarrassing Pool 4 Report

• tbrooks11

Fished the Red Wing dam area for a few hours this afternoon with nothing to show for it. Fished from 11-430 without a bite. Dont get me wrong, neither of us had any idea what we were doing out there, but we figured we could get something to bite! We used small jigs tipped with either a minnow or moxi and couldnt seem to find any active fish. We fished anywhere from 3 to about 31 feet and couldnt find much. Depth finder barely worked and we dont have a trolling motor so that certainly didnt help our chances. Didnt seem like many others were catching anything around us either. We saw 1 20 or so inch eye and a decent looking pike get pulled out of the water, and maybe a few tiny eyes/saugers but nothing much outside of those few fish. I studied James’ video and tried to do everything he did, but must not have done a very good job. Oh well, worth a shot and it was nice to get out on the water again!

Goodluck to everyone competing in the Tourney tomorrow. A few tips afterwards wouldnt hurt

CPRbigeyes
    Iowa

Get away from the dam! We found active fish up and down the river on Monday and Tuesday and we didn’t have to fish with many other boats!

tbrooks11

Yeah thats what someone else said at Everts after we were done.. bummer! wish i could get back over there!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Thanks for the honest report and good effort! The learning curve will come…and so will the fish.

mar-80
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Don’t be emabarassed. I am new to pool 4 also. I have been there 4 times now and learning more everytime out, that doesn’t mean I catch more fish though. I was out yesterday and today for a total of 21 hours in the boat. we did alright, but still have a lot to learn. Good advice to stay a way from the dam. It’s good fishing but there is good fishing in other areas to. Try new spots and try not to get in a pattern of only fishing one area. Good luck.

tbrooks11

Once im older and own my own boat and have a little more time i will certainly be venturing out and about a little more.. just only get to fish the dam once year during spring break so its tough to not go where the crowds are. Oh well, my time will come! thanks for the help though guys!

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

dont let the lack of electronics get you down. I had other boaters even laughing at me at one point when I was struggling to get my old 6hp motor started, but the laughers hardly got anything and I managed 2 keepers and no doinks with plenty of bit in half plastics

tbrooks11

Haha im glad you showed them up! My electronics never seem to work, wish i could afford something halfway decent

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

the only real electronics need I see are lights and a trolling motor for slower speeds. I just let the wind do the work today and slowly drift us upstream.

tbrooks11

Yeah trolling motors have become SO important. Did you mount your trolling motor on the back of the boat or the front? if on the back, how much is the mount?

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

Being able to have reliable boat control at slow speeds around people or shore is what was ablel to make my day Great today.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Yeah trolling motors have become SO important. Did you mount your trolling motor on the back of the boat or the front? if on the back, how much is the mount?

I’ve got a 55lb minnkota 3x you could have for like 75$ I moved up to a 80lb 24v maxximum and have no use for the transom mount any longer. Let me know.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.