Is it just me or…?

• bullcans
    Northfield MN

Do Saugers seem to have a “dirtier” taste to them than Walleyes out of P4 or anywhere else in general?

BBKK
    IA

Just you

c_hof
    New Richmond, WI

I can’t tell the difference.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I can’t tell the difference and I have done a taste test with a few guys in the past and none of them could tell tell which was witch.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Clean all the “red” flesh between the skin and the flesh along with taking out the lateral line and you’ll be surprised at the taste difference.

Oh Crap!

I forgot, now I’ll be getting pms from all the locals. Let me change that to…

All river fish taste terrible! Don’t eat them.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

You’re getting Sauger and White bass mixed up BK…

There is no red meat on Sauger… but they taste HORRIBLE!!!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Coming from a guy that only catches and releases walleye.

And he only eats the cheeks too.

Don’t put those two together.

TD Ramrod
    Menomonie, WI

I think at times they have a muddy taste but that is just me!

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

Warm beer

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

The same conversation has come up before with mixed thoughts as well. I’ve talked to others that had the same feeling when on pool 9 as well.

I tend to bleed either out if I am keeping fish. Not sure it helps… but I do it either way. Meat sure is much more white…. when done. You can tell filets apart, if one is done and the other is from a fish that wasn’t.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Quote:

Clean all the “red” flesh between the skin and the flesh along with taking out the lateral line and you’ll be surprised at the taste difference.

Removing ALL read meat is a must. A sauger grows slower than a walleye, therefore they tend to have more of that taste to them.

Chris H

Quote:

x2

I have heard others refer to it as the “mud line”.. I always cut it out.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Quote:

Warm beer

Sorry Grumpy, Warm beer makes me hurl!

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Quote:

Quote:

x2
    That must be where i am screwing up!

thx for the advice

I have heard others refer to it as the “mud line”.. I always cut it out.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

..CLEAN them RIGHT and FIX them RIGHT they rrr all GOOD. …rrr

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

You’re getting Sauger and White bass mixed up BK…

There is no red meat on Sauger… but they taste HORRIBLE!!!

There is a lot of red meat on saugers here. Have to cut it off on all predator fish. Bass, walleye, sauger, catfish, northern, etc.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

zippering them really helps and it is such a neat trick to boot! I do it on all walleyes and saugers regardless of where they are caught. Just google it! It is sooooo easy.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Oh Crap!

This coming from a guy who eat’s, I mean catches catfish…And Spam! Are you really going to take his advise?

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I agree….not so much on the sauger thing. I believe the fish from the Mississippi have a muddy taste compared to fish from a lake. I can tell a difference unless soaked in milk over night.

philput
    Knoxville, IL.

Quote:

Oh Crap!
    LOL!
    X2!
    Laterals have got to go!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

zippering them really helps and it is such a neat trick to boot! I do it on all walleyes and saugers regardless of where they are caught. Just google it! It is sooooo easy.

I’ve been doing this too. The fish always tastes great. Also, slit their throat while they’re still alive to bleed them out. You get the whitest fillets you’ve ever seen.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Seems like a lot of wasted meat to me. I don’t understand it. Do people ever say they don’t eat steak because it tastes to beefy? Or cowy?

Everyone send your zippered pieces to me so I can have fish sticks always on hand!

I’d say soaking them in milk over night and bleeding them is a better choice IMHO.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

My friend swears you can fillet walleye and drum and no one can tell them apart.

igotone

Quote:

I agree….not so much on the sauger thing. I believe the fish from the Mississippi have a muddy taste compared to fish from a lake. I can tell a difference unless soaked in milk over night.

X 2 on milk – whole milk
    and breed your fish be 4 they die

pantherpop
    Kalispell, MT

Quote:

Quote:

X 2 on milk – whole milk
    and breed your fish be 4 they die

breed your fish be 4 they die

Don’t that make them smell fishy?

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Seems like a lot of wasted meat to me. I don’t understand it. Do people ever say they don’t eat steak because it tastes to beefy? Or cowy?

Everyone send your zippered pieces to me so I can have fish sticks always on hand!

I’d say soaking them in milk over night and bleeding them is a better choice IMHO.

LOL you like eating bones? The zipper is all bones that should be removed. I’ll send you all my walleye zippers and rib cages if you want.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

For crying out loud…..cut the lateral line in a “V” cut so you don’t lose all that meat underneath. Bleeding the fish is definitely beneficial. Just do it!

As for walleye and drum….. I’ve hosted fish feeds and always have a variety of fish in them. I simply tell everyone that if they find a piece that doesn’t taste good or if it even tastes just a little unpleasant, to bring it to me for examination and discard. I have yet to have ANYTHING come back!

The trick is in the preparation. I cook drum, white bass, bullhead, catfish….. all along with sunnies, crappies, bass, walleye, perch, and pike. I don’t always have all species present when I host a feed but this is the list of fish I’ll use.

Drum….. it’s all in your paradigm. I’d rather eat that than “Tilapia” any day!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.