Lake Winnipeg……….back in the day!

• norge

Not fishing, but thought some of you might enjoy this. January of 1985 pre GPS days crossing Lake Winnipeg by dog team. From Berens River to Grand Rapids, Manitoba. A compass heading of 278 degrees as I recall. Almost 100 miles across, Spent a night on the ice. Scooped up a bunch of Mariah (ling) about 8 miles out from Grand Rapids. They were left behind by the local fisherman as there was no market for them. Fed dogs a nice fish stew that night late in Grand Rapids. The provincial police hosted us that night, generously giving us a warm place to sleep and a meal. Temps were minus 35 to 40 at night. Lots of those pressure ridges to negotiate. No angling for me on that trip. I will return one day and fix that!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That does not look like fun. Hope there wasnt a lot of those ice ridges for you guys to go through. Great photo.

jerry b
    western WI

Looks a lot like a young man’s sport. Great story Lloyd, thanks for sharing jerr

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

FYI: Lake Winnipeg is one of the northern freshwater lakes under study for recent huge algae blooms that stack up on the north end like shore ice at Garrison. Canada is proposing shutting down its freshwater institute that watches these kind of things–some would have it over oil shale politics.

The two Minnesota college kids who retraced a few years ago Eric Severeid and Walter Port’s epic 1930s canoe voyage to Hudson bay reported algae so thick they could scarcely paddle on that part of the big winnie.

norge

Thanks for the info pdl. Be nice to see some links to the info you refer to. Among my favorite adventure books was CANOEING WITH THE CREE. I have had the pleasure of doing some long canoe trips as well as sled dog trips in the far north.
    Been able to “Sled with the Cree” in the village of Cross Lake, Manitoba at their race. That is a bit Northeast of L. Winnipeg. Wonderful people working hard to take care of the land in the midst of the oil and mineral boom!
    Thanks again!
    Lloyd

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

You must be one tough S.O.B. to do that trip! Looks to be quite the adventure and I’m sure you will be telling the grand kids stories for years to come!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Thanks for the info pdl. Be nice to see some links to the info you refer to. Among my favorite adventure books was CANOEING WITH THE CREE. I have had the pleasure of doing some long canoe trips as well as sled dog trips in the far north. Lloyd

Lloyd, I’m a big fan of Canadian far north adventure and exploration books.

Very interesting to hear of your adventures.

Grouse

norge

Hey Grouse, You may have already done some reading about Samuel Hearne. If not do a search and you will find some great stuff. I just returned from Yellowknife late Thursday night. I was at a sled dog face there. Although I have retired from racing I hooked a ride up with some friends and helped them at the race. The cultural center there has a bit about Chief Matonabee, the Chipewyan who was Samuel Hearne’s guide for his search of the Northwest Passage. It is a fabulous story, and a true one!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.