Great Alma Float

• tbrooks11

This saturday a few buddies and I are gonna hop on the Float for $16. Tomorrow is the opener for the float, so being the first saturday of the season, im going to assume there will be a lot of people on there. Anybody have any experiences to take away from their past times on the float? Or any ideas/tips? Never been on it and havent heard too much about it on here!

Thanks,
    Trav

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Years ago ,we used to good off that float,a multi species location, of course we were targeting Walleye but I have never fished the opener on the float.

Good luck and let us know how you did

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

rreat place to fish. should be a fun opener. the actual fishing is only part of the experiance. with the cafe and the camraderie amongst the anglers and tim and jim you should have a have a good time. 21 yrs ago today my wife and I spent the first day of our honeymoon catching huge perch on the float.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

I have fished the Alma Float for several years (25+) I have had varying amounts of success, the best being March/April/May. We went for the opener last year, and caught several nice 3-7 pound northerns on suckers & shiners on a three-way rig. On our jigging poles, we caught some of the nicest perch I saw all year. (One fellow wanted us to measure his….15+ inches! My one fishing buddy caught and released a 4 pound+ smallmouth. We arrived about 8:30 and fished until 2:30. It was cold, so be prepared. It seems like there is always wind, so be prepared. I bring a bus load of school kids from Goodhue down each May. There are always those who get skunked, but the real fishermen always catch something. It is not uncommon to catch or see 10-15 different kinds of fish caught in a normal day. They have a small cafe/eating joint where you can get breakfast or lunch pancakes, eggs, burgers, fries, onion rings, coffe, pop, milk….any time. And the price is not bad. Tim &Jim Lodermeier have been the owners for about 25 years. If you know absolutely nothing about fishing, they can help you figure things out. If you want to be left alone, they will do that too. They also have bait & tackle out there. Opens at 6 closes at 6. You can even spend the night if you want. Checkout ‘Alma Fishing Float’ on the web if I haven’t answered your questions. Oh, Tim & Jim are former students of mine, you will notice the classy attitudes when you meet them. Enjoy!

renrut
    wisconsin

i have only fished it in the fall , late fall a week or the day before they close. and we as well enjoyed and caught a nice stringer of Walleye & Sauger. Lets us know how you do.

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

I heard it was up for sale???? Retiring?

tenchi

I use to fish there a lot from opener all the way to mid july. Never did too good on opener…its better after a few weekend. Or as it warm up. The only downfall about earlie season is that there are too many people and only a few good spot to fish. Not that u can’t fish but the best spot would be near shore. So if u aren’t that first few its really pointless…but again fishing is fishing…not catching…I would head out mid week to get a better hit at it…

bianchi96
    Gateway to Whitewater

I have always found it funny when people refer to opener on the river..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.