NOT ALL THIEVES ARE STUPID!

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Got this in an email and thought I would share it here, something to think about

Be sure you read this! Pass it on to friends and family.

1. Some people left their car in the long-term parking at San Jose while away, and someone broke into the car. Using the information on the car’s registration in the glove compartment, they drove the car to the people’s home in Pebble Beach and robbed it. So I guess if we are going to leave the car in long-term parking, we should NOT leave the registration/insurance cards in it, nor your remote garage door opener.

This gives us something to think about with all our new electronic technology.

2. GPS.

Someone had their car broken into while they were at a football game. Their car was parked on the green which was adjacent to the football stadium and specially allotted to football fans. Things stolen from the car included a garage door remote control, some money and a GPS which had been prominently mounted on the dashboard. When the victims got home, they found that their house had been ransacked and just about everything worth anything had been stolen. The thieves had used the GPS to guide them to the house. They then used the garage remote control to open the garage door and gain entry to the house. The thieves knew the owners were at the football game, they knew what time the game was scheduled to finish and so they knew how much time they had to clean out the house. It would appear that they had brought a truck to empty the house of its contents.

Something to consider if you have a GPS – don’t put your home address in it… Put a nearby address (like a store or gas station) so you can still find your way home if you need to, but no one else would know where you live if your GPS were stolen.

3. CELL PHONES

I never thought of this…….

This lady has now changed her habit of how she lists her names on her cell phone after her handbag was stolen. Her handbag, which contained her cell phone, credit card, wallet, etc., was stolen. 20 minutes later when she called her hubby, from a pay phone telling him what had happened, hubby says ‘I received your text asking about our Pin number and I’ve replied a little while ago.’ When they rushed down to the bank, the bank staff told them all the money was already withdrawn. The thief had actually used the stolen cell phone to text ‘hubby’ in the contact list and got hold of the pin number. Within 20 minutes he had withdrawn all the money from their bank account.

Moral of the lesson:

a. Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your contact list. Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, Sweetheart, Dad, Mom, etc….

b. And very importantly, when sensitive info is being asked through texts, CONFIRM by calling back.

c. Also, when you’re being texted by friends or family to meet them somewhere, be sure to call back to confirm that the message came from them. If you don’t reach them, be very careful about going places to meet ‘family and friends’ who text you.

As of now, I no longer have ‘home’ listed on my cell phone.

castle-rock-clown

The cop shop is pretty close to where I live, never thought of calling it home though…

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Add in the obituaries too. Everyone at the funeral leaves the house empty.

-J.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

Something to consider if you have a GPS – don’t put your home address in it… Put a nearby address (like a store or gas station) so you can still find your way home if you need to, but no one else would know where you live if your GPS were stolen.

Who doesn’t know how to get home? If you need to put your home address into your GPS to figure out how to get back, you have much bigger problems than worrying about getting robbed.

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

You might know how to get home if you are in the area but when I was in Chicago, 5 hrs. away and I wanted the fastest way home, it helped me get on the tollways and headed the right direction. Got to look at the big picture.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Great idea’s. I know what im doing this weekend!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Got to look at the big picture.

Or a map

Sorry…I’m an old truck driver (before GPS)

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

You might know how to get home if you are in the area but when I was in Chicago, 5 hrs. away and I wanted the fastest way home, it helped me get on the tollways and headed the right direction. Got to look at the big picture.

X2

Sharon
    SE Metro

Seriously? Are people that dumb? Who lists their cell phone contacts by relation? I’d never list “hubby” as a contact. He has a name. And if my husband got a random text from me asking for something as confidential as a PIN number, he’d call me to verify the authenticity of the text. That seems like common sense.

It’s a kind of pointless to put a nearby location into your GPS rather than your actual home. Any robber (doesn’t even have to be a clever one) can break into a car, find the insurance card with your address on it and punch it into either your GPS you “hid” in the glove box or their phone’s GPS, which many people have these days.

#2 says “they then used the garage remote control to open the garage door and gain entry to the house”. Why the @#%$ wasn’t the door to the house locked? Locks are there for a reason. Use them.

My advice? Keep your eyes open and keep locks locked. Get to know your neighbors and their vehicles. No one can be home all the time and no one is completely safe from crimes, but a friendly neighborhood with watchful eyes can be a great help.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Anybody messes with Sharon, they’ll have to deal with me

Signed Sharon’s Dad…err….Rootski

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

Even if you lock your door going in from the garage it wouldnt be hard to close the garage door and knock your door down. If you know you have all the time in the world and no one inside to hear you…

Sharon
    SE Metro

Fortunately, I’ll always opt for a detached garage.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Locks are there for a reason. Use them.

Sharon you need to talk to my FW and FD! When I close the door my hand goes into “auto lock”. I don’t even realize I’m locking it. Sometimes when the FW is sitting on the deck outside.

Those two? Not so much, and they get mad at me for locking the door.

“Door’s locked…Dads home”.

john_h
    Hastings, MN

Want to have fun… just list your nastiest neigbor has “home”.

Just kidding…

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Good info. Locks keep honest people honest. After working in LE for 35 yrs. in a Crime Lab., I investigated thousands of breakin and vehicle thefts. A pair of channel locks and a small pry bar will just about get you into any vehilce or building. Best advise, keep money, guns and other valuables locked up and out of sight. When you park your car, don’t leave anything in plain sight. I am guilty, I leave my GPS mount sitting on the dash of my truck. Not to hard to figure out that there is a GPS some where in the truck. That is going to change!!

Sharon
    SE Metro

Brian, I have the same problem! I’m always locking doors and sometimes I lock my FH out when he was right behind me. It’s automatic, you know. We just can’t control it!

BBKK
    IA

Some good info in this thread!

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

Think I will put the anti gun neighbors address in my GPS as my home address.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Thieves have been doing this for decades, way before the electronic devices. Back then it was called “casing” and much more effective… just because your car is at the game, does not guarantee there isn’t anybody else at home… Garage doors are a sorry attempt at keeping a thief out, a can opener and a 5″ hole at the top, pull the red release string, your in.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.