Smart phone

• hamms
    Mn

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and have noticed the battery life getting poor lately. This phone isn’t very old. Bought last fall. I have no apps running and it is on power save mode. I took it off the charger at 6:30 this morning and it is at 90% already. Seems like something is going on. I will say I downloaded the Zello walkie talkie app a few days ago and that will really zap your battery, That is also when I noticed the batt life going bad,But if the app is off I would think it wouldn’t affect it. any ideas?

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Turn all your location settings off. There should be 3 of em at least there is with jelly bean os. This will give you 40% more battery life. Secondly, keep your mobile network off as much as you can. Just turn it on when you need to check fb, e mail etc. This should get you throughout the day.

hamms
    Mn

Which location settings are you referring to? Thanks for the help. I really like this phone and fairlt new to the smart phone thing…

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

My phone is getting old and I could never make a full day with a charge. I just turned my backlight from 100% to about 75% that has made a big different for me too. It’s harder to see if you are outside but fine if you are indoors all day.

hamms
    Mn

I found it thanks for the help. It must come on when using Zello app. Thanks

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Make sure the GPS and WiFi are turned off when not using them also. Both are battery hogs.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

I have the same phone, 1 1/2 years old.
    Follow the other advice here and every few days, Power Down and wait a few minutes, then Power it back up.

This cleans any other invisible apps from memory.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Technically, the OS should handle everything. That being said there are poorly written apps and other things that can drain a battery. I restart the phone once in a blue moon to help start from scratch.

You can kill all the background apps in various ways, but those background apps are paused and not doing anything. There are apps that will periodically call the GPS or access the network like weather apps for instance. Most can be changed in the settings.

Then there are apps like the stock Google Maps and the Navionics app which will repeatedly call your GPS in the background, despite being paused.

Trent W
    Chatfield, MN

If on Verizon you can try updating your roaming. Dial *228 then hit send or talk. At the prompt, select option #2. After a couple minutes, your phone will re-boot and you’re done. I do this whenever I notice the battery running down faster than normal. If you’ve never done this, you will notice an improvement. Not sure about other companies, but this is the Verizon procedure that works on all phones…Smart or Dumb ones.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

If on Verizon you can try updating your roaming. Dial *228 then hit send or talk. At the prompt, select option #2. After a couple minutes, your phone will re-boot and you’re done. I do this whenever I notice the battery running down faster than normal. If you’ve never done this, you will notice an improvement. Not sure about other companies, but this is the Verizon procedure that works on all phones…Smart or Dumb ones.

This only applies to 3G Verizon phones. If 4G, just power off and power back on to force any updates.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

If it is a 4G phone you will not be able to do the *228, they update automatically.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Roaming eats the battery up?

hop307
    Northern Todd County

Another thing to try is to hold the home button for 1-2sec it should bring up a list of apps that are running in the background, then you can just swipe to the left or right to kill the apps that are running in the background.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Another thing to try is to hold the home button for 1-2sec it should bring up a list of apps that are running in the background, then you can just swipe to the left or right to kill the apps that are running in the background.

I don’t know if that is the way to do it on all versions of Android though. I’ve had 4.0 so long, I don’t remember.

prieser
    Byron, MN

Just picked up the Motorola HD Android (not the Maxx HD either) Use my phone ALL DAY long. 4th day into it. GPS – ON / Wi-Fi – Auto ON. I average 40-50 phone calls a day, emails, texting etc, etc. Unplugged it at 7:00 am this morning and still at 52% at 4:45. My old Samsung would have been dead already with out a charge. I have tried to drain it too, left off cord yesterday until 10:45 pm and still had 27% when I finally went to bed. So Far, So Good.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The GPS can be left “on”. But is it actually starting up? An app has to ask for a location for it to turn on.

That being said, that is some nice battery life!

prieser
    Byron, MN

Yeah, it only works when asked (like maps and such)

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve had days where I turn on maps for traffic. Get home and forget about it and the next thing you know, she be drained.

Navionics is an app that unless you exit it or kill it will keep pinging the GPS constantly. I imagine that is by design, but I always either have to have it plugged in on a boat or make sure I exit. Apps normally should cancel GPS requested when moved to the background.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

Roaming eats the battery up?

Yes and it is a big time chew. Since the phone is not on your provider’s towers the phone is constantly looking for your provider’s towers in the hope that it can connect with one. Your provider does not want to pony up for shared tower usage if they don’t have to.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Makes sense.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.