Anoka Dam?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Anybody notice the snowmobile track going over the Anoka dam? Must of been a heck of a ride. Didnt see any wreckage below today. Looks kinda odd. One lone track going right over the dam.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Is it possible the ice came down from upriver?

BBKK
    IA

Never seen the dam you guys are talking about, but it has me curious. what type of dam is it?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Anoka Dam

BBKK
    IA

Okay so its a spillway type? Would take some balls for sure.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

It was on the news the other day. Some younger kid drove the snowmobile off of it at night. Pretty serious injuries but he’s alive.

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

In the water for 24 minutes with a broken back, he better thank God he made it out!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Wow. That had to have been a heck of a ride. Lots of tracks circling just up river of the dam and then there is one lone track that leaves the others and goes right over. Glad he is still alive.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

On a side note, since we got that resolved. Almost 20 years ago a rented the basement of this cool older gentleman upstream from the dam. I believe it was the first house on the west side. I regret not fishing it more than I did.

I did learn a couple things though.

It is fun catching carp on light line by slowly reeling a jig in on the sandy bottom. Very slowly.

I also learned never try and retrieve you line in a snag when what you think is a big fish buries himself in a bush. It might turn out to be a large snapping turtle.

One more thing I learned. Never go fishing in a canoe with a pitcher of mixed booze with a guy who will swim directly to shore if it tips. He’ll end up leaving you to retrieve the canoe and gear and try to swim to shore with it all on your own.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Glad he survived. I use to drive over that bridge everyday and always wondered what it would be like to take a snowmobile off of the dam. I might have to drive by there tonight just to see what it looks like. We used to snowmobile all over the Rum and it always gave me an uneasy feeling.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Since we are now on Do’s and Dont’s for the Anoka Dam. Don’t anchor a canoe in front of one of the closed gates and start fishing. When the gate automatically opens, the flow wedges the anchor in a snag and starts to pull the bow under. Next Don’t, don’t cut the anchor rope without a plan. As soon as the rope is cut, it takes off downriver like a rocket – twirling end to end, with the guy in the front seat, screaming at the top of his voice “We are going to die, We are going to die”!

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Quote:

Glad he survived. I use to drive over that bridge everyday and always wondered what it would be like to take a snowmobile off of the dam. I might have to drive by there tonight just to see what it looks like. We used to snowmobile all over the Rum and it always gave me an uneasy feeling.

I don’t think it’s worth a try unless nose diving your sled into cement chunks rocks and logs is what your into lol

walleyetom1
    Illinois

Quote:

Since we are now on Do’s and Dont’s for the Anoka Dam. Don’t anchor a canoe in front of one of the closed gates and start fishing. When the gate automatically opens, the flow wedges the anchor in a snag and starts to pull the bow under. Next Don’t, don’t cut the anchor rope without a plan. As soon as the rope is cut, it takes off downriver like a rocket – twirling end to end, with the guy in the front seat, screaming at the top of his voice “We are going to die, We are going to die”!

Now that really tickled me. Probably not funny at the time, but it made me laugh. Thanks

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.