Tuned Up Custom rods – guide type

• winterbite

I am looking at ordering a new ice rod from TUCR and would like some thoughts about the guides to order. I was going to go with the standard ceramic guides but after talking w/ Adam I am leaning towards the recoil guides. I am pushing my budget, so to me the $20 is a big deal but I would like to hear from others that have bought their rods. Thanks guys…

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Do you fish outside? If so, get the Recoils. 100 times easier to clear the guides of ice and they take longer for the ice to build up.

BBKK
    IA

I have a noodle with the standard guides. Works for me because I do not fish outside unless it is somewhat warm out. If its below mid 20’s I’m in a shanty. I have not had a problem with ice yet. The other day it was 20s and windy, I did have a little ice nipple grow on the tip but it never bothered me.

So if you don’t fish outside in the real cold, I’d say there is no need to spend the extra $20.

Next year I want to pick up a 36″ for hole hopping outside, and since it is too long to use inside the shanty I will be getting recoil guides so I can hop around in the real cold with it if needed.

toxic11

I have the noodle and the precision rod. I was skeptical about the recoil guides on my precision rod. But man do I love it now. I use it to fish outside the fish house, cuz ice doesn’t restrict the guides. Inside the shelter I use my dh custom walleye stinger. But the TUC rod is the cats pajamas. Just recently I was on the lake and boy did that rod get a work out. No issues whats so ever. Its actually pretty sensitive as well. I had few walleye come up and just barely pull on the line and I was able to notice the bite. No matter what guides you will go with the rod is great.

winterbite

I normally fish inside my permanent house on Mille Lacs and will venture out on the ice or in the Frabill during the day. I would say 75-85% of my fishing is in the house / Frabill thou. I just don’t want to kick myself down the road for not spending the extra $20…

MNEric90
    Shakopee, MN

I have three TUC rods now. 34″ & 36″ precision split grip and a 32″ noodle split grip. All of them have the recoil guides. I love the guides. They’re light weight which ups the sensitivity of the rod. Like others have said, ice up will happen but the recoils keeps it to a minimum.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

I normally fish inside my permanent house on Mille Lacs and will venture out on the ice or in the Frabill during the day. I would say 75-85% of my fishing is in the house / Frabill thou. I just don’t want to kick myself down the road for not spending the extra $20…

You will kick yourself at some point down the road, so get them now. You can buy a very nice rod off the shelf with ceramic guides for under $50 that you can use inside. If you are spending the money to get a custom rod, spend the extra and make sure you can use it in any situation you would like.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Quote:

You will kick yourself at some point down the road, so get them now. You can buy a very nice rod off the shelf with ceramic guides for under $50 that you can use inside. If you are spending the money to get a custom rod, spend the extra and make sure you can use it in any situation you would like.

I 100% agree, get the recoils. I have them on a TB Quiverstick and DH Al Dente and love them. If you aren’t getting the noodle rod you could always look at getting “outside” alconites and those will work good as well. I actually prefer the feel of the alconites on my Perch Sweetheart rod over the Recoils.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

In addition to what was said in previous post I will throw in storage and recoil guides. I have noticed in the Otter Box that the recoil guides are bent or moved out of alignment when stored. If I would have had standard guides I would be willing to bet they would be broken. So not only is the titianium guides great for ice removal also remember storage and how the eyes can move without breaking.

Spend the extra 20 bucks.

kderudder
    prior lake,mn

I would definitly go with the REC guides, the other nice thing about them is that they are a lot more forgiving when it comes to bending the guides a bit.

winterbite

Thanks guys for all the replies and your thoughts – done deal, recoil guides it is when I place the order!

fishon111
    Winnipeg,Mb

I have two TUCR’s, a power precision, and a precision, both 32″ with regular guides and I am very pleased with both. Until it really warm’s up I fish out of my Otter (just too cold up here), and I don’t know if I would change anything if I had a do over.

artifishal

Definitely made a good choice on the recoils, you won’t regret them

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.