Lead???

• Boone04
    Fountain city, WI

Was wondering if anybody makes there own jigs I am thinking of getting into it but where does a guy start to look for lead and whats a good price to pay for it? Thanks for any help

mikes-jigs
    Red Wing, MN

I don’t pour but know of people who do. I would look on crappie.com and go in their jig tying and lead head section. Then just post the same question there are a lot of knowledgeable people on that site.

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Many auto shops will have a bucket or two of old tire weights they will part with. Otherwise, there is a bunch of it on ebay pretty cheap.

cupspits

ebay for lead probably a hair over a dollar a pound is what i look for when buying hope this helps

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

You dont need to go anywhere else other than IDO for help, there are alot of members who pour jigs and such.

Try going to your local steel scrap yards and see if they have any lead, plumbers lead works best,medical lead is great too but hard to get ahold of.

I can give you alot of help on pouring/painting jigs and such ,but its easier to talk in person or over the phone , I dont type fast.

You have a PM

Jeff

BBKK
    IA

You can look around locally, ask any duck hunters you might know if they have any old decoy weights. On ebay, $1.50 a pound including shipping is a good deal. Make sure you are not getting wheel weight lead. Most of the time wheel weight lead is good, but sometimes you will get a seller that doesnt know about zinc and sells you a bunch of junk lead that is damn near unusable.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Wheelweight lead is ok for larger jigs and sinker. If you are going to cast jigs 1/16 or under, use pure lead.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Once your pot of lead is melted, stir in some Bee’s wax. This will help clean the lead and make it pour better.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Once your pot of lead is melted, stir in some Bee’s wax. This will help clean the lead and make it pour better.

Borax works even better and does not flame up.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I use a lot of junk lead just because I get it for free. I found running it at a higher temp will help separate SOME of the alloys in it. Skim it off and your good to go.
    We have a DIY group for guys that make their own tackle under “Groups” top left side of the page. join in and we have a lot of info in there. Between about a dozen of us, I can’t imagine there is a jig out there that we don’t make.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

4 oz lead head with a 10/0 hook embedded??

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Brian, I have a 20 oz and 14 oz mold you can borrow

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’ve given away 50lbs of pure cakes of plumbers lead in the last year. (They are 40 years old and got more.)

I’m thinking of doing my own pours now, molds and all.

Where do I need to head??

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

I’ve given away 50lbs of pure cakes of plumbers lead in the last year. (They are 40 years old and got more.)

I’m thinking of doing my own pours now, molds and all.

Where do I need to head??

Molds and pouring equipment I highly suggest Zeiners Bass Shop shop. They have an online store and are by far the cheapest on molds.

For hooks I recommend Captain Hooks

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.