Handguns

• Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

I know this post is going to seem timely because of all gun crap going on, but all that really has no influence on this.

Alright, so my wife and I have had several conversations over the past couple of years about purchasing a handgun for the house. I take many fishing trips throughout the course of year, and I have always been a little uneasy with leaving her home with no means to defend herself incase the situation arose. My wife is completely on board with purchasing a handgun and learning how to shoot it.

I have hunted my entire life and know my way around shotguns and rifles, but am completely handgun stupid. If I was going to purchase a gun simply for the means of home protection, what should I look for? I’m not looking to carry it around, ever. My wife will need to be able to handle it with ease. It won’t need to be top of line, just something economical. Any input is greatly appreciated.

-Drew

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Check out the Walther line of pistols. Economical in price. Accurate. Rliable.

Walther PPQ is a nice pistol.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Personally….with a handgun I couldn’t hit the river if I dropped it out of the boat. On the other hand, I have all the confidence in the world I could protect myself and my wife with my shotgun.

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

On the other hand, I have all the confidence in the world I could protect myself and my wife with my shotgun.

I don’t plan on keeping a loaded shotgun around, and the process of loading one could too technical in a stressful situation. I would imagine that popping a clip in a handgun should be a little more manageable under those circumstances.

joemama
    North St Paul

consider buying a dog

DrewH
    s/w WI.

See if her hands will fit a Glock 9 or 40.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

An unloaded gun isn’t much help in my opinion. For someone new to pistols a revolver is hard to beat.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

consider buying a dog

Good call. That barking will give you an extra few seconds to load the pistol. My dogs are awesome at protecting their tennis balls.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

An unloaded gun isn’t much help in my opinion. For someone new to pistols a revolver is hard to beat.

My thoughts exactly. Easy to load. No safety. Fits both left and right hand shooters. Pull trigger – always go bang.

-J.

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

consider buying a dog

Ok, smartass. I have two. Both labs. They would lick a strangers hand before they would bite it.

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

I had not considered a revolver. I like the thought process. What caliber(s) should I be focusing on? Keep in mind that my wife needs to be able to handle it with ease.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Personally….with a handgun I couldn’t hit the river if I dropped it out of the boat. On the other hand, I have all the confidence in the world I could protect myself and my wife with my shotgun.

This guy is right- I love shooting handguns, they are fun, but honestly in a home invasion type of a deal, it would be hard to beat a shotgun. Just as deadly, and very crafty if a lead is needed on a moving target.

Shoot a bunch of clays with her and she will probably get quicker at chambering one in the shotty, than reaching for a safespot and missing terribly with a handgun.

Just my opinion.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

purchasing a handgun and learning how to shoot it.

Drew that’s half the equation. Learning when to use it is the other half. Know the target before opening up on a noise behind a door or a shadow coming in a door.

Sounds pretty common sense, but it’s not when a person thinks they are in danger.

Bills Gunshop rents handguns. Might want to have her handle a few to see what fits her then shoot the final two or three. Some ladies can handle a .44mag while others should really stick with a dog. I don’t know your situation so that’s not being a smart azz.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

No matter your decision you are going want it in a safe that you have quick access to. They make a great home safe for shotguns that are designed for a home defense shotgun. I would recommend a shotgun for home defense. They make many great home defense models that are reaonable. No matter the gun it should be sucured. I know you said no shotguns but I would do some

Shotgun Safe

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

What ever you choose, why not keep some pepper spray too. It’s good to have options.

robby
    Quad Cities

Ditto the. 38! Revolver is the way to go.

Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

I would suggest you look at the Taurus Judge. It’s a revolver that is chambered as a .410 shotgun or a 45 colt. It comes in several variations and barrel lengths.

Not everyone is a handgun person. You may also consider an economical priced shotgun for home defense. Mossberg has several models to choose from including some” Blackwater” versions.

Regardless of what you choose for your home defense gun educate yourself with its function. Don’t sleep with it right next to your bed. When there is that “bump” in the night you need to wake up first and identify it BEFORE arming yourself. Give yourself a few steps to clear the “fog.”

I know when I am away… I have know problem sleeping, knowing all is safe and well protected at home.

rdwheeler
    Hudson WI

I have had a carry permit for over 4 years now, and have just recently started carrying 24/7 and now that I live not in a townhome in Woodbury, and actually am a bit secluded I have been working a ton with my wife on “gun safety” and to assume that every gun is loaded. I also have a 2 year old son so I have to be VERY careful with any gun in the house. But I do keep a Remington 870 Police edition directly next to my bed, I have shot this gun MANY times, and am very confident that if an intruder made it into my house I would have the nerves calm enough to rack it. And that noise alone should scare off anyone who has heard it before When it comes to handguns if I am carrying one on me it is chambered and ready, but at night if it was in my night stand or in the house I keep it unchambered or in the safe. I feel a handgun is much harder to chamber because of the size and the strength it takes to pull the slide back in a “situation”.

With that being said I obviously agree with the shotgun being my choice for home defense, but the BEST gun in the world to have when [censored] hits the fan is the one your carrying…

rdwheeler
    Hudson WI

Also if you are looking for a great home defense shotgun that is very affordable, and very maintenance free I have a Stevens 320 12 gauge I would sell you for very reasonable! Or trade for fishing gear

jslsfish4u
    Cold Spring,MN

X2 on “THE JUDGE”. Point and SHOOT. 3″ .410 self defense loads(discs and BB’s) .

weldon
    Rochester, Mn

I wasn’t even thinking about buying a gun, but now I guess I want one too…

drifter295
    Hastings MN

I commend you on you and your wife holding intelligent conversations on safety and handguns. Everyone has their own opinion on what is best for their own protection, here’s my .02 worth…
    Whatever you decide to purchase learn how to use it, styles, grips, actions and sizes vary alot, don’t just get something and let it sit idle, learn how it works, practice with it, become comfortable with it’s handling, operation and fire many rounds. Then and only then will it actually be a tool for protection and not just something you have in your home. Scaring someone may be a deterrent, but the one time you may be faced with a crisis involving your lives,
    center mass…repeat….repeat….repeat…repeat

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

Not many can handle the Judge. I would go somewhere and shoot before I would buy. I personally can handle it but it has a lot of recoil in a small package.

I though I read a comment about more rural. If you think you are safer because you are rural, think again. Because of the response time of the Sherrif and limited people you are no safer.

Any gun is better then none. I love my little Tarus 22 cal. as well. 10 rounds no recoil and very accurate. I have heard the old,what do you want to do make then made, you are just going to wound and all that jazz. I have yet to find one of the naysayers volunteer to stand in front of the 22.

No matter the choice, please seek training and go to a self defense training coarse about the gun you and your wife. That might be more valuable then the gun itself? Understand your legal responsibility to own and protect yourself as well.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

My dad just bought the judge. I’ve only shot about 10 rounds through it. When it warms up, we plan to put it through it’s paces more. I was surprised how it shot the .45’s. The 410 left a little to be desired for accuracy. Can’t wait to try it out some more.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If you arent in a hurry I suggest you come to one of our IDO shoots usually held around March. You can learn about and shoot many different models. I intend to coordinate the next outing at the new Bills range in Hudson. Or you could go to Bills and talk to them. They have tons of handguns and should be very helpful in choosing the right one for you. In the end, whatever you decide on, practice practice practice. Both of you should shoot it until the newness and wowfactor are GONE. I’m not saying you have to be crack shots but the gun itself should no big deal. That is the comfort level you need to acheive for a handgun to be truly affective.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

We are all safe on the out skirts of the big city.

Home Invasion Ham Lake.

Look at the bottom of the page and there is link after link to other home burglaries from this area. Few years back noticed a car parked across the street from my house and wondered what was going on. Call police and while on the phone with then to guys walked up to the car, got in and drove off. Found later that day they had kicked in the back door of the home about 4 down from me.

coleycrawler
    Minneapolis

Wish I would have learned how to shoot a handgun before I gave it a go my fist time, I held it like they do in the “movies” flipped it 90 degrees and that HURT to say the least… This was a long time ago

One she can try and feel comfortable with and with proper EDUCATION. You will enjoy your fishing trips better. And so will she. Take her to a shooting range. She just might be a better shot than you

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. You guys have given me a lot to think about. There have been a couple of people who have offered to let my wife and I shoot different models of their own personal guns, and that is truely appreciated!

-Drew

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.