Handheld GPS

• spd800
    NW Metro

Ok here is my dilemma. My H20 took a dump so I’m looking at replacing it. So far the two I’m trying to decide between are the Delorme 60(because it will accept my Navionics chip) or going with the Garmin Etrex 20 with their lake chip. I have no experience with the Garmin chip so if anyone has input on either of these two I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Steve

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Isnt it a shame to feel like its a downgrade when our H2O’s finally wear out? I’m not looking forward to mine with LM chips failing.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

I find it amazing as popular as the H2O’s are-were, why they ever quit making them. Or at least something very similar?

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I couldn’t get rid of my H2O fast enough, glad I did. I have had nothing but a good experiences with my Garmin GPS Map76, the satellite lock is faster, seems to be just a bit more accurate, and won’t chew through batteries. One set of lithiums will last about 1/2 a year. Although you can no longer purchase new Lakemaster chips, you might be lucky and find a used one. The Navionics chip is available, and works fine, but not as much detail on some of the lakes.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

They ALL lock in faster on the gridded road network called Iowa…..

How far to next road? 1 mile. Next road. 1 mile. etc..

spd800
    NW Metro

The more I research I’m now considering the Garmin 78 with the Inland Lake map. Any thoughts on this one?

Quote:

I couldn’t get rid of my H2O fast enough, glad I did. I have had nothing but a good experiences with my Garmin GPS Map76, the satellite lock is faster, seems to be just a bit more accurate, and won’t chew through batteries. One set of lithiums will last about 1/2 a year. Although you can no longer purchase new Lakemaster chips, you might be lucky and find a used one. The Navionics chip is available, and works fine, but not as much detail on some of the lakes.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

a regional (or state) map chip should get you better maps and more in high def. I have not been a fan of the pre-loaded maps. That is a newer unit, and I don’t have any experience with it.

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Quote:

I could not agree with you more. I bought a H2Oc because “everyone said it was great” The only reason it was great was because of the Lakemaster chip you put into it. If you could get new LM chips to put in better hand helds I would sell my H2Oc and upgrade.

The menu on the H2O is horrible it is nearly impossible to read in sunlight. I will get rid of it once I am convinced that that excellent software exists that I can use in another handheld. It is too bad that Lakemaster only supports Hummingbird products. I wish they had a hand held available

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

Quote:

I wish they had a hand held available

For sure. I wounder if we could get enough spotsmen to recommend they make one?

brad__l.
    Dilworth, MN

I have a Garmin Oregon 450, touchscreen which works with a gloved hand unlike smartphones (unless you have texting gloves).

I have the Upper Midwest Fishing Guide maps witch gives you contours on most lakes in ND, MN, SD, IA, WI, IL, & MI. Has over 500 lakes with highly defined contours including public acces points, hazards, etc.

I also have purchased the City Navigator North Amertica, & also have downloaded free topo maps for MN & ND, also snowmobile trail maps for both.

You can go into map settings & enable or disable any combo of maps you want to eliminate some of unwanted clutter by designating only the maps you need for your needs at any particular time.

The best way to do all this without having to switch chips all the time is to buy a 16g (which is what I have) micro sd card or you can go 8g if you want but I put the 16 in so I will have plenty of room for adding things to it.

When you get your maps you are goin to want to get them on DVD-ROM so you can load them to your blank card in gps.

If you go to gpscity on the web they have many videos on how to use & decide on a certain gps.

They just happen to be where I got mine.

Good luck on your decision. I hope I helped & didn’t confuse you in making your decision.

It took me a while to figure out which one to go with, since it was going to be my first handheld, but I am very happy with my oregon 450.

If you think you want a bigger screen then go to the montana.

from what i hear the etrex is a good unit also only thing is I think the oregon does a little more than the etrex.

the oregon does like batteries but 2 AA lithiums last a few days of constant use. I am think of going with rechargeables.

brad__l.
    Dilworth, MN

just got a new boat with an hds 5 onboard which I set up for ice fishing & got the lake insight pro & think that it has pretty good detail with multiple states.
    I have no experiance with lakemaster chips so I cant really compare.

dld24

rechargeable AAs is the way to go I just leave a set charging untill my other ones go dead then switch them out, cheaper than buying more batteries..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.