Potential help for Zebra Mussel Control

• jake-bohnsack
    Wright County Area

Just read a good article in Outdoor News in regards to the fight against Zebra Mussels. Page 4 by Joe Albert if you are interested. Long story short, water tests that were done in a quarry in Illinois show that Zebra Mussels were killed off with rate of 97% with no negative effect on water quality, an no mortality of adult or juvenile fish. This is new, however the research is indicating hope to save our lakes in MN. Zequanox is the chemical being used, check out the article for more information.

Hopefully this means future success to managing our lakes and the future of fishing.

Jake

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

And a good company to invest in.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Hasn’t that stuff been around for a while now?

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

Hasn’t that stuff been around for a while now?

I do believe so. I think it was used for cleaning turbine tubes for hydro electric power plants.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

This is new, however the research is indicating hope to save our lakes in MN.

Save our lakes from what? I’m more interested in saving our sport from legislators. If this helps that fight, I’m all for it.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Quote:

Quote:

This is new, however the research is indicating hope to save our lakes in MN.

Save our lakes from what? I’m more interested in saving our sport from legislators. If this helps that fight, I’m all for it.

x2

sometimes I think all the blabber about invasives is overhyped. If I could wave a magic wand and get rid of zebras I would. I think Silver carp are the biggest concern right now. Milfoil in many cases is good for the fishing and zebra muscles have had positive effects in some lakes. They have both been in Lake Champlain for many a moon, and it’s considered one of the greatest fishing lakes in the US if not the world.

jake-bohnsack
    Wright County Area

I guess I was just saying in general that if we could help curtail Zebra Mussels it would help our lakes, as well as resorts with swimming beaches etc, summer vacations and ultimately the economy. I know that some people have cut their feet swimming in certain lakes. I know we have bigger issues to deal with such as the flying carp and legislative issues, but just thought it was an interesting article to pass on as usually they are all negative regarding invasives. I think the future of fishing will depend on some the research that is done now. I should note also that the article gives more detail, I was just summarizing.

Jake

skeeterbite
    illinois

Lets find a solution to rid our government of all the crooked politicians and put the real people in office, and that would be us We make more sense than any of the crooks anyway

Bassn Dan

Quote:

Lets find a solution to rid our government of all the crooked politicians and put the real people in office, and that would be us We make more sense than any of the crooks anyway

Removing “special interest” money from the election process would be a HUGE step in the right direction to get legislators that work for the people that ELECT them – and not just for the fat cats that finance their campaigns.

Dan

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.