CCW

• Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

I’ve never been one to think carrying a gun for personal protection was all that necessary, and that likely I would never need it even if I had the permit to carry. A few recent events have started to turn that thought process and started to turn my opinion towards the I’d rather have it and not need it side of thinking more so than the I don’t need it side. I’m familiar enough with guns to know how to handle them and what would be required of a decent conceal gun, but my question is where to go to take the class? You type in Rochester, Mn coneal carry class and it comes up with a bunch of different places that you can get it and I’m not sure if it makes a difference who is teaching the class? My other question is, I don’t travel often, but I do have relatives that live out of state (Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, Kansas, etc.) and I’m just wondering if it makes a difference if I just get the MN permit, or if I need to apply to carry in each state individually? From what I have read online if looks as if Utah and Florida are recognized in most states, I guess I’m just not completely sure how the whole process works with applying for a permit in one of those states if you’re not a resident.

Any advice would be appreciated! TIA

Oh, and any decent recommendations for a carry gun are welcome as well. I have in mind what I want but it’s always nice to have someone else’s opinion.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If your questions arent answered here come visit the hunting side. Eiether general forum or shooting tabs should be able to help you out as well.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Glock 40.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Oh, and any decent recommendations for a carry gun are welcome as well. I have in mind what I want but it’s always nice to have someone else’s opinion.

Now there’s a loaded question!

Way too many variables for anyone to point you in the right direction there. I suggest making a day trip to Bill’s Gun Shop and Range in the cities (I hear there’s one coming to Hudson WI too) and try out a few of their rentals.

You’re personal body and activities will point you to the right weapon.

lhprop1
    Eagan

MN and UT will give you 35 or 36 states. If you already have your MN and UT permits, getting the FL permit will only add FL. Not really worth the $100+ beans if you ask me.

The type of gun depends on your body style and how well you can conceal it. You should also be comfortable with the style of gun you carry (single action-double action, double action only, revolver, etc)

Caliber depends on what you’re comfortable with. Yeah, a .45 will make bigger holes than a .22, but the .22 will still make the bad guys leak. Nobody likes to leak. .380 and 9mm are the 2 most common calibers.

aleb
    Butler county Iowa

Mills fleet farm has classes check with them for times and dates. They are usually on the weekends

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Caliber depends on what you’re comfortable with. Yeah, a .45 will make bigger holes than a .22, but the .22 will still make the bad guys leak. Nobody likes to leak. .380 and 9mm are the 2 most common calibers.

If you have the Permit, that shouldn’t stop you from carrying it unconcealed should it??

Cause I think people would stop and think twice before messing with somebody if they were carrying a 44 magnum with the 8 3/8″ barrel like Dirty Harry did

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Quote:

This website should help. It shows which states acknowledge permits from other states, both resident and non-resident.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/

This is a good choice to obtain permit. Cost is $125 in SD to take this class. I think UT is probably your best choice for the states you would like to have a CCW.

pantherpop
    Kalispell, MT

Quote:

I’ve never been one to think carrying a gun for personal protection was all that necessary, and that likely I would never need it even if I had the permit to carry. A few recent events have started to turn that thought process and started to turn my opinion towards the I’d rather have it and not need it side of thinking more so than the I don’t need it side. I’m familiar enough with guns to know how to handle them and what would be required of a decent conceal gun, but my question is where to go to take the class? You type in Rochester, Mn coneal carry class and it comes up with a bunch of different places that you can get it and I’m not sure if it makes a difference who is teaching the class? My other question is, I don’t travel often, but I do have relatives that live out of state (Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, Kansas, etc.) and I’m just wondering if it makes a difference if I just get the MN permit, or if I need to apply to carry in each state individually? From what I have read online if looks as if Utah and Florida are recognized in most states, I guess I’m just not completely sure how the whole process works with applying for a permit in one of those states if you’re not a resident.

Any advice would be appreciated! TIA

All the States you listed will recognize the MN carry permit, so don’t pay for any extras. Carry weapon is what ever YOU ARE most conferable with. A lot of questions should be answered in any class you take.

beck
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

I suggest making a day trip to Bill’s Gun Shop and Range in the cities (I hear there’s one coming to Hudson WI too) and try out a few of their rentals.

You’re personal body and activities will point you to the right weapon.

This is very good advice. You really need something you’re comfortable with and there are lots of variables/options. Do some research online, take the class and see what they recommend, then once you’ve got it narrowed down to a couple options hit up Bill’s and try them both out. Once you’ve had the chance to handle, load, and shoot them you’ll be able to make a solid, educated decision.

One other suggestion…but first, this isn’t an anti-big caliber/big gun post. If you can shoot it well, carry it. Otherwise don’t let your pride get the best of you while shopping/buying. Bigger isn’t always better. Some guys will go with .45s, .44s, etc. but not be able to handle it properly for self defense. You need a pistol that’s the right size for you and a caliber you can quickly get that front sight on target, fire accurately, get back on target, fire again accurately, get back on target, fire again accurately…rinse and repeat. Kill em til they die from it. Defensive shooting is much different than static targets at the range. If you can handle the larger guns/calibers that’s great but they’re not necessary. The .380s, 9’s, .40s, & .45s are great options, especially with the defensive ammo being produced these days. You just need what shoots the best in your hands then shoot the heck out of it until you’re good and proficient with it.

Good luck. There are a lot of great options out there.

drifter295
    Hastings MN

Classes tend to run about 4 hours, it covers all do’s and don’ts ….all instructors are certified but the prices vary. I recently attended one and it only cost 50.00 which included firing at the range, a respectable price. We also received our certificate of completion that day so I was able to go straight to the county office along with my check book and apply for my carrying permit.
    I researched many different training classes online and found that the prices vastly varied for the same course and qualifications, most were around 100.00 but many charge much more than that for the same result. Do your homework and be sure to ask if your class fee covers firing at the range, that can be another few bucks, or it can be included in your initial cost.
    Like you I have no intentions of ever needing to use the skills taught by this course, but I’m glad I have them and the ability to carry.

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Like the others, I say try a lot of different type and caliber of handgun. If you like auto-loaders, that’s great but do try a .38 revolver like Ruger LCR or S&W Bodyguard. Strictly my opinion… revolvers are less complex and therefore safer and more reliable.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Quote:

If you have the Permit, that shouldn’t stop you from carrying it unconcealed should it??

Cause I think people would stop and think twice before messing with somebody if they were carrying a 44 magnum with the 8 3/8″ barrel like Dirty Harry did

No, you become the first taget usually.

To the OP…
    Go take a course or two and find out what is really involved in carry, you’ll be supprised at how little you know about it.

Then decide what and how your going to carry.
    I take a course about every two years to keep up on it.

Al

Trent W
    Chatfield, MN

My wife and I took both our initial class and refresher class at the SE Minnesota Sportsman’s club. We will likely go back next summer when we are due to refresh again.

As for gun recommendations…I carry either a Glock 26 or a Ruger LCP. I like to carry the 9mm Glock during the colder weather months as it is a bulkier gun and easier to conceal under heavier clothing. Some day, I’d like to upgrade the Glock 26 to a Glock 17(.40 S&W). The Ruger is a very thin .380 and is easy to conceal under light clothing.

Maybe just as important as which firearm to carry is the holster you chose. The Glock gets carried in a Blackhawk Check-Six outside the waistband holster. I carry the LCP in a Crossbreed Mini-Tuck inside the waistband holster. That combination is so comfortable, I don’t notice that I am carrying. I also have a Crossbreed Super-Tuck for the Glock, but would need to up-size my jeans (or downsize my waist)to comfortably carry that gun inside the waistband.

No matter which gun and holster you chose, don’t skimp on the belt. A good sturdy leather belt will help keep the firearm stable at your side and distribute the weight.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

if you want a good class that qualifies for Mn. and Utah call Ed Garris 507-254-6333

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Maybe just as important as which firearm to carry is the holster you chose. The Glock gets carried in a Blackhawk Check-Six outside the waistband holster. I carry the LCP in a Crossbreed Mini-Tuck inside the waistband holster. That combination is so comfortable, I don’t notice that I am carrying. I also have a Crossbreed Super-Tuck for the Glock, but would need to up-size my jeans (or downsize my waist)to comfortably carry that gun inside the waistband.

No matter which gun and holster you chose, don’t skimp on the belt. A good sturdy leather belt will help keep the firearm stable at your side and distribute the weight.

X2 on the holster and belt. If this combo is uncomfortable, does not fit well, moves around, binds up ect, you will not carry at all. The perfect combo will fit like a glove and be 100% concealed.

-J.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Do you travel a lot? If not then I dont see a reason to worry about all the other states. Get the MN where you live and its good in all the bordering states. I’m a cc guy but I dont take it on the occasional business trip or fly vacations.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I loved my .45 but with 14+1 rounds it was waaaay to heavy (for me). Like the others have said, if it’s not comfortable, it won’t be worn and that would be like leaving your wallet at home. Worthless.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

My wife and I both have CC permits and we have a variety of weapons to carry, including Glock 26’s, Beretta 92 FS’s, Ruger LCR’s and Kel Tec P3AT’s. Also have a S-W Governor and a S-W Bodyguard. When we are, together one of us usually carries the Glock 26 9mm semi auto, while the other carries a Ruger LCR 38 Special revolver. All of these handguns, except the Kel Tec’s, are equipped with laser sights. My personal favorite to carry is my newly acquired S-W 380 Bodyguard or the 9mm Glock 26, occasionally the Ruger LCR. As the Beretta,s and the S-W Governor are big and bulky guns they stay in the home and are rarely carried concealed on the body.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

x2 on the belt. A good belt makes all the difference.

As for holsters, if you like the crossbreed IWB style, check out this guy. http://theisholsters.com/ Same thing, same quality, but a little bit cheaper.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

The Ruger LCR now comes in .357 along with the original .38+P.

Probably the best all around carry gun made right now.
    Easy to shoot, pleanty of power, light enough to carry, never jams and multiple choices in load.

Al

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Easy to shoot, pleanty of power, light enough to carry, never jams and multiple choices in load.

Al

One downfall I can think of is accuracy down range. I no longer carry my snubby since I cant hit anything past 20 feet let alone 25 yards which is my standard practice range for all my larger handguns now. Otherwise I agree. They are easy to carry, powerfull and reliable.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Easy to shoot, plenty of power, light enough to carry, never jams and multiple choices in load.

Al

One downfall I can think of is accuracy down range. I no longer carry my snubby since I cant hit anything past 20 feet let alone 25 yards which is my standard practice range for all my larger handguns now. Otherwise I agree. They are easy to carry, powerfull and reliable.

I guarantee at 20 feet I’ll hit you with the LCR but no, at 25 yards your getting a bit far out, on the other hand, here in MN your required to flee before fight and 25 yards is in that range where one attorney told me your in/could be that flee range.

Also most conflicts are much closer than 25 yards, but you have a point.
    Unfortunately my 6″ barreled 625 S&W is a bit to heavy and large to conceal.

Al

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.