Air Compressor

• Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Just wondering if anyone knows more about air compressors than I do. Seen a Campbell Hausfeld on CL that caught my interest last night. I know the name brand is typicaly pretty reliable. Not a big compressor (11 gallon, 3.5hp) but would fit what I need it to do. I checked online and it looks like parts and thins are still available but is a discontinued model. Just wondering what thoughts would be on it? Advertised for $100 o.b.o.

stevenoak

If you are going to use it much get one with cast iron cylinders. If you need one to air up a tire now and them the small oilless are fine.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m kinda interested in some input here as well. I have been told that dual stage is an important feature. I’d like to buy one that will last me 10 years plus and still have some value when I sell it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Twin cylinder cast iron with oil is the way to go for longevity. Mine is at least 19 years old and I have never done anything to it but change the oil. Twice. Bigger air tanks run air tools better/longer. Mine is a 4.5 hp 20 gallon laydown tank which I consider on the small end of the scale for air tools.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Main thing is plug it in before buying it. See how long it takes to build pressure. It should be a steady rise. You can also open the drain petcock and see what kind of crap blows out. Some guys never drain them, ever.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

You can also open the drain petcock and see what kind of crap blows out. Some guys never drain them, ever.

The old Sanborn (now Coleman) Dad bought in the ’70’s didn’t have a drain on the tank. Darn thing rusted out and couldn’t be repaired.

Since it was kinda cool looking and Dad’s, I bought a new tank for more money than I care to remember. Came with a bottom drain to take out the moisture.

It’s going to out last me for sure.

Cast iron, oil and a drain valve. Won’t be cheap.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Its a cheap Menards brand. Id pass on 100.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

It all depends upon what you want to use it for. That unit will do you well for a long time if it is occasional use and you drain it after every use. If you are depending on it for your profession you’d be best to look else where and upscale.

I’m the occasional use guy (nailer, tires, etc.) and prefer the pancake style for portability and space.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

It all depends upon what you want to use it for. That unit will do you well for a long time if it is occasional use and you drain it after every use. If you are depending on it for your profession you’d be best to look else where and upscale.

I’m the occasional use guy (nailer, tires, etc.) and prefer the pancake style for portability and space.

X2

When I used to use a lot of air, I had a 8hp Ingersoll Rand commercial unit, I could run a DA, die grinder, spray gun or whatever with no problem, I also had a dedicated 220 circuit for it and it was loud.

I no longer do all that so I now have a 110v small unit I bought at Sears on sale.

If your just filling tires or blowing stuff off, you don’t care about CFMs, recovery time, or anything else a commercial shop has to consider.

If this is an used one, I’d pass, you can pick up a new one for not much more and get some sort of warranty.

Al

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.