My Dad – January 15, 1924 – November 7, 2012

• stevew
    Burnsville, MN

When I was really, really young, my dad saw in me that I was going to love to fish. He was right, I do. He made sure that I got to do lots of it. When I was really young, he baited my hook for me and he untangled all of my messes. My dad was my fishing buddy. A lot of the best memories in my life involve my dad and fish.

When I got older, the only thing that changed was that I took my dad fishing. Later, I baited his hook and I untangled his messes. But, my dad never did stop trying to help me untangle my messes! My dad was still my fishing buddy.

I have a lot of pictures with my dad and me holding fish. I have a thousand more in my head. This one is especially precious to me. I took it the last day we ever fished together. It was a bright, clear day, early in the season. It promised to be warm. My dad did not feel good but he wanted to go fishing anyway. We decided to go to Stillwater to fish off the break wall because it is easy to access and always reliable. That’s also a spot my dad used to take me when I was just a little kid. We had a good morning. We caught lots of fish – mostly Sheephead, a rough fish. Dad was primarily a pan fish kind of guy. Sunfish, crappies and silver bass from that same river delighted him the most. Later, though, dad stopped making a distinction between pan fish, game fish and rough fish. He was happy to catch any kind of fish. He was also perfectly happy when we did not catch any fish – it was our time together that mattered the most to him.

That morning did get warm. Dad was tired so I asked him if he wanted to wrap it up. He did. If I would have known that that would be the last time we would ever fish together, after 55 years or so of fishing together, hundreds of adventures, all of them good – If I knew that that would be the last time, I would have asked him if he could spend just ten minutes more with me. I would have tacked on another ten. Who knows, we might have found one more mess to untangle together…

My dad has done so much for me, across so many things. On the day I was born, I was placed in very good hands. I am lucky and I know it. I am grateful and I think he knew it because I have always made it a point to tell him. But, today is a good day to tell him again…

Dad, thanks for everything you have done for all of us. You were a good dad and a good husband to Mom. You may not have fully realized it, but everything you did for all of us has made so much possible for all of us. And, Dad, thanks for taking me fishing. You were and you are and you always will be my fishing buddy.

stuart
    Mn.

Your a very lucky man to of had him for so many years.I’m sure he is in very good hands now.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Great read. That is how a person should be remembered and celebrated.

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Steve: there are no words that I can say that will help you through the loss of a perfect father. May God help you down that path. Drew s/w WI.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

sorry for your loss, keep on remembering all them good times you’ve had with him!

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Sir: Just remember Jesus is a fisherman>I’m sure your Dad and He are having fun, reminiscing, and praying for you and yours now….Peace be with you…

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

My he Rest in Peace.

norge

What a beautiful, touching piece that says a great deal about your Dad and even more about you.
    Thanks for sharing that!
    Lloyd

coleycrawler
    Minneapolis

Wow. The female hormones came out.
    My dad brought me up fishing/hinting I respect more than he knows for that. As a parent now I understand. (tangles, re-rigging….)
    His wisdom passed to you and will effect people in a positive way forever.

Sorry for your loss

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

WOW. What a tribute. He sounds like someone I would have liked to known.

My condolences to you and your family.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Steve, I think your Father passed onto you much more than you realize. So sorry to hear of your loss.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Wow Steve. That was a great post. I’m sorry for the loss of your father.

a-and-t
    By Rochester,MN

Sounds like you had a father that every boy/man would want . You are very lucky to have that kind of relationship with your dad. Thanks for sharing your story.

run&gun
    MN

great tribute. sounds like a great man and sorry for your loss.

TJ
    Hammond, WI

I must have got something in my eye while reading that Great tribute and you both have alot to be proud of. Sounds like the relationship that most fathers and sons dream of.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Steve, there are some that never knew their dad. You are one of the lucky ones that has the treasure of memories.

That photo hit’s the spot.

soldiersdad1
    La Crosse, WI

GREAT post/story, Steve. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Very sorry for the loss of your dad and fishing buddy. Thank God, for having such a GREAT mentor in life. There’s A TON of people that can/could only WISH they had that kind of relationship with their dad or mom for that matter! Your dad sounds like one HECK OF A GOOD MAN!! I can relate to your story, but from the other side. My VERY BEST FRIEND and fishing/hunting buddy in the whole world, is 29yrs. old and a combat Veteran just like me. He’s not only my best friend and fishing/hunting buddy he is MY son.

May God Bless you and your entire family and continue to give you all, the love and strength you need to get through this tough time. Take care and God Bless.

tbrooks11

Wonderful story Steve, may he rest in peace. My music playlist was playing while I read the story, and ironically enough the song that was played at my grandfathers funeral started playing. Please listen to this song, I can guarantee you will start crying, but I can also guarantee it will be the happiest/proudest moment you can have while thinking about your passed loved one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpKBMywiEjw

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Very sorry for to here of your Dads passing,the memories and his spirit will be with you forever.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

Beautiful tribute! Sorry for your loss.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Sorry for your loss.

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Thanks for all of the good thoughts. IDO folks are friends I never knew I had! Service was today. Tough. Lots of fishing stories shared!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.